I noticed alot of people saying that you should learn the notes on the fretboard as basic theory. That is the dumbest thing ever. Who can learn 132 notes on a 22 fret guitar or 144 notes on a 24 fret? It is more logical to learn the major, minor, sus4, P5, triad shapes first. Knowing the shapes of each triad will help to learn the scales and notes in chunks. Learning by notes is trivial. Thoughts?
It seems daunting, but it's not that hard. I know most of the notes on fretboard in standard tuning. It wouldn't be hard to learn them in alt tunings, either. Just haven't put in the time. Although, I'm in alternate tunings almost constantly lately.
There are only 12 notes. They repeat themselves. There are many more scales than their are notes.

So no, it isn't 'the dumbest thing ever'. It's getting to know the instrument you are playing.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Once you learn the open strings and octave locations, it becomes easier.

It would certainly be helpful to also learn chord shapes, yes, but it helps just as much to know each of the notes in the chord and their relative value.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by spiderjump
I noticed alot of people saying that you should learn the notes on the fretboard as basic theory. That is the dumbest thing ever. Who can learn 132 notes on a 22 fret guitar or 144 notes on a 24 fret?

Everything repeats cyclically, so it's not really a huge burden.
Quote by spiderjump
I noticed alot of people saying that you should learn the notes on the fretboard as basic theory. That is the dumbest thing ever. Who can learn 132 notes on a 22 fret guitar or 144 notes on a 24 fret? It is more logical to learn the major, minor, sus4, P5, triad shapes first. Knowing the shapes of each triad will help to learn the scales and notes in chunks. Learning by notes is trivial. Thoughts?

yeah, that is the dumbest thing ever. who would learn a language by learning the alphabet first?

by now, you've hopefully realized that i'm speaking sarcastically. knowing the shapes does not in any way help you to learn notes. the only way you learn the notes is by actually learning the notes. comparatively speaking, what you're saying is that you should learn words before you learn the alphabet. so if i was teaching you japanese, it'd be more logical for me to just throw things like テレビ, コンピューター, and アイスクリーム at you, hoping that you'd come to understand the alphabet in time, yes?

you might want to rethink your logic.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.