And I'm talkin the whole kit. Amp, pedals...pretty much everything BUT my guitar. So right now I have my eye on 2 different half stacks and as for pedals...I'm completely lost. I've never owned one, I'm not sure if I should go with stomp boxes, a multi-effect pedal, etc. So UG, I desperately need some advice. Here's the 2 Half-Stacks I have my eye on.

B-52 LS100 Head/ LS412a Cabinet
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B-52-LS100-and-LS412A-Half-Stack?sku=482088

Randall RX120RH Head/ RX412 Cabinet
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RH-and-RX412-Half-Stack?sku=481735

Do they seem like a good Half-Stacks? If not what would you recomend? I really would like getting a half stack, but I do want to try and keep this whole kit revamp at $1000 or under (I am willing to go over depending on how much I earn from this summer job I have) So thanks for reading everyone and I look forward to your input and advice.

Have a good one,
Stephen

PS: Pedals...REALLY need some input here. Also...Line 6. I'm very iffy about this company because my amp's a Spider III (yeah I was an idiot) and as we all know..they're crap to put it mildly. I'm never trusting that company for an amp ever again...but are their pedals anygood?

Thanks again for reading.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
And I'm talkin the whole kit. Amp, pedals...pretty much everything BUT my guitar. So right now I have my eye on 2 different half stacks and as for pedals...I'm completely lost. I've never owned one, I'm not sure if I should go with stomp boxes, a multi-effect pedal, etc. So UG, I desperately need some advice. Here's the 2 Half-Stacks I have my eye on.

B-52 LS100 Head/ LS412a Cabinet
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B-52-LS100-and-LS412A-Half-Stack?sku=482088

Randall RX120RH Head/ RX412 Cabinet
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120RH-and-RX412-Half-Stack?sku=481735

Do they seem like a good Half-Stacks? If not what would you recomend? I really would like getting a half stack, but I do want to try and keep this whole kit revamp at $1000 or under (I am willing to go over depending on how much I earn from this summer job I have) So thanks for reading everyone and I look forward to your input and advice.

Have a good one,
Stephen

PS: Pedals...REALLY need some input here. Also...Line 6. I'm very iffy about this company because my amp's a Spider III (yeah I was an idiot) and as we all know..they're crap to put it mildly. I'm never trusting that company for an amp ever again...but are their pedals anygood?

Thanks again for reading.

Standard UG response but pretty much on the money:

You don't need a 1/2 stack; get a tube combo instead. 50w 2x12 is more than enough for 90% of applications (probably more tbh.)

Next; what guitar do you have? Are you keeping any of your current pedals? What style(s) do you play? Whose tones do you admire?

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I'd look at combo, there is much better out there for the same price.

As for pedals, Line 6 makes some decent pedals, but there are better. FullTone pedals are awesome, the Hardwire series pedals are nice, Delta Labs makes some decent cheap pedals.
As far as the pedals go the multi effect will of course have more effect in it but the downside is you do not have as much control over how to effect sounds. the stomp boxes will cost more but have more control over the sounds of the effect
Quote by power freak
Standard UG response but pretty much on the money:

You don't need a 1/2 stack; get a tube combo instead. 50w 2x12 is more than enough for 90% of applications (probably more tbh.)

Next; what guitar do you have? Are you keeping any of your current pedals? What style(s) do you play? Whose tones do you admire?

I have no pedals right now. Like I said, I have a Spider III, pedals through those are a joke. The only experience i have with them is test playing a Boss Turbo Distortion pedal and a few Kool Kats (hated those things).

I love hard rock (AC/DC, Motorhead), classic metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest,), and I'm beginning to like a lot of newer metal to (AX7, BFMV). But in the end I'll listen to and play anything but rap and hip hop. But yeah, my heart's in metal and hardrock.

If it helps my favorite guitarist s are probably.

Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
Zakk Wylde - Black Label Society
the guys from AX7
'Fast' Eddie Clark
James Hetfield
Have a good one,
Phoenix
That's the problem. I can't stand modeling amps...but I'm undecided on my tone now that I'm liking this modern stuff...

Until a few weeks ago I would've told you I'd kill to get a killer 80's clasic metal tone similar to Priest, Maiden, Dio, Ozzy and the other greats. But now I'm not so sure...

The way I see it, it's still amazing music. It will never be replaced...but times have changed. It's time for some new stuff. So I guess tones like AX7, Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, etc is what I'm shooting for.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Meh...I'm not buying anything till I try it at the local Guiatr Center. But it'd have to be one hell of an amp for me to buy it if it's Line 6. I got burned by them once and now I'm hesitent to go near their stuff again.

But alright then. Do you guys have some amp's you'd recomend then? Also what pedals would you recomend for the tone I'm going for? Distortion is a must for me, I'm also thinking a delay, phase and maybe a wah wah...

By the way, sorry I forgot to mention this before power freak. Didn't notice it until now.

I have 2 guitars. a Peavy Predator Plus w/ Floyd Rose (Really beginning ot hate it, won't hold tune, the tremelo bar has fallen off)

and then I recently aquired a 9 year old B.C. Rich Mockingbird (It's labelled a 'Bronze Series' on the headstock....does that mean anything to anyone? I haven't been able to find it listed anywhere on the internet. Even after a serial code number search)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Alright...I realy don't want a modeling amp. I don't want to copy someone else's tone. I want to make my own. I have nothing but respect for the musicians whose amps and effects were put into those amps, but I'm not them. I'm me.

guess I better stop before I get a rant going. Long story short I'm looking ofr an amp that isn't a modeling amp, has no digital effects, and can have a good metal tone (think AX7, BFMV, Godsmack, etc)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
You really don't understand modeling amps, do you?

good modeling amps aren't copying peoples tones, they're emulating actual amps. Often times, with great success!
Check out AxeFX, for one.

Dave Mustaine uses/used a Vetta at one point I believe. It's rather close minded of you, TBH, to blacklist an entire company based on one product, that isn't even representative of their whole series of products.

A lot of those bands sound radically different, hence me talking about modeling amps.
Considering i've only owned 1 amp for the 2 years I've been playing guitar (and a shitty one at that) I guess it makes sense that I'm close minded.

So I'm sorry. I'll try and approach Line 6 with an unbiased view, but no Spiders. I'm not bending there.

And your right, I have no idea what a good modeling amp is like. The few I've seen the shop owner said was based off of songs not amps. So I didn't know this...

So how much is a good modeling amp? And Tube VS Solid State what would everyone at UG recomend? Plus what's the difference aside from price? Tube has a bit of a natural echo and reverb right?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
No, tube doesn't necessarily has natural echo and reverb. Haha
some tube amps do have a reverb tank, but not all.

The difference is hard to explain. Tube amps often sound more harmonically rich and fuller when dialed in right and turned up. They're much more sensitive to playing dynamics...a lot of things. You'll just have to try one out.

As far as which is better, there's no real right answer. It depends on the guitar player, ultimately.

You can find Vetta heads for 600-800 bucks on eBay, and I see used Flextone IIIs for 250-400 often.

And when in ANY of my posts did I say to consider a Spider?
trust me when i say this, you dont need a stack. i thought so when i started out seven or eight years ago. 50 watts is plenty and so is one or two 12" speakers. in most gigging situations you would mic your amp anyways, so all you need is tone and not size.

i would look for a 5150/6505 Peavey 2x12" combo. thats what all of the newer "metalcore" guitarists are using. the 5150/6505's are all tube, and sound great.

i havent played any of the bugeras, but i would look into some form of bugera possibly. again a 1x12" or 2x12" combo. again these are all tube and from what i hear the quality is decent.

for effects, i would stay away from line 6. they aren't known to be great, and they aren't cheap either for what you get. i would stay away from the typical boss stuff too, as there is a lot better out there.

all you should really need, as a previous poster stated is a tuner and maybe a boost, for metal. for a wah on your budget with the $1000 for amp and accessories i would go for something dunlop. i would look into a 535Q or something. if you enlarge your budget, or get everything for less, i would look into a fulltone clyde wah. they are amazing, but you pay for it. i will be getting a clyde one of these days when i have a few extra bucks lying around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Alright, I guess I'll decide between tube and solid state when i go to Guitar Center.

But I gotta say, that price is more then a little scary for the Vetta. Just what amp(s) does it have programmed in it?

Also for pedals. Whats a good distortion pedal? Looking for something that can take a bit of a beating, can do some good hard rock and metal tones (as usual I guess Godsmack, AX7, BFMV, etc are bands to use as a basis) and is decently priced.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Alright, I guess I'll decide between tube and solid state when i go to Guitar Center.

But I gotta say, that price is more then a little scary for the Vetta. Just what amp(s) does it have programmed in it?

Also for pedals. Whats a good distortion pedal? Looking for something that can take a bit of a beating, can do some good hard rock and metal tones (as usual I guess Godsmack, AX7, BFMV, etc are bands to use as a basis) and is decently priced.

if you get good distortion from your amp, you will have no need for a distortion pedal, unless you are looking for a boost. then i would advise some form of tubescreamer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by forsaknazrael
^fail, line 6 has some great effects that a lot of pros use. DL-4 anyone?

This... And the filter pro rack thing is some of the most fun you can have with 6 strings; I found most of the sounds unusable in a musical context but hours of fun making alien sounds none the less.

To answer the original question; I would suggest a "marshall" styled amp + tubescreamer for the '80s styled metal stuff, then a pedal with slightly more balls for the heavier stuff (xotic BB booster or Ibanez/maxon sd9 are good for this.) If you're one of those "distortion must all be from the amp" guys the peavey 5150/equivalent newer version would probably fit the bill but I personally don't like this amp and think boosting a lower gain amp sounds infinitely better for all but "sludge metal" applications.

(If you couldn't guess I'm not up on metal terms, by sludge I mean downtuned, stupid amounts of gain to the point you can't even make out the notes are from a guitar)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
As said before, a stack/half-stack isn't really needed. Saying that, I do own the same Randall half-stack you were looking at and I love it. Great tones can come outta that thing. When I bought it, I was mostly playing Metallica style metal and it suited perfectly (far as I know, Kirk Hammet uses Randall amps). Now I've moved onto different styles and I'm still really happy with the Randall. All sorts of tones can come out of it. Phenomenal bang for your buck.

As for pedals, your taste doesn't scream the need for them. But it might be cool to invest in a multi-fx unit. Great fun. If you are, I'd recommend one suited to live usage. Such as Boss ME-70 or Line 6 X3 Live.
Last edited by homeless-john at Jul 2, 2010,
Try a JCM2000 Ts.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by power freak
I would suggest a "marshall" styled amp + tubescreamer for the '80s styled metal stuff, then a pedal with slightly more balls for the heavier stuff (xotic BB booster or Ibanez/maxon sd9 are good for this.) If you're one of those "distortion must all be from the amp" guys the peavey 5150/equivalent newer version would probably fit the bill

I don't mind natural distortion from my amp...but I would prefer a pedal. It'd give me much more control and the ability to switch between relatively clean and distorted in the middle of a song.

And to answer your question no I'm not looking ofr that much distortion. I can't stand it when people turn the gain and boost so high that you can't make out the notes. I swear that noise your hearing is the guitar screaming out for help.

But what do you mean by a "Marshall", there's a knockoff company of Marshall that's cheaper? I love how those things sound but I don't want to sell an arm and a leg (I need the arm to play )

Checked out the Peavy 6505 2x12 combo...gotta say that thing looks nice. How are the cleans on that? I guess I mean could I play something as light as Nothing Else Matters on that? But it definatly looks like it's worth the price and atleast giving a testplay and buying if I like it.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, you've really opened my eyes that there's a lot more to think about then Tube VS Solid state and Halfstack VS Combo. Please keep the advice and comments up.

Have a good one,
Stephen
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Most high gain amps are going to have channel switches to switch between a clean channel and a distorted channel.

He means the Marshall sound - the tone. Don't think of it as knockoffs. There's nothing wrong with accepting that a smaller company does the Marshall tones better. That said, IMO, most modern Marshalls don't really have the gain or voicing for modern metal. Something like Splawn, a Marshall-toned amp company, would, though.

Cleans are alright on the 6505, nothing to write home about. They should have one at a local Guitar Center or something.
Quote by Phoenix Reborn

But what do you mean by a "Marshall", there's a knockoff company of Marshall that's cheaper? I love how those things sound but I don't want to sell an arm and a leg (I need the arm to play )

Checked out the Peavy 6505 2x12 combo...gotta say that thing looks nice. How are the cleans on that? I guess I mean could I play something as light as Nothing Else Matters on that? But it definatly looks like it's worth the price and atleast giving a testplay and buying if I like it.

I put marshall in quotes since I wanted a simple way of characterising the "british crunch" sound, I didn't necessarily mean "buy a marshall!". If you're dead set on a marshall but want to save some coin then ceriatone might be cheaper? I'm not sure as I don't really keep up to date with marshall/ceriatones dealings.

I don't like the peavey cleans at all, but I play clean almost exclusively so am pretty picky in that respect. It's certainly worth a try though you;ve got nothing to lose.

Quote by Phoenix Reborn
That's the problem. I can't stand modeling amps...but I'm undecided on my tone now that I'm liking this modern stuff...

Until a few weeks ago I would've told you I'd kill to get a killer 80's clasic metal tone similar to Priest, Maiden, Dio, Ozzy and the other greats. But now I'm not so sure...

The way I see it, it's still amazing music. It will never be replaced...but times have changed. It's time for some new stuff. So I guess tones like AX7, Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, etc is what I'm shooting for.

Nobody does it like that anymore. The Judas Priest/Motorhead/Dio show I went to in 2007 obliterated any of the modern metal shows I've seen.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yeah you pretty much nailed it on the head forsaknazrael...Marshall's good but not what I'm looking for.

So I think it'll be between that Peavy 6505 or that Randall half-stack. Depends on which one I like the sound of better. Or can afford.

So with the amp issue done, what are some effetc(s) pedals you'd recomend? After reading your comments I think I'd prefer stompboxes. I probably wouldn't use over half the effects in a multieffects pedal and I'd want to be able to control the sound out of it completely.

So yeah, what would some good effects be? Also, I know the Peavy has a lot of natural distortion...but would it be a good idea to get a distortion pedal so I could switch between 2 levels of distrtion during a song?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Got any specific pedals you'd recomend?

This is probably a very newbie question but...what exactly is a pedal tuner? Something to benifet your pedal(s) or an effect? The only thing I can think of is that it might simulate different tunings on your guitar
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Last edited by Phoenix Reborn at Jul 2, 2010,
Yeah I've heard some good things about that,what about the Wailing Demon wah wah pedal from Ibanez?
Have a good one,
Phoenix