How do you define good rhythm playing? I've heard people who know their way around a chord progression such as Jimi Hendrix and John Frusciante, but I've also heard Izzy Stradlin being called a great rhythm player. What makes him good?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Id say if they contributed to the feel and swing of the song, then they are pretty good at what they do
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
Well, how can I get better at rhythm playing?

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
By practicing playing different rhythms, if you can master playing a regea rhythm then go straight to a metal rhythm on a whim then you have your rhythm playing down. I still can't do it and I consider myself an excellent rhythm player.

Mainly, just practice other peoples songs, try Billy Talent, they have a nice and hard rhythm, learn it and you just learned some cool rhythm techniques. Try learning some Chevelle rhythm, simple songs, but a good rhythm style to learn. Learn some Metallica rhythms, and so on and so fourth.

Learn other people's rhythms and it will help you make up your own.
Well,for me, there are two parts to being a successful rhythm guitarist

The feel of the playing, as in coming up with creative and great sounding patterns and beats, comes as something to be prized in a rhythm player, as coming up with catchy movements that carry a song is one of the more important parts of songwriting.

the second part is chord knowledge. Being able to envision and create beautiful progeressions is key to making the next great song, and is one of the things that would make you stand out from the general crowd.
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
^+1

The rhythm player is probably as responsible as the drummer for the overall feel of a song. Happy, sad, aggressive - if the rhythm doesn't get that across, nothing's going to happen. Being a great rhythm player means that you can lock into the beat of a song and communicate that feel while providing the groundwork for the lead guitarist and/or vocalist.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by GoIrish668
I've also heard Izzy Stradlin being called a great rhythm player.

This is absolutely true.
Izzy definitely deserves more credit for Guns N' Roses' sound than he gets.
Don't get me wrong, I like Slash as much as the next guy, but I say Izzy was more important to that band than Slash was.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
This is absolutely true.
Izzy definitely deserves more credit for Guns N' Roses' sound than he gets.
Don't get me wrong, I like Slash as much as the next guy, but I say Izzy was more important to that band than Slash was.

Not what the thread is about.

Quote by theogonia777
Quote by slayerfrk
when i think of good rhythm i think of veil of maya or meshuggah or after the burial. thats real rhythm. thats probably not the music you like though.

Lamb of God is some sick rhythm too. Man Chris Addler just throws down the best drum beats to go with some killer riffs. I've been trying to learn some of their songs but omg it's so hard to figure out their rhythm.

You want to try some of the hardest open string playing, play some of their stuff Blood Of the Scribe is a good one to check out from them.
Quote by GoIrish668
Not what the thread is about.

Oh well.
I felt the need to say that, so I did.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.