I've played guitar for 6 years now, all that time I played I never taught myself solos, just riffs. Now in a band im in, we're thinking about playing Peace Sells by Megadeth, as well as some other fast thrash metal solos, i know plenty of scales and exercises that are supposed to improve soloing, but I feel like when I am trying to learn solos I always have a rhythm mindset and need to do powercords, is there a certain mindset i need for soloing? (Sorry if this makes no sense, Im sort of in a rush )
It's probably just cause you've been doing rhythm so long.It's gonna take some time to switch over.Just keep practicing it'll come to you.
I have learned that when practicing if all you do is exercises then your playing will sound like that. If you are not currently doing it, start learning complete songs. That's what I had to start doing. In the beginning I was just exercises but now I am focusing more on songs
Sorry, but there is no way whatsoever that will be able to go from not soloing at all to playing 15 NPS in a few days.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Sorry, but there is no way whatsoever that will be able to go from not soloing at all to playing 15 NPS in a few days.

ferretking has the right idea.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Ok well thats pretty bad, that is one of the worst songs you could have picked for a solo... Chris Poland is like freaking lightning in that song.
You will seriously need to take it back and learn some AC/DC solos or something easy, scales don't really help trust me... Its completely different, scales prepare you for one note after another straight in time stuff, Megadeth know their shit and do whatever they want.
My Advice? Get the power tab off of this site... Set the rate of play right down, try and play along with a metronome, build muscle memory and eventually speed it up
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win