Hello, my band just got a bassist, who happens to be my cousin. We play an odd mixture, and we kind of sound like Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, and Mastodon smashed together into tastiness. Here's the catch though, we don't have a bassist up to those standards. For now, I've picked up my friends bass, and laid down some basic bass lines that fit. But I want my cousin to stay in the band, and have him not feel like an idiot while we're practicing.
Are there any techniques I should try and teach him?
Are there any phenomenal bassists besides the ones from the bands we're influenced by?
And is there any advice for a beginning bass player?
Thanks
For those bands mixed I would say look at Justin Chancellor (spelling?) from Tool and Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne. I can see their styles working well with what you described.

Edit: Yup just tell him to practice and get a feel for the instrument.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Jul 1, 2010,
If possible, have him take lessons from a teacher. There's no better way to learn.

Failing that have him get a book(s). Hal Leonard's books come well recommended.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
he should take lessons, give him the time he needs and make sure he keeps practising :P
Yeah you need to cram some music theory lesson books down his neck and tell him that if he wants to stay in he needs to improve. It's incentive as well as testing his attitude towards the band.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom