So I turned 13 about a month ago and decided I want an electric guitar. My mom will let me get one but unless I join the school band I would have to pay for it myself. I am deciding I want either an epiphone ( for I cant afford Gibson ), a fender, or as a third option, an Ibanez. I am only willing to spend $150 and my mom said she might pay for the amp and cord. I am interesed in a Classic Rock sound like the bands AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Boston, and Hendrix. Most use Les Pauls I know and I originally wanted a Paul but like said earlier cant afford one. My friend who has been playing guitar for years says all guitars can sound almost the same if you set them to the right setting (and amps do let you chose your tone,volume, pickup etc.) is that true? I dont care for Hardcore Metal or Screamo.

Help is appreciated.
150$ isn't gonna get you anything your gonna really want to play
ummm can you go used and you should find out Forsure if she will get you an amp or else the guitar would be a bit useless
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
If you save up a bit more, like 200-250, you can get a really decent starter guitar if shes willing to get you an amp and such. I've heard good reviews from Ibanez starters but I dont particularly like Ibanez. but if you can put about 200-250 into a guitar, you can get a decent les paul (or Agile, which are cheaper and good quality), and depending on how much your mom can put to an amp, you can make your choice pretty versitile. Ive heard good reviews about a low wattage Roland Cube or Peavey Vyper as amp choices.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
http://www.rondomusic.com/callisto2ts.html

SX callisto

so it's a 140 dollar LP copy. it has a serviceable bridge and set of pickups, it's not made of basswood like many other guitars at this price range, you can adjust the action easily since you'd be getting it online. it looks like an LP and it's got humbuckers though I doubt they're anything special really.

i'd say save up to 225 dollars and get this Agile 2000 it's a really solid guitar for beginners or even more advanced players.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2711.html
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
First of all, don't buy anything without playing it first. If you have no idea how to play (which is the boat I was in when I started), get a friend who plays to come with you and test drive any instrument you're thinking of buying.

Also, I would strongly recommend going used if you have the patience to sweep your local craigslist for guitars. Since you're younger it might be a little difficult to talk your mom into driving you all over the place to check out used gear, but it could be worth it if you find yourself a deal.

If you MUST go with a new guitar at that price, definitely go ibanez or squier over epiphone - a good buddy of mine works at a local music store literally refuses to sell any epiphones priced below 300 due to what utter shit the electronics are in their lower end models.

What I'm trying to say is for christ's sake don't buy a LP special II.
Join the school band, it'll be worth it
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
Quote by scrubzyful
Join the school band, it'll be worth it

+1

Perhaps your school band will have some extra odds and ends for you to play around with. Plus, being a part of a team will keep you motivated to the hobby.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
The best thing you can do at this point is go to a guitar store and try out guitars in your price range - get an idea of what's out there, and much more importantly, get a feel for what you like and don't like. Do not buy blindly, or based off of looks. Go and find something that is comfortable for you.

If you find nothing, or if you feel no difference between guitars, then I highly recommend guitars from Rondo.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

All their stuff is way better quality than the prices suggest. You can get some pretty cool shapes and colors for good prices , and the quality will definitely be there, much better than big name guitars for the same price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would say don't go squier or epiphone for under 200$... its like finding a needle in a haystack to get something anywhere near good.
Contrary to what archenemyfan said... I would personally go for a yamaha pacifica... i've heard nothing but good things about those as starter guitars.
I wouldn't say go to a music store to try out guitars if you've never played before, cause you won't really understand the various feels at that point... Basically whatever neck you learn on is what your hands will get used to when playing and learning.
If you learn on a les paul... that is the type of neck you will prefer.
Obviously don't buy on looks... but this is just my opinion, it doesn't particularly matter at this point what make you buy... Just look for a guitar that will last you a long time
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson

Contrary to what archenemyfan said... I would personally go for a yamaha pacifica... i've heard nothing but good things about those as starter guitars.

uhmm,contrary?dude,I am the one who suggested the pacifica to him?
Yea, I think some of yall are right. I actually considered getting a Les Paul Special II for the reviews on the Gibson website were nothing but good, and I dont want an ugly Les Paul Jr. I've seen Fender Strats for sale for about $120 dollars at a music store. And could someone clarify if it's true that you can make most guitars sound the same if you set the tone and amp settings the same?

Thanks.
Quote by Herpman97
Yea, I think some of yall are right. I actually considered getting a Les Paul Special II for the reviews on the Gibson website were nothing but good, and I dont want an ugly Les Paul Jr. I've seen Fender Strats for sale for about $120 dollars at a music store. And could someone clarify if it's true that you can make most guitars sound the same if you set the tone and amp settings the same?

Thanks.

Yes, if you have a good amp and can play good then you can make just about any guitar work for just about any style. However, a guitar with humbuckers wont sound EXACTLY the same as a guitar with single coils, and a guitar with cheap pickups and electronics wont sound the same as a higher end guitar. But for starting out, a good amp is the most important thing because if you have a good tone, youll want to play more than if your tone sucks. That being said, I would suggest these:

Guitar: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-006-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=518183
I havent had any experience with this guitar, but every other Schecter ive played has had great quality for the price, so I would trust them.

As for an amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908
My friend has this Vypyr and it can get pretty much any tone you want. Plus, its just $100.

So theres a good guitar and amp for $300. Good luck with your playing
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Actually, since yall have been suggesting it, I am seeming to like the idea of getting an Agile or SX. Like I said, I like the design of the Les Paul, and for a low price even better! But is Agile or SX better. Where can you get one of these Guitars. I probably wont be able to buy one of these online (remember Im only 13). I have heard some people say these guitars are the same or even better than the $3000 Gibsons. But also, would this design be ok for someone my age. I heard LP's are heavy and they have Jumbo frets. Is this a problem or is it not a big deal?

Thanks
Quote by Herpman97
So I turned 13 about a month ago and decided I want an electric guitar. My mom will let me get one but unless I join the school band I would have to pay for it myself. I am deciding I want either an epiphone ( for I cant afford Gibson ), a fender, or as a third option, an Ibanez. I am only willing to spend $150 and my mom said she might pay for the amp and cord. I am interesed in a Classic Rock sound like the bands AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Boston, and Hendrix. Most use Les Pauls I know and I originally wanted a Paul but like said earlier cant afford one. My friend who has been playing guitar for years says all guitars can sound almost the same if you set them to the right setting (and amps do let you chose your tone,volume, pickup etc.) is that true? I dont care for Hardcore Metal or Screamo.

Help is appreciated.
This is true, and not true. Any electric guitar can become heavily distorted, or have a clean sound. To the untrained ear, you won't hear much of a difference between lower end and higher end guitars and amps, but over time you will begin to notice the nuances in tone. I suggest you play around at a guitar store, and find a guitar that suits you, and feels comfortable to you. Squier, epiphone, Ibanez, doesn't really matter. Whatever you like best will serve as a good starter guitar.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Herpman97
Actually, since yall have been suggesting it, I am seeming to like the idea of getting an Agile or SX. Like I said, I like the design of the Les Paul, and for a low price even better! But is Agile or SX better. Where can you get one of these Guitars. I probably wont be able to buy one of these online (remember Im only 13). I have heard some people say these guitars are the same or even better than the $3000 Gibsons. But also, would this design be ok for someone my age. I heard LP's are heavy and they have Jumbo frets. Is this a problem or is it not a big deal?

Thanks

As far as I know, Agile guitars are online only. They have a great return policy and customer service though, from what I've heard.
I Really think you should try going to a music store and ask to play a few guitars. In my opinion. Those Lower End SG's From Epiphone have amazing tone for a very light and small guitar. its very Deep and has a nice warm Sound. I use the Epi SG that i bought from Sam Ash (Epiphone SG Express in Worn Black) to play anything from AC/DC to like All THat Remains. THose bands have completely different Genres. Yet its very close to the tone youd expect from a Lower End Gibson SG. But If you buy that Epi. I Suggest getting some decent Gibson Humbuckers put in. If You cant afford it. try gettingg Seymour Duncans. I Porbably Wouldnt Do That Right Away. It Took me 5 Months To Decide what pickups i should put in. Then i got a Tunomatic Bridge and New Hardware. i would rate the Epiphone SG Express a 4/5 In Tone. 2/5 in Hardware. 5/5 in Comfort, And 5/5 Your Gonna like it. Its a very Versatile Lower-End Guitar. It Was My First Guitar. and ive had it for a few years now. I Love it and i still play it. Now i got it repainted.
I Really think you'll like it..

The Guitar : http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1630

And if Your Mom really complains about noise in the House. i suggest getting this Good old 15 Watt.

As For an Amp i REALLY Recommend : http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Guitar-Amp-Pack?sku=502846&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=419808972
Quote by Herpman97

Thanks

Agile is generally higher quality than SX, especially when it comes to the LP copies. I'd suggest saving up and going for an Agile if you buy from Rondo.

They're online-only, but as someone mentioned already, their customer service and return policy are awesome and you shouldn't have too many problems if at all dealing with them.

As for Agiles being the same or better than top-of-the-line Gibson LP's, that is entirely false. It's widely agreed that Agile 2000's > Epiphones up to the Standard model. The guitars themselves are equal-ish but the Agile is $200 compared to $400-600 for an Epiphone.

Agile 3000's are comparable to high end Epiphones and to a lesser extent low end Gibsons, again because of the price vs quality.

The guitars are quite heavy at 9-10 pounds. If you play standing up it might be a problem (My shoulder got sore quickly when I first got my AL-3100) but if you're mainly going to be sitting then obviously it's fine. (Wide straps for standing are ftw)
and fret size shouldn't matter.

Hope I was of some help
Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
I would say don't go squier or epiphone for under 200$... its like finding a needle in a haystack to get something anywhere near good.
I wouldn't say go to a music store to try out guitars if you've never played before, cause you won't really understand the various feels at that point... Basically whatever neck you learn on is what your hands will get used to when playing and learning.
If you learn on a les paul... that is the type of neck you will prefer.
Obviously don't buy on looks... but this is just my opinion, it doesn't particularly matter at this point what make you buy... Just look for a guitar that will last you a long time

I agree with the Pacifica.
Few months ago i bought my Pacifica, as my first electric guitar.
It's a great guitar to start with, just basic with a realy nice sound.
Nope you all got it a little wrong I think.
Go out buy the cheapest piece of shit you can get
OR
jack one of your friends' guitar... by the way I'm from the UK jack=steal, borrow, whatever man.

AND

Learn to play some basic stuff like open chords, basic riffing/scales and then when you can actually play, hear and you know about the instrument (be obsessive, be a nerd go on Youtube and learn about stuff that's never gonna happen to you).

Go to the store get a proper guitar and amp
JAM get a band become rich famous and everything you could wish for...
and then PM me
thassit man
Rondomusic for sure. Seriously, anything you get in that price range from a retail store will be firewood, so rondomusic is a great option. That or a deal on a used guitar. But if you are set on a Les Paul, you need a set neck and atleast a mahogany body. A mahogany neck would be good too, but you may need to settle for maple, although maple is a good wood as well.