I got new strings the other day, the same brand and thickness (11-52) as usual. But when I put them on, when ever I play around the 9th fret on the 3rd and 4th string, it sounds really bad, because the strings and too low and hitting the other frets. I raised my bridge and the problem was fixed but now I get a bad sound from my amp because the pick-ups aren't picking up as much (but I already raised my pick-ups quite a bit, and I can't really make them too much higher). I don't know how the strings could be hitting the other frets though considering I didn't make any changes?
Last edited by Jreed08013 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Kortez3000
Your guitars neck might be in a back bow, you may need to adjust the truss rod.

Do you happen to know how much that would cost?
Quote by Jreed08013
Do you happen to know how much that would cost?

Nothing if you do it yourself. Maybe $20-30 for a good set-up at a guitar shop. But I don't think that's the problem.

Can you describe the sound more? Also, what kind of guitar and what kind of amp?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Nothing if you do it yourself. Maybe $20-30 for a good set-up at a guitar shop. But I don't think that's the problem.

Can you describe the sound more? Also, what kind of guitar and what kind of amp?

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, and a Peavey Vypyr 60w tube. It's the sound you get when your strings are too low, or like the strings are hitting something when you pluck them.
Quote by Jreed08013
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, and a Peavey Vypyr 60w tube. It's the sound you get when your strings are too low, or like the strings are hitting something when you pluck them.

Like a buzz?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Like a buzz?

Yeah exactly, but its not the amp or anything, you can here it even when its not plugged in
I reckon its the truss rod.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
It is the truss rod, especially since it's in that area. But for the love of God, DO NOT do it yourself if you don't know what you're doing. You don't want to break your guitar more now, do you?
Cam Sampbell's my hero