So, i just broke my 4th guitar cable. Its been a long time, but still. I had two stock ones that game with the amp and i bought 2 hand built ones off ebay. The 2 hand built ones broke in like 3 months. While the stock ones lasted over 2 years....

anyways enough jibber jabber. I need a new cable!! I really dont know a lot about guitar cables. I've heard of planet waves, monster, and couple of others, but i have not had a lot of experience with any of them.

My budget is 40$ i really dont want to spend a lot on cables. I would much more prefer 20$ cables. Anyways i need around 12-20 Feet if its a bit longer its fine. I'm playing (most to least) Mid gain indie type tone, high gain stuff, clean. If it matters i dont know.

so yea any good brands that are cheap?

and what would be the difference in buying really expensive cables?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
i might pickup one of these myself. if you spend $20 its free priority shipping too.

http://www.5150musicsupply.com/20_ft_Right_Angle_RED_5150_COLOR_GUITAR_CABLE_p/gc20red.htm

might get that and some patch cables.
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
those look nice. And is there a differnce between angled jacks and straight ones?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
I say if you got the money, monsters, because thay have lifetime warrenty, which means you cut it in half, bring it in store, you get a new one, free.
thats the ez way.
or
listen to rking19 and get the cables you can unscrew and resolder in case the connection goes bad. Your call =)
awesome

is 12 feet limiting?

casuse i'm using a 30 feet from my drummer and that is just too long, but i also want to move around.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Last edited by Aashraya at Jul 1, 2010,
lavacable.com

Get some Mogami or Canare. Doesn't matter. They're much more transparent than Monster.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
cant go wrong with the monster cables. ive had a set of monsters for about 4 years now and there still as strong as the day i bought them(just not as pretty) make sure you get the ones with the gold jacks thought the sound is amazing
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Quote by mmolteratx
lavacable.com

Get some Mogami or Canare. Doesn't matter. They're much more transparent than Monster.

alright i heard good things about mogami. never heard of canare though

anyways what do you mean by transparent?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
okay the mogami and canare is what i will go for.

And so is there any difference really to angled and straight? other then preference
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Transparent means it leaves your signal alone. Monsters tend to roll off high and low end. All cables will to some extent but Mogami is the best without being too expensive and many will agree. I'd go for right angles but it's just preference. And gold jacks are a rip off. They do nothing unless everything in the signal path is also gold plated.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Transparent means it leaves your signal alone. Monsters tend to roll off high and low end. All cables will to some extent but Mogami is the best without being too expensive and many will agree. I'd go for right angles but it's just preference. And gold jacks are a rip off. They do nothing unless everything in the signal path is also gold plated.

oh okay. Yea i heard that a lot too. About the gold jacks. Alright thanks!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Oh yea, 12 ft is what I use right now but I feel it's a bit short. 15-20 ft is nice moving around room with a slight bit of extra high end loss that you may or may not be able to discern.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

How do you actually break cables?

I have 4 $10 ones, and i mean i leave them on the floor kick them etc and they all work fine, one is even 2 years old that came with a $100 starter pack and works fine :S
Quote by BoL7z

I have 4 $10 ones, and i mean i leave them on the floor kick them etc and they all work fine, one is even 2 years old that came with a $100 starter pack and works fine :S

Basically by putting excessive stress on them. If your cable is bending right before it makes contact with the plug (at the metal 'sheath') that's a good way to break it. Another way is when plugging out, you just drop it on a hard surface, like a tile floor.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by mmolteratx

Those are some of the last (quality) cables I'd consider "transparent".

They both have a massive "mid boost"(*) thanks to the quite large capacitance. This isn't a bad thing and some people swear by them and hate the lower capacitance "transparent" cables claiming they sound "artificial". Remember Jimi, Clapton and a few others got some of their best tones with a "curly cable" which has a huge capacitance and sizeable inductive effects, basically shifting the resonant peak downwards a khz or two.

Klotz La Grange, Evidence Audio and Pete Cornish are the 3 most transparent cables I've used. The Pete Cornish cost 3 figures for a standard 5m cable though, the Evidence was around £70 from what I remember the Klotz can be quite a bit cheaper and to me is the best of the bunch.

Some people like George L's but I find the top end a little screechy, if you've got a dark rig then I'd seriously consider them. They're reasonably cheap and extremely easy to repair when they break (just need a small screwdriver and a knife.)

(*) Before anyone says anything, I know it's not an actual boost but this is easier to say succinctly than talking about low and high roll off points.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Take a look at monster performer 500 cables. Cheaper monsters are overpriced...and anything more is overkill IMO unless your playing every night. I haven't had one fail on me yet, and the warranty is fantastic.

I also use custom american made braided cables..If you can get some made locally, do this. people will usually stand behind their product with solid warranties.
Quote by power freak
Those are some of the last (quality) cables I'd consider "transparent".

They both have a massive "mid boost"(*) thanks to the quite large capacitance. This isn't a bad thing and some people swear by them and hate the lower capacitance "transparent" cables claiming they sound "artificial". Remember Jimi, Clapton and a few others got some of their best tones with a "curly cable" which has a huge capacitance and sizeable inductive effects, basically shifting the resonant peak downwards a khz or two.

Klotz La Grange, Evidence Audio and Pete Cornish are the 3 most transparent cables I've used. The Pete Cornish cost 3 figures for a standard 5m cable though, the Evidence was around £70 from what I remember the Klotz can be quite a bit cheaper and to me is the best of the bunch.

Some people like George L's but I find the top end a little screechy, if you've got a dark rig then I'd seriously consider them. They're reasonably cheap and extremely easy to repair when they break (just need a small screwdriver and a knife.)

(*) Before anyone says anything, I know it's not an actual boost but this is easier to say succinctly than talking about low and high roll off points.

Yea, they're definitely not the most transparent out there but they are the most transparent for the price. And I'd say they definitely don't have as much roll off as Monsters, which are nasally sounding IMO. The capacitance is only like 37 pf/ft on the Mogami. That's fairly low for the price. I've been meaning to order some bulk Evidence Lyric HG to rewire my rig though.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Planet waves cables are pretty transperent, and you can get a ridiculously clear sound through them. For 20-40 bucks (depending on what quality of cable) you can get one. Only problem is, since they're built like a tank, there is no metal sheath you can open - only more rubber.
Some people might disagree, I love them however.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by BoL7z

well i broke mine when i was playing and i was moving around and the length wasn't long (the cable was like 8 feet) and it got poped out and the jack thing came loose. i lost all the parts and i would rather get a new one.

Quote by denied
Take a look at monster performer 500 cables. Cheaper monsters are overpriced...and anything more is overkill IMO unless your playing every night. I haven't had one fail on me yet, and the warranty is fantastic.

I also use custom american made braided cables..If you can get some made locally, do this. people will usually stand behind their product with solid warranties.

okay i will try the local thing. So right now its down to Monster 500 cables (12 feet) and mogami 15-20 feet ones.

i really want to save cash so i dont really want to dish out 40$ (i need to save as much money as i can) I'm leaning towards the mogami just for the price and length though

Quote by Nimbus456
Planet waves cables are pretty transperent, and you can get a ridiculously clear sound through them. For 20-40 bucks (depending on what quality of cable) you can get one. Only problem is, since they're built like a tank, there is no metal sheath you can open - only more rubber.
Some people might disagree, I love them however.

yea planet waves could be another option
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Last edited by Aashraya at Jul 2, 2010,