Alright, so I have a

-Carvin mts3200 100w tube head
-Marshal Valvstate Solid State head
-Peavey Vypyr 120H Tube

I just bought the Peavey and got it a couple of days ago. I was thinking that this amp had one channel where the natural tubes would power the amp but everything is modeled. So really the fact that this thing has tubes in it doesn't really make sense, i don't think. The signal might be power by the tubes at some point but afterwards it would have to go through some sort of digital processing to be modeled into a different amp right? The fact that it is powered by tubes shouldn't even really matter I can imagine. Anyways I just really wanted others input on this just too see different points. Its not that I don't like that sound from it cause there is a lot you can do with it but I do hate the fact that it isn't raw power coming straight from the guitar. I just always feel that it should only take a clean and a dirty to sound good, other effects added on top just cover up sloppiness (this is my thinking). Anyways I got this for $430 from MusiciansFriend slightly used, looks flawless. Was just trying to decide if I really wanna keep it or look for something different. Please just through any input you have positive or negative I like all opinions.

Now if you wanna suggest other amp heads I like to play late 80's rock and shred. That the main thing that I play when I sit down to jam. I just got into a band though and we are playing some heavy stuff and I would like to find an amp that would suit my needs good. Not that the Vypyr doesn't but maybe just to see what else is out there so I don't feel like im "faking" my sound lol. Anyways here is the setlist and it covers a pretty broad range:

Alice In Chains - Man In The Box
Bad Company - Feel Like Makin Love
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Black Stone Cherry - Blind Man
Buckcherry - Crazy Bitch
Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company
Five Finger Death Punch - Hard To See
Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands To Yourself
Godsmack - Keep Away
Godsmack - Straight Out Of Line
Grand Funk Railroad - American Band
Killswitch Engaged - Holy Diver
Lynard Skynard - Simple Man
Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama
Metallica - Sandman
Mudvayne - Happy
Neil Young - Rockin In The Free World
Ozzy - Crazy Train
Pantera - Cat Scratch Fever
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Poison - Everyrose
Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In
Poison - Nothing But A Good Time
Salivia - Survival Of The Sickest
Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome
Slipknot - Dead Memories
Slipknot - Phycosocial
Slipknot - Snuff
Stp - Dead And Bloated
Stp - Plush
Stp - Sex Type Thing
Theory Of A Dead Man - Bad Girlfriend
Velvet Revolver - Slither

Open to everything, thanks!
Also if I were to send this thing back and get something different the budget is 600 but less preferably, im just willing to spend for better if needed.

-haryy
Last edited by zac_haryy at Jul 1, 2010,
Why did you buy it, if you didn't know what it did first?
Tbh, the Vyper should be decent for that kinda stuff. Just fiddle more. (I say decent because personally I hate the Vyper, but I never tried the tube)

For amp rec's we're going to need a solid budget.

What's wrong with the Carvin?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Vypyr 120 should be able to handle all of that with ease. Just keep fiddling like Ben said. All of the preamp and modelling is done BEFORE the power tubes. The power tubes feed the speaker. To me, the 60 and 120 Vypyrs sound much better than their all SS brothers.

I would either get a Sanpera II pedal so you can get the most out of your Vypyr or return it and get a 6505+112 combo for $599.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Vypyr 120 should be able to handle all of that with ease. Just keep fiddling like Ben said. All of the preamp and modelling is done BEFORE the power tubes. The power tubes feed the speaker. To me, the 60 and 120 Vypyrs sound much better than their all SS brothers.

I would either get a Sanpera II pedal so you can get the most out of your Vypyr or return it and get a 6505+112 combo for $599.

I'm not 100% convinced you'll get the right volume and airflow with the 6505+ 112 combo......At least not on stage.....
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
So go try one.

It is a frickin loud amp. There should be no reason why you can't gig with that thing. And actually, due to the size of the amp it actually breaths very well. Nice cleans too. I like it better than its bigger 212 brother.