When do i know I'm done with guitar? Like I'm learning some sweeps and what not and improving my technique, I can't ever get the 6 string ones to sound like jeff loomis but then again i probably never will, when one of my fine chaps stops by. Hes not a big music guy and he was all like "lolz lrn2jimmypage". So i play dazed and confused and he was rather impressed.
So why should I keep learning new things that are hard and boring to practice, I ****ing hate the metronome, when I already have the skills to wow people?
To expand your capabilities.

People are already wow'd by my art but I'm not nowhere near amazing at all.

Thats not gonna stop me from practicing.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Yeah, play for your enjoyment, not other people's enjoyment.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Well, just do whatever keeps you happy; if you hate practicing, don't.... if you still enjoy improving, keep practicing.
Quote by InfiniteRain

I do play for mine, It's just like I bust my ass for weeks learning like a cool sweep in Hungarian A minor or some shit I play it and everyone i the room yawns. Now if i play a cool reggae rhythm I get mad pussy.
Quote by InfiniteRain

I do play for mine, It's just like I bust my ass for weeks learning like a cool sweep in Hungarian A minor or some shit I play it and everyone in the room yawns. Now if i play a cool reggae rhythm I get mad pussy.
Quote by levi.lydat
I do play for mine, It's just like I bust my ass for weeks learning like a cool sweep in Hungarian A minor or some shit I play it and everyone in the room yawns. Now if i play a cool reggae rhythm I get mad pussy.

then the solution is to find new friends. i myself would personally be impressed with the Hungarian sweep, but that just might be because i hate reggae music.
If you're learning things just to impress people then you're not playing for the right reason. All the sweeps and scales and licks and other skills you're developing should be put towards songs and writing music and what not. I'm mean it's cool to go "hey man check out this sweep I learned!" but realistically people will probably just be like "oh..thats cool, another guy who can play fast". so start applying what you've learned and then you will feel more accomplished.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Skully12
If you're learning things just to impress people then you're not playing for the right reason. All the sweeps and scales and licks and other skills you're developing should be put towards songs and writing music and what not. I'm mean it's cool to go "hey man check out this sweep I learned!" but realistically people will probably just be like "oh..thats cool, another guy who can play fast". so start applying what you've learned and then you will feel more accomplished.

I write music too, I wrote a cool kind of finger picking/slide song last night. I'm just wondering why should i keep getting better when everyone doesn't care. I mean I like making music but whats the point if no one else likes it?
MAYBE IM JUS BAD LOLZ
Maybe you're just playing to the wrong people? It's like reading a book to a dog, if they don't understand, then they won't care, no matter how good it is. same thing applies here, if they don't like the kind of music you're playing for them or it's going over their heads, they aren't really going to care even if it's really good (which I'm sure it is). You could always try playing other things for different people. Being versed in all sorts of genres is never a bad thing.
"Forget the rules. If it sounds good, it is good."
-Eddie Van Halen
Music is different to musicians. Simple as that.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I just enjoy playing it. But I also enjoy the feeling of knowing you've improved. It's not about showing off atleast anyway, for me.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by levi.lydat
When do i know I'm done with guitar? Like I'm learning some sweeps and what not and improving my technique, I can't ever get the 6 string ones to sound like jeff loomis but then again i probably never will, when one of my fine chaps stops by. Hes not a big music guy and he was all like "lolz lrn2jimmypage". So i play dazed and confused and he was rather impressed.
So why should I keep learning new things that are hard and boring to practice, I ****ing hate the metronome, when I already have the skills to wow people?

OT: your never actually done with guitar. theres so many things more to learn i imagine. go and learn techniques you may like or perfect the ones you know. also being in a band would be nice
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
write your own music, trust me once youre good at it it never gets boring
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
I learned dazed and confused when I was starting to play guitar, its easy something a beginning guitarrist learns because it's catchy and easy to play.

Stick with the metronome and you'll either get better or you won't. If you can't play a practice piece to a metronome how will you learn new things. Honestly, if you don't practice things to the metronome you'll probably have a poor sense of tempo and rythmns. And the fact that they are hard to practice means you need to practice them. And the fact you hate the metronome means you need to practice with it more often.

Now if you want to do sweep picking, you need to start slow and learn how to the metronome so that everything is clean and the rythmn is consistant.
It's not hard to learn to shred. It all comes down to the music dude. Starting a band is always a good step, get out there and realise the reason you play, lol
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Learn whatever you need to be able to play the things you write. And then keep learning, just slightly less obsessively.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It's not hard to learn to shred. It all comes down to the music dude. Starting a band is always a good step, get out there and realise the reason you play, lol

Sure it may not be hard, but you have to consistently practice scales and speed for years before you're any good at it.

And you might as well just stop now since you're obviously playing for the wrong reasons.