Poll: Which Axe is the Better Metal Guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Axe is the Better Metal Guitar?
ESP LTD V-401DX
25 28%
ESP LTD EX-401DX
27 31%
B.C. Rich Deluxe Jr. V
12 14%
B.C. Rich Mockingbird Pro X
24 27%
Voters: 88.
Through the process of advice and elimination, i have narrowed my choices for a new Metal Axe down to these four:

ESP LTD V-401DX

ESP LTD EX-401DX

B.C. Rich Deluxe Jr. V

B.C. Rich Mockingbird Pro X

Which of these would you recommend as a good Metal guitar? I'm going to buy a new amp before i get this, but i want to know ahead of time to start looking for deals, sales and reviews. Each one has all the specs i'm looking for (Floyd Rose, Active EMG's(either 81/85 or 81/60), etc.) and i like the look of all of the guitars, at this point i just need advice on which one you would buy if it were your choice and which one you've experienced as the best playing of the four.

Thanks for any help you can give
dude i jss saw the mockingbird....
im getting that as soon as i get paid. its jss beautiful
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
They all have pretty similar specs. I might go for the Mockingbird.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Keep in mind that the Mockingbird is a different scale length. It's a really important factor to consider, for many.
Gear :
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000 - EMG 81/85 + 18V mod
ESP/LTD AX-400 - EMG 81/81
Jackson DKMG - EMG 85/81 + 18V mod.

SGH VS100 All-tube head
Marshall 1960a JCM 800 cab

BOSS NS-2 / BOSS MT-2 / BOSS ML-2
BOSS BD-2 / BOSS PS-5 / BOSS-DD7
I am looking to get so many new equipment soon, and I saw starting with a guitar would be the best route. So I was curious as to what we all looked at as "the" metal guitar. I am looking for something no more than probably 600 bucks.I have looked into a couple and personally have began to lean towards a Jackson.
The mockingbird is beautiful, but being an ESP fan I'd go for the EX-401DX. But if you want the mockingbird you definitely have to factor in the scale length for how you play and all that...
god ****ing dammit that's a beautiful mockingbird...i'd usually pick a jackson, but you dont have any in your list (you should check them out, tho)
hello

n.n
Watch for that scale length, and if you play metal, will you be switching tunings constantly? you may want to be wary of the floyd rose, since changing tunings with that takes about 20 minutes... for me at least.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
whatever you buy, get it from musicians friends, their usually like thirty or more percent off and have free shipping
If you have to order off the internet, i'd say go for the mockingbird for sex appeal, but for the best guitar that can do metal and so much more, go for the ESP EX401 or an M-400 (discontinued, but mine is in my lap right now and it's an AMAZING guitar) The tone from ESPs is spectacular as well as their versatility.

Try to find a good used ESP, chances are that the previous owner knew what they were doing and it's set up really nicely and in great order. Also, longer scale is a lot nicer for shredding in my opinion, something the Mockingbird does not have.
I'd say the ESP V-401DX. I'm a big fan of the V shape (even tho they are a royal pain in the ass to sit and play) and the shape is used quite a lot in metal music.

Go for it!
go for the mockingbird if u like slightly chunky necks and want a shorter scale. otherwise, any of the esps should be fine for you
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
i've played all of those guitars actually when i was buying my metal guitar!!

even though they all have really similar specs, they all feel, play and even sound different. really, we cant help you here. you're going to have to sit down and just play them all. but i'll throw in my input because i can.

the ltd v played beautifully, sounded great and had incredible fret access. the looks were killer if you like a black guitar (i hate them so i passed). the flame top is really nice.

the ltd ex i thought had a nicer feel to it (not sure what it was). sitting down i preferred it to the v, but standing, no difference. the v had better fret access, but this one isn't bad. i thought it also sounded better due to the emg 81/60 combo (my ec 1000 has those and i LOVE the 60 in the neck better than the 81 in the bridge).

the bc rich v was pretty good. i didnt like the solid colour and huge head on it. but it played well and felt nice. not much to say really.

the mockingbird was beyond me. it was so incredible that if the ec 1000 in green wasn't so drop dead sexy, i would have bought it. i ADORED everything about that guitar and i used to think bc rich made shit guitars (lets face it, they didn't used to be this good in recent years). the guitar looks like pure sex, it feels the way a guitar should, and has the 81/60 combo which is amazing. the scale is odd on paper, but you cant feel a huge difference in person. i just loved everything about that thing.

but again, try them all out. they're all really different guitars, so take your time and figure out which is best for your personal needs and wants.
Quote by BusterSword
god ****ing dammit that's a beautiful mockingbird...i'd usually pick a jackson, but you dont have any in your list (you should check them out, tho)

I have looked at Jacksons, but they are a doomed guitar brand for me....i Hate TWO body styles more than any:

Offset V's

and

Strat-style bodies

poor Jackson...that's almost all they make...lol....i have played them and they do play wicked-nice though...the Dinky's are awesome guitars...just not for me...lol

Quote by edu010
whatever you buy, get it from musicians friends, their usually like thirty or more percent off and have free shipping

Guitar Center owns them...not in the pwning n00bs sense, they literally bought Musician's Friend. I have had no problem with Guitar Center so far, and when i buy this, it will be in-store...i don't trust some UPS n00b with my beautiful work-of-art Axe....lol

It's pretty much down to these four, and belive me, i have looked at everything from Gibson to Jackson to Schecter to Dean to Washburn to ESP to Epiphone to Agile to BC Rich and anything else you can think of that is somewhat "Metal"...these are the four i've gotten out of all of those brands...it's just coincidence that they are each from 2 different brands.

Last, my main concern with the Mockingbird isn't the scale ( i will and can adjust fine...i go between my Epi LP Standard and my girlfriend's LTD EC-200QM with ease(hers has a shorter scale than mine))...i'm actually more concerned with whether or not it has enough upper fret access...i think my LP can be somewhat awkward when i'm up in the 19-22 frets...i want to avoid that on something that is probably going to see more upper fret use. (i realize it has more frets so 19-22 wouldn't be the problem area)

Thanks for all the votes and advice

EDIT:

TO: User_Name336

I know i have to try them myself...i'm no n00b to this stuff... i just wanted as many opinions as possible. It wouldn't matter if the Mockingbird won the poll, if i sat down with it and it felt like i was trying to play a broomstick instead of a guitar, i would never buy it. It's all personal, but i like to see what others have noticed about each one, so i can watch out for things they mention...it didn't fail me with my LP (which i adore)
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jul 2, 2010,
They would all do metal well....I just picked the ltd V because thats my prefrence.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by User_Name336
haha i know. i'm just saying!! i know of too many people that listen blindly to others and buy what others tell them. i'd really like to know which of these guitars you've chosen in the end btw! keep us (me) informed please!

I agree...too many people do buy before they try....a friend of mine wanted to get EMG's for his Epiphone SG G-400 Custom (basically a 3 pickup creme SG styled after the original SG line) and the heaviest stuff i've heard him play is deep purple and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He mostly plays acoustic and clean stuff and i was like....WTF? nonononononononononono...you DO NOT want those...

I'll let you know which one i decide on...i expect to try them ASAP, but i want to buy a new amp before i take one of these beauties home...just off of specs i think i'm leaning toward the mockingbird still...but the ESP V is a close second...

Once i've treid them and decide on which one i want to buy, i'll post it here first
None of the above. But,to play nice and not hurt someones poor wittle feelings.Out of the 4 if I was just looking for a guitar the Mockingbird wins. I have never played an LTD that felt like anything less then a toy in my hands.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
The mockinbird is superior, preference wise. It has grover tuners, which ARE infact very reliable, and as a bonus it has neck-thru construction which should provide some extra sustain and crisp sound.
I have grovers on my maton, and I can tell you from experience, I can pick up my guitar after not playing it for a week and it will still be perfectly in tune.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I'd definitely try to find a mockingbird in a store, and guitars that are similar to those guitars in a store.

The Mockingbird has a smaller scale length than your Epiphone, and all the other guitars there. I think the EX has a 24.75" scale, the V has a 25.5" and same with the B.C. Rich V, 25.5"

It may not seem like it, but they will all play very differently. I'm not sure on what kind of "metal" you plan on playing, but the Mockingbird may get a little cramped up in the higher frets, and might be a little uncomfortable, depending on how tall you are and your build (yes, you're build can change how a guitar feels). Any of those other guitars will have good upper fret access, the V's having the best.

They all have pretty much the same specs, too. Same body wood, pickups and bridge.

Tuners really don't matter when you have a Floyd, because of the fine tuners and locking nut. The Grovers seem to get the Mockingbird a bit more quality, but realistically, it doesn't matter.

But hey what do I know? You're the guitar guru of UG. I've only had 2 and a half years of experience of playing the guitar, reading about everything guitars, learning about everything guitars... I guess that's not a whole lot of knowledge over anyone. I'm having troubles figuring out why you'd even make a thread about this.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'd definitely try to find a mockingbird in a store, and guitars that are similar to those guitars in a store.

The Mockingbird has a smaller scale length than your Epiphone, and all the other guitars there. I think the EX has a 24.75" scale, the V has a 25.5" and same with the B.C. Rich V, 25.5"

It may not seem like it, but they will all play very differently. I'm not sure on what kind of "metal" you plan on playing, but the Mockingbird may get a little cramped up in the higher frets, and might be a little uncomfortable, depending on how tall you are and your build (yes, you're build can change how a guitar feels). Any of those other guitars will have good upper fret access, the V's having the best.

They all have pretty much the same specs, too. Same body wood, pickups and bridge.

Tuners really don't matter when you have a Floyd, because of the fine tuners and locking nut. The Grovers seem to get the Mockingbird a bit more quality, but realistically, it doesn't matter.

But hey what do I know? You're the guitar guru of UG. I've only had 2 and a half years of experience of playing the guitar, reading about everything guitars, learning about everything guitars... I guess that's not a whole lot of knowledge over anyone. I'm having troubles figuring out why you'd even make a thread about this.

Yeah, i always try before i buy...i know they will play differently, and i am tall and i have a big build (6 foot 3 inches and about 200 pounds). I know V's have the best access, i just wondered if anyone had experience with the upper fret access of the Mockingbird.

I didn't think the tuners would matter, but i guess if i ever went crazy and decided to get rid of the floyd (due to drug abuse?) then i guess i wouldn't have to replace the tuners too...

Yeah, i've only been playing guitar for 13 years this august, and i've only been fanatic about it for the last 4 years. I don't claim to know everything, or even half of everything about guitars, but what i do know, i stick to. Any wise person will tell you that a) you learn something new every day, b) you never know too much to learn more, c) always ask as many questions as you can because knowledge never hurt anyone, and d) there is always someone that knows more about something than you do.

I know all the specs of the guitars and i know they all have similar specs. I am mostly worried about playability, so i asked for anyone's opinion/knowledge in this field. If i have an idea of what to expect from each guitar before i try them, i can skip the process of looking for these things on my own, judge what other people told me (such as if i like the mockingbird's scale), and make a quicker and better educated decision on which guitar to get. Even though the BC Rich V is last in votes and nobody has really mentioned it, if i go in and it plays the best and feels the best, it will go home with me over the rest of them. Sorry if i've offended you or if you have a problem with me over my previous thread about this, but i defend what i know and what i like. You were doing the same, and i haven't held it against you. I consider your advice just like anyone else's advice, but with more respect, to be honest, because i know that you wouldn't tell me without being sure.

so thanks again to you and everyone for their advice, help, and opinions on this subject. When i decide on a guitar, i will post on here and let everyone know. until then, feel free to continue giving advice/opinions
Aww man... I voted wrong. I thought the BC Rich V was the awesome one with the pointed headstock, not the stupid headstock one.

Here; I was thinking of this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Jr--V-Electric-Guitar-105323281-i1400667.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
+1 to that.

Widow headstock = boner kill

You guys really think that? I might have to start a poll on that...lol...i've always liked Symmetrical Headstocks over asymmetrical ones...i like the widow headstock quite a bit anyways....lol
Quote by Blktiger0
You guys really think that? I might have to start a poll on that...lol...i've always liked Symmetrical Headstocks over asymmetrical ones...i like the widow headstock quite a bit anyways....lol

Really?

I couldn't ever get into the widow headstock. It kind of says "o hai! look how METALZ i r with mah BC RICH guitarz!"

I'm not a fan. I might have a Dean, but I like "normal" headstocks.

Whatever you like is fine with us.

I can't remember the exact price your budget is set at, but this the Cadillac of all Mockingbirds:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Mockingbird-ST-Electric-Guitar?sku=512696
There is no 'best' guiatr for any genre. Find something that you can afford, like the sound of, and you think looks cool.

I actually have a mockingbird I bought used for $50. Gotta say I love it. Very high action and pretty good pickups. The only problem is this particular Mockingbird seems to be a custom the more i look at it. The headstock looks liek osmething off a jackson, I've never seen a bridge in the style this has before, and I've never seen a mockingbird with passive pickups except for the music video of Alice Cooper's Poison
Have a good one,
Phoenix
I'd actually have to say the V-401DX. I'm a huge fan of symmetrical V bodies, LTD makes solid stuff, and when I was shopping for a V last year I very nearly bought one. I ended up with the Dean though, since I liked the neck better and didn't want a Floyd Rose.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
One thing i recently noticed about going with the mockingbird is that it is very similar to my Les Paul. The toggle is similarly placed, it has similar knob setup (idk what i would do without separate volume and tone knobs...:-P) and it has a similar body shape (roughly) which means it could be a good choice or a bad choice....we will see...does anyone know if Guitar Center stocks all of these models in store? I am making a trip up there next friday [the two closest to me are both 2 hours away in opposite directions ] and hope to try at least one or two of these if not all of them...but i also have to try out some new amps with my guitar....if you have any advice for me, please help me out HERE

Thanks again, everyone

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Really?

I couldn't ever get into the widow headstock. It kind of says "o hai! look how METALZ i r with mah BC RICH guitarz!"

I'm not a fan. I might have a Dean, but I like "normal" headstocks.

Whatever you like is fine with us.

I can't remember the exact price your budget is set at, but this the Cadillac of all Mockingbirds:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Mockingbird-ST-Electric-Guitar?sku=512696

lol...yeah, i don't care how metal other people think i look, i just like to feel metal...but, yeah, i prefer the 3/3 setup for headstocks and i could probably use that headstock as a weapon if i am ever backed into a dark alley...of course the points of the V could be used that way to...but according to THIS GUY V's have MANY uses....rofl

I checked that Mockingbird out and it's awesome, especially since i'm a Slash worshiper, but it doesn't have Active Pickups, and i honestly think the other MB looks sexier...i might be droppin my girlfriend soon if i buy that...

Phoenix Reborn:

I didn't mean the best metal guitar period, i meant the best metal guitar to fit my needs out of those for, but "Best Metal Guitar To Fit My Needs Out of These Four?" is a bit lengthy for a title...also, i think you might have a copy if it has a different headstock...also, the Big Daddy of the Mockingbirds has passive pickups.
Quote by Blktiger0

I checked that Mockingbird out and it's awesome, especially since i'm a Slash worshiper, but it doesn't have Active Pickups, and i honestly think the other MB looks sexier...i might be droppin my girlfriend soon if i buy that...

Rockfield pickups are metal. End of story.

The Mockingbird I showed you just has tons of flexibility and all of those switches can get kind of annoying, which is why it costs so much more money :P

Have fun with whatever guitar you get. Any of the guitars you have in mind will play whatever you want.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Rockfield pickups are metal. End of story.

The Mockingbird I showed you just has tons of flexibility and all of those switches can get kind of annoying, which is why it costs so much more money :P

Have fun with whatever guitar you get. Any of the guitars you have in mind will play whatever you want.

I like that guitar, no doubt...i wanted it because of the flexibility, but i also want active pickups, not because they are metal, but because they are a different sound than passives...plus, my Les Paul will play metal....i was surprised how well the Ol' Pearly Gates held up under heavy distortion. i love the tone it puts out...i just wanna play the field a little. Plus, Slash being my favorite guitarist, i don't want to get a mockingbird designed after his when he is half the reason i bought a Les Paul in the first place...i don't wanna look like i'm just buying every guitar he has...it doesn't help that i prefer Guild when it comes to acoustic guitars....(as does he). Don't get me wrong, i wanted a Les Paul because of other guitarists and because of their versatility, tone, and overall looks, but when i heard the tone that he got out of his and his marshall, it was like something clicked in my brain. I honestly never liked Les Pauls until i started watching GNR live videos and seen that's what he played...i wanted an SG before that...but i've always liked V's.
I put the esp V because it has 24 frets while the EX only has 22. V has 2 emg 81s (according to guitar center) and the EX has an 81 and a 60. both are good. I think bc rich is complete garbage . might just be that i love esp
Definitely the Mocking Bird, I just ADORE that guitar !
wow that bc rich i s sexy.......i would buy that !!!! apart from the sexiness, they rock !