i'm going to have like 600$ to get a new amp head, and I play alot of metal and stuff.
my choices are

Buger 6262
Peavey Valve King
Peavey Vypr 120 TUBE
Or something good....

So what should i get?
I've head ALOT of good things about the 6262 and really like the cleans and distortion.
bugera 6262. i've gigged with it several times, and its never failed me. cleans are great, and distortion is killer. you wont regret it. trust me!

EDIT: i've played/gigged all the mentined amps, plus a TONNE others in the price range and outside it. real world experience had told me that the bugera is the best sounding amp for under $1500, and the only amps i would get over it for metal are mesa boogies, bogners, and engls. so whats that tell you?
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jul 2, 2010,
dude i would go with the valve king a lot of local metal bands where i live play with them. and they sound pretty damn good!
Quote by consumedbysky
dude i would go with the valve king a lot of local metal bands where i live play with them. and they sound pretty damn good!

As a Valveking owner, I can tell you not to bother with the VK unless you're interested in modding the amp. Without mods, it's honestly not very good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
thanks guys. what about the peavey XXL? even though its SS how dose that compare?
Quote by rwtf
thanks guys. what about the peavey XXL? even though its SS how dose that compare?

If you're looking into SS, you'd be better off with an Ampeg VH140c or SS140c, or the Crate GX130c or GT3500H. Cannibal Corpse used them for a while.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I need a head not a combo. Whats wrong with the ones mentioned? Honestly I believe the 6262 is perfect for me. But I wanted to know other peoples opinions on there other amps.
I didn't like the VK, it dosen't have enough gain, and the vypr is to....digital....
Quote by rwtf
I need a head not a combo. Whats wrong with the ones mentioned? Honestly I believe the 6262 is perfect for me. But I wanted to know other peoples opinions on there other amps.
I didn't like the VK, it dosen't have enough gain, and the vypr is to....digital....

Why do you need a head?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Why do you need a head?

Good question.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Fisheth24
Why do you need a head?

cause he likes the image im guessin and he most probably doesnt know that a combo will give you a better tone.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
cause he likes the image im guessin and he most probably doesnt know that a combo will give you a better tone.

And you just made a dumb statement.
A combo WILL NOT give you better tone than a half/full stack.

Generally speaking, the same amp in a head/cab config VS. its combo version is different, not better.
And a single 4x12" cab pushes more air and gives you more headroom than a 1x12" or 2x12" combo. It "spreads" the sound more.

My point is: you don't NEED a halfstack.
You may want one, but you should have good reasons (and "just because" or "because it looks bad@$$" aren't good reasons).
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
A used Peavey 5150 should be alright for you. Both the head and combo run under $600 each, so no matter which you decide to get it's within your price range.
Quote by Linkerman
And you just made a dumb statement.
A combo WILL NOT give you better tone than a half/full stack.

Generally speaking, the same amp in a head/cab config VS. its combo version is different, not better.
And a single 4x12" cab pushes more air and gives you more headroom than a 1x12" or 2x12" combo. It "spreads" the sound more.

My point is: you don't NEED a halfstack.
You may want one, but you should have good reasons (and "just because" or "because it looks bad@$$" aren't good reasons).

actually you made a dumb statement. a combo has everything there with it and has a shorter signal path to the speakers and everything is under the same roof.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
actually you made a dumb statement. a combo has everything there with it and has a shorter signal path to the speakers and everything is under the same roof.

PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
would not suggest the valveking or the vypyr tubes, both are mediocre at best(if that)

100% go with the bugera

but if you do decide to get a combo, guitar center sells the 6505+ 212 combo for $600 even, brand new
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 2, 2010,
I dont not want a combo. I need it for a cab. For giging and stuff. But I'm most likely going with the 6262.
Quote by Skagasm

You do realise that tone degradation typically occurs in the guitar -> amp signal path or in the FX loop.. and not from your amp to speakers right?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
You do realise that tone degradation typically occurs in the guitar -> amp signal path or in the FX loop.. and not from your amp to speakers right?

Well also speakers do play apart of the role :P
6262 is a great amp for you. A used 5150 will sound similar, the Bug will have a little more bottom end. Same with a 6505+ The Bugera will be easier to get the tubes biased correctly...and comes with a warranty a used amp doesn't.

A 4x12 (all else being equal) will give you a stronger bottom end, and more volume without as much speaker breakup. If it's going to be miced ALL the time, there isn't as much difference...If not, the 4x12 owns. Speakers DO make a difference what speakers they are, as well as how many you have.

If you like the cleans and the distortion....you know what amp you want. Dollar for dollar, you can't beat a Bugera!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
How dose the XXX compare to the 6262?
What about the B-52 AT100?
Quote by rwtf
Well also speakers do play apart of the role :P

Obviously speakers play a part in your tone, but I'm talking about signal degradation here, not the impact of speakers on your tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.