So, I need to buy a new amp to replace my beat up (and worthless to start out with) Marshall MG30DFX, as it is inadequate for gigging (and honestly, inadequate period). The amp that i have had my eyes on for a few months now is the Marshall JCM2000 TSL100. This is pretty much what i have decided on, but if anyone has any advice about it or advice for another amp i should get, please tell me. I play anything that has "Rock" attached to it and involves guitar. Anything from Creedence Clearwater Revival and Lynyrd Skynyrd to Guns N Roses and AC/DC to Black Label Society and Dream Theater. I need an amp that will go from clean to Death, making sure to hit every pebble in between. I have heard (via word of mouth and personal experience) that this amp will do everything. I also need a good cabinet to go with it, but i am on somewhat of a budget. I can get the head used for around $500, and i don't want to spend much more than another $500 on a cab, preferably a slant cab. I know the 1960 cabs are the Holy Grail of Marshall Cabs, but i don't know that i can afford one. Also, i have heard that this amp sounds much better after being rebiased from factory biasing and after a tube swap for better tubes (especially preamp tubes). The last thing i am concerned about is the VPR switch. I will need to get a good tone/crunch both at high volumes and low volumes, but i have heard that this kills you tone when used. Should i rely on this button or invest in an attenuator? If i need the attenuator, what would be a good one to buy?

Thanks for any help you can give
You can pick up the 1960a cab for about 400-500usd used, roughly that is.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
That much for a used 1960A is criminal. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one. IMO, the DSL is a better sounding amp. The TSL has more fizz/buzz on the drive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
That much for a used 1960A is criminal. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one. IMO, the DSL is a better sounding amp. The TSL has more fizz/buzz on the drive.

Bah, I wasn't sure haha.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by mmolteratx

I'd agree but the TSL would be easier to live with if you're switching between lots of styles in one sitting - unless you are using MIDI, then DSL all the way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I assume you wouldn't be switching from death to hair metal in one set but I guess you're right. I'd love to see a band with a set consisting of I Cum Blood, Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Giant Steps and I Put a Spell on You.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I assume you wouldn't be switching from death to hair metal in one set but I guess you're right. I'd love to see a band with a set consisting of I Cum Blood, Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Giant Steps and I Put a Spell on You.

If I were the TS I'd be aiming at a DSL and a Behringer MIDI controller. I've never used the MIDI switching on the DSL myself but I like the idea. If you're going to pollute the signal path with op-amps you may as well get the benefit from them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
pollute the signal with op-amps

Marshall JCM900 4102

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ah, see even though I'm a young gun, i have a very old school taste in tone. I stray away from anything digital that i absolutely DO NOT need in my signal. i used very little effects other than Wah and i would like to invest in a Digitech whammy just to play with. I don't really use any other effects though. That is why the TSL was so appealing to me. I'm more concerned about Cabs and the VPL/attenuator problem than i am exact amp model. I'm pretty much decided on the TSL unless something that fits my wants/needs PERFECTLY comes along (i doubt anything can best the TSL in that category...there are few things i dislike about it, the VPL POSSIBLY being one of them). I've checked out way too many amps to mention here, the DSL being one of the main contenders against the TSL, and nothing has quite compared...but there is the problem that all large gigging amps have - the too much power problem. I have also heard that attenuators soak your tubes and cause a LOT of wear on them, requiring frequent (6 month) re-tubings. Is that true?

Also, i'm not yet a fan of Mesa amps...i know they are GREAT amps, but they just aren't me...i also refuse to buy ANYTHING that is signature...and i think the JSX head is for Joe Satriani if i'm not mistaken...i could be wrong, but i thought it was. I'm pretty sure i'm a Marshall guy...i like their tone overall and i'm pretty sure they are the amp for me...
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta

It's my backup amp but I am slowly depolluting it anyway. My fondest hope is to add another valve ala SL-X and totally bypass at least all that op-amp crap at the front. If I want a tubescreamer in front of my amp I'll plug one in myself godammit!! And if I DO plug in a tubescreamer, I want it to drive a VALVE, not another bloody tubescreamer!
As I said, it's just my backup amp so I'm in no rush. One clipping circuit down today, tomorrow the world!! Muahahahaha
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's my backup amp but I am slowly depolluting it anyway. My fondest hope is to add another valve ala SL-X and totally bypass at least all that op-amp crap at the front. If I want a tubescreamer in front of my amp I'll plug one in myself godammit!! And if I DO plug in a tubescreamer, I want it to drive a VALVE, not another bloody tubescreamer!
As I said, it's just my backup amp so I'm in no rush. One clipping circuit down today, tomorrow the world!! Muahahahaha

Yeah, if i plug anything into my amp, it's going to be a stompbox effect pedal, but my drive, cleans, and preferably reverb, will all come from my amp. i would sooner plug a computer in to control my body's homeostasis than i would plug one into my amp to produce my tone...it just FEELS wrong to me...if i can just use my guitar ran straight into my amp with nothing else (bar maybe a Wah pedal (with true bypass, of course)) then i'm a happy guitarist

call me old school or weird, i don't care...guitar is personal :-P
yeah, i agree...i can't stand having anything but my guitar plugged into my amp...lol

but, yeah, i would say the TSL would be a great choice. One of my friends has been looking at one and i think it sounds and performs amazingly.
Quote by Blktiger0

Also, i'm not yet a fan of Mesa amps...i know they are GREAT amps, but they just aren't me...i also refuse to buy ANYTHING that is signature...and i think the JSX head is for Joe Satriani if i'm not mistaken...i could be wrong, but i thought it was. I'm pretty sure i'm a Marshall guy...i like their tone overall and i'm pretty sure they are the amp for me...

Its perfectly fine to have brand preferences but dont like a brand just because its "Marshall". How many people spend 3-4 grand on a Gibson just for the name Not saying anything is wrong with Marshall but wayyyy too many people buy MG's because Marshall's name is on it. Long story short, play as many amps as you can get your guitar into and listen to what you like best.
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
I hate the way people have to blast their own purchases like this. Obviously, the MG30DFX is not a very good amp, but whenever anyone posts something like this it's like they're really afraid of being torn apart, which they shouldn't be.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I hate the way people have to blast their own purchases like this. Obviously, the MG30DFX is not a very good amp, but whenever anyone posts something like this it's like they're really afraid of being torn apart, which they shouldn't be.

I read that as the TS growing up and realising the error of the childish ways that led him to purchase such a dog ugly amp in the first place. It was useful background info if you ask me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Firstly to TS.

If you feel that's the amp for you I would simply buy it, if you have played one and can't find anything to match it then go for it!

Regarding polluting your signal chain I think you guys would hate me with my signal chain.....

Guitar >Input of Rocktron Prophesy (Compressor and Noisegate up front)
Effects send of prophesy to ENGL Savage 120 (ENGL Set as an effect on the prophesy)
Effects send of ENGL Back to prophesy effects return (With a Rocktron Hush Ultra in between to add more noisegate and Rocktron Prophesy Adds dual voice chorus to all settings and sometimes some delay)
Output of prophesy back to engl effects return so it all gets amplified by the power amp

Talk about polluted signal
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Last edited by Talentless at Jul 5, 2010,
But it's ok to pollute it voluntarily with your own choice of pedals. What I object to (with things like the JCM900 DR) is that I don't have the option, there's a tubescreamer like circuit at the front permanently engaged. You can switch to different opamps (that's the "channels") but you can't bypass them. Your overdrive pedal ALWAYS works directly into an opamp whether you like it or not.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like the cut of your jibe. Get all that crap out of your signal chain if you don't have to have it there.
If it's there make sure you can switch in and out of it. I want control over everything that's not a pure valve signal in my chain. I don't need a tubescreamer/clipping diode hardwired into my amp ala jcm900 or blackstar. I want real power output tubes and real preamp tubes. no lie cakes. no divide by zeros.

The jcm2000 tsl/dsls aren't great but at like 500 it's an alright deal. It'd be better if it was a combo for 400-500 since you still need a cab. A jcm lead cab is kind of a holy grail for marshall cabs insofar as they are the same cab they've been making since umm 1960. But there's better stuff out there.

If I were you and I wanted something really simple to base my tone on...

1. Grab a jet city amps 20 watt head. If you need two channels save up a bit and grab the 50watt combo. It's 2 channels with true spring reverb. Don't let anyone tell you to get a blackstar venue. That's got a digital reverb mashed into the signal path. The jca20/50/100 are designed by my personal superhero mike soldano.

2. avatar is having a sale this month. A 212 traditional loaded with a g12h30 and a v30 or 2 v30s for 300 bucks. That's a great deal. You'll get your money back if you need to sell later.

That's the best option for a stack imo. Otherwise grab a jca50 combo.

The egnater tweaker combo is also a great buy in that price range. Bruce Egnater is another great amp builder that built his reputation on a great line of custom hand built amps like soldano.

Both those amps are gonna seem like they have less bells and whistles then the jcm2000 but they sound much much better.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

1. Grab a jet city amps 20 watt head. If you need two channels save up a bit and grab the 50watt combo. It's 2 channels with true spring reverb. Don't let anyone tell you to get a blackstar venue. That's got a digital reverb mashed into the signal path. The jca20/50/100 are designed by my personal superhero mike soldano.

The Jet city's seem like they sound great for various types of music, but why are they so damn ugly?
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
The Jet city's seem like they sound great for various types of music, but why are they so damn ugly?

Well it's only the front panel that is ugly. You might be able to remove that and replace it with your own customised one. It is just a box anyway, you could always make your own as a project.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
But it's ok to pollute it voluntarily with your own choice of pedals. What I object to (with things like the JCM900 DR) is that I don't have the option, there's a tubescreamer like circuit at the front permanently engaged. You can switch to different opamps (that's the "channels") but you can't bypass them. Your overdrive pedal ALWAYS works directly into an opamp whether you like it or not.

Oh right I get you. I have heard that about the modern Marshall JCM amps. It begs the question as to why they put those circuits in there instead of just using more preamp tubes if they wanted more gain?
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
My guess is that it's cheap extra gain without adding much noise. People were all boosting JCM800s with a pedal so they thought, "lets just add one to the front, that'd be cheap and easy"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it's cheaper to put an op amp in the circuit to clip the initial signal then it is to design another valve stage. you have to worry about draw, heater currents, circuit values, balancing blah blah blah.
an op amp is just like sticking a tubescreamer into the input glueing it there and turning it on forever.

jet city will sell replacement grills for the cabs. they have one that's a metal grill just like the soldano avenger.

it really is the grill from the avenger...lol

redplate

white plate

i think the combo looks nicer then the lucky 13

damn - the 50 watt combo is basically a made in china lucky 13

5. JCA5212RC. Took a little longer than planned but well worth the wait, this is an ALL NEW Soldano design. Features the "clean" channel of the Soldano Lucky 13 and the same "crunch" channel found in other JCA amps. Tube-loop and tube-verb. And a pair of Eminence drivers - $799 US estimated street. Also pictured here is the JCA100H atop the JCA24S. The 5212RC and the 24S feature the same footprint, making a wicked 50 watt 4x12 rig.

not bad - used lucky 13's are still about 1200-1300 hundred.

good game bugera - it was fun until the big boys got into the game.

mike soldano real american hero.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
AcousticMirror has officially confused the crap out of me...lol, but it's nothing that a simple list of Links won't solve. You mentioned way to many amps with names that i'm not on a Model Name basis with. Can you hook me up with a list of links to any amps you recommend ? This way i can check out their specs one by one and learn their names so i can pair names and specs in my head. Then I'll read reviews and youtube them and then i'll be off to try them firsthand (if possible). Thanks
Have you considered the TSL60 head instead? You could get better crunch at lower levels since it runs fewer watts
Quote by comet824
Have you considered the TSL60 head instead? You could get better crunch at lower levels since it runs fewer watts

Actually, i was just looking at that...i was hoping they had like a 30 watt or something, but 60 is still better than 100 in terms of low volume distortion...i just wonder if it lacks any of the 100's features...

Also, i'm not sure about the Jet City amps...idk if they will get heavy enough for what i want...plus, i think they are only one channel, which won't work for me...