I'm totally wrong cause I don't know anything about hardcore, but this is one of the earliest "breakdowns" I can think of personally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7d1HvI1FyU&feature=related - 1:45

actually that's not really breakdown. It is an early "chugga chugga" riff though...
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by jetfuel495
Keep in mind that a real "hardcore breakdown" and what you think a hardcore breakdown is are two different things.

This.

But I believe Suffocation (as mentioned previously) is the answer you are looking for.
I ignore breakdowns that are below 100 bpm and that follow open note guitar riffs, in other words I dont know shit about 99% of breakdowns sorry
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

that was the most pointless post i've ever seen dude...
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I know... Aren't I brilliant
My post count is about to fall below 5 posts per day so I'm wiriting as many pointless posts as possible. I should really go to the pit :/
Quote by PwarDuex

suffocation and most early slam death bands. the whole slow chugg and slow drum beats = breakdown. not everything has to be china hits and open note chug at 12 BPM
"We carry death out of the village!"
Quote by OldDavidian
The real answer is

congratulations on repeating what someone just said.
Quote by PwarDuex

Quote by webbtje

Seriously, I expected to come here and see "Domination" by Pantera posted over and over again.

My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by webbtje
Aw, you ruined it.

I was just summarising the 8 pages of argument by people who I've never seen before that were to come.
Quote by OldDavidian
The real answer is

I'm pretty sure Suffocation were using breakdowns before 1996.
Quote by Sanitarium91
Durr, can't even think of Raining Blood?

Chugging=/=breakdown.
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Jul 2, 2010,
Suffocation used Slams not Breakdowns.Lost of early DM bands used the whole open note following the kicks though(a real breakdown) but they would usually use it tastefully and for a purpose beyond making scene kids spin kick.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.