Okay, so the "vs" is not that adecuate, since learning songs and practicing technique exercises are not exclusive but i think it gets the point across. The thing is, i have a really hard time disciplining myself to learning and practicing technique exercises. I´ve tried countless times on making practice schedules that, among learning songs, ear training and music theory included a series of exercises for technique. I´d take most of these exercises from Rock Discipline or some other source. But i always kind of postponed the techinque exercises because to be honest, they´re really boring.

On the other hand, learning songs whether it´s by ear or using tab is really entertaining and i love doing it, not only im developing my ear but also i´m learning technique. So my question here is: is it possible to develop a good technique by learning and practicing songs? is it necesarry for developing good technique to do exercises that focus solely on learning that certain techinque? (for example alternate picking, sweep picking, etc.).

For example, say i never decided to learn how to do tapping, but i´ve started playing a song and the solo has tapping in it, and i learn to do it because i´m learning the song, is this as efficient and beneficial as it would be to work on exercises designed specifically for tapping? And so with other technique "issues": alternate picking fast, alt picking inside two strings, string-skipping, sweeping, developing speed using songs as exercises...

So what´s your input on this? I wish i could discipline myself on setting a schedule on technique exercises and actually sticking to it

Sorry for the long post, cheers.
i think its easier to learn something when you can apply it to something
excercises will help before learning so u can learn it quicker, its just a matter of if u want to do it or not
On the other hand, learning songs whether it´s by ear or using tab is really entertaining and i love doing it, not only im developing my ear but also i´m learning technique. So my question here is: is it possible to develop a good technique by learning and practicing songs? is it necesarry for developing good technique to do exercises that focus solely on learning that certain techinque? (for example alternate picking, sweep picking, etc.).

For example, say i never decided to learn how to do tapping, but i´ve started playing a song and the solo has tapping in it, and i learn to do it because i´m learning the song, is this as efficient and beneficial as it would be to work on exercises designed specifically for tapping? And so with other technique "issues": alternate picking fast, alt picking inside two strings, string-skipping, sweeping, developing speed using songs as exercises...

Sure.

The only thing is there's a very small specific issue then an exercise might be better for correcting it - but you can always compose an "exercise song" - and "etude" - that'll help you with that.
Technique isn't music, it's just vocabulary. Important yes, but memorizing words for the sake of knowing a lot of words is silly. Knowing the right words to say to that cute girl at the right time is far more important. Learn songs, pieces that move you. Learn them well, don't over simplify but raise your skill to the level of the song. If necessary, practice scales.
The only exercises I do are musical. If I'm working on legato, I'll apply that technique to my scale practice. If my picked lines aren't up to par, I'll pick my scales. I'll write lines that utilize techniques that I'm practicing.

You can always find a way to practice technique in a musical context. Some people love the organization and routine of playing exercises on a schedule, but I'm in the same boat as you are. I can never stick to it.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
I never did any exercise in my life.
Just pick songs that contains what you are looking to improve.
Phew, glad to know i´m not the only one who can´t stick to doing those exercises :p yeah it´s a good idea to compose an etude or a song to make the training for a specific technique more musical and less boring...will have to give that a try...specially on the legato exercise. I´ll probably apply them to scales like you said VeilOfMaya... Thanks for the input people
personally song..
for techniques i just use some exercise(rarely) or i just use the techniques all around fretboard...i i lucky i'll create a song
I prefer learning songs

But i will learn some techqniues like Pinch harmonics and sweeping for like 10mins a day etc

I only really play for fun, sure i want to play in a band etc in a few years but I don't want to be the next VAI or satch or something.
I spend more time practicing scales, bar chords and what have you then I do actuall songs.
2010 Epiphone Dot
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
2009 Taylor 110 acoustic
I just learn songs but if there is any technique in the song I don't know or am not very good at I break it down into small sections and practice until I can do it accurately at full speed. This could mean spending quite a while getting something just right.