Noob issue - how did you get used to playing triplets when the drums are playing? I find myself locking in with the hi hat and end up just playing 16th notes

ps - could you guys recommend some songs that are predominantly triplets, I think the issue is with my ears not recognising the difference clearly.

pps. probably used 100 words out of context but I hope this makes sense to someone!
You have to get the style in your head. If you mean straight triplet eights, I find it helps to say a three syllable word over each beat. So start tapping your foot to the song, and say something like:
hamburger hamburger hamburger hamburger hamburger
To each foot tap. It allows you to line up the triplets easier
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
yeah, old school metallica,
Listen and repeat, and slow it down too.
Of course, I'm not a drummer, but I did learn triplets on the guitar.

you could do whole beats with your right, and then play triplets with your left.
I guess? haha
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I always take the quarter note and split it into bananas.

Like I seriously think banana banana banana banana for a measure of music. Just pretend it's 12/8 time if you know music.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by 145186
old school metallica, lots of triplet stuff

not triplets. those are gallops. don't confuse yourself and possibly others.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by nedthehead
You have to get the style in your head. If you mean straight triplet eights, I find it helps to say a three syllable word over each beat. So start tapping your foot to the song, and say something like:
hamburger hamburger hamburger hamburger hamburger
To each foot tap. It allows you to line up the triplets easier

this. i use 'trip pel let' but any 3 syllable word works.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
I always take the quarter note and split it into bananas.

Like I seriously think banana banana banana banana for a measure of music. Just pretend it's 12/8 time if you know music.
That's awesome.

Yes, I think the word banana sounds funny when you repeat it a lot. Don't judge me.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by TK1
this. i use 'trip pel let' but any 3 syllable word works.

I use that too.
an eighth note triplet on the third beat for example would be

1 and 2 and trip pel let 4 and

I found the smaller triplets easier than the larger ones. I remember frequently messing up "Burn One Down " by Ben Harper when I first started learning it because of the quarter note triplet in amongst eighth notes.

You will often find triplets that "speed up" the feel by playing eighths and then throwing in an eighth note triplet so the effect is you get three notes where you are used to hearing two but in this bass line the triplet "slows down" the feel by playing a quarter note triplet in amongst eighth notes so you get three notes in the space you are used to hearing four. I remember having to work on that for a bit to get the timing.

It's just a matter of practicing though. Practice counting and you'll eventually get it and it will, with time, become a very simple thing.

Best of Luck
Si
Quote by food1010
That's awesome.

Yes, I think the word banana sounds funny when you repeat it a lot. Don't judge me.

You can use hippopotamus for pentuplets! (that's what I do!)
Quote by timeconsumer09
You can use hippopotamus for pentuplets! (that's what I do!)

and then there are septuplets, for which i use either 'homosexuality' or 'socioeconomic'.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
You have to make sure the rhythms don't contrast if you're using triplets. You can't play 16th note triplets over 16th notes, because only the four notes on beat would line up and you would all throw eachother off. However, it would work playing 16th note triplets over 8th notes, or 8th note triplets over quarter notes, because you'd be playing three notes, for every one they play.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
You have to make sure the rhythms don't contrast if you're using triplets. You can't play 16th note triplets over 16th notes, because only the four notes on beat would line up and you would all throw eachother off. However, it would work playing 16th note triplets over 8th notes, or 8th note triplets over quarter notes, because you'd be playing three notes, for every one they play.

Wait, why can't I play 16th triplets over straight 16ths???

It just sounds like a 3:2 polyrhythm (yes, triplet 16ths over straight 16ths are a polyrhythm).

And by sounds like, I mean that's what it IS.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Wait, why can't I play 16th triplets over straight 16ths???

It just sounds like a 3:2 polyrhythm (yes, triplet 16ths over straight 16ths are a polyrhythm).

And by sounds like, I mean that's what it IS.

You can, sorry I worded it bad because my english isnt great, and yeah that's exactly what ot is. but judging by your question your problem was that yuo couldn't pull that off and I don't blame you, I've been playing for over 10 years and I doubt I would attempt to do that in a song. it's a technique that requires immense concentration and little reward, as it doesnt sound too great in the end. As for songs that are predominatly triplets.. that sounds like it would just be in 12/8 and not triplets at all. The whole point of triplets is it has that 3:1 or 3:2 contrast in the rhythm. Try some Lamb of God or something.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jul 3, 2010,