Ok so i want to build a rack set up. Im planing on using a podxt live as my pre amp and going into a power amp. but i have no idea as to which power amp to use. any ideas? and i never have built a rack before so as to what rack to house this all in would also help. i was hoping to not spend more than 300 on the power amp.
Thanks
Last edited by hot4teacher at Jul 2, 2010,
Of course it will work, thats a given. Finding a poweramp for 300 that will make the pod sound good is however a different matter. Possibly Peavey classic 50?
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
2nd vote for a peavey classic 50/50. My setup is pod x3 live -> peavey classic 50/50 -> Orange 2x12 re-wired in stereo.
so would the power amps i listed ot work for this type of set up? Also i was looking at a mesa 290 power amp
yes they would both work, but i would advise checking what type of speaker outputs they, 1/4" is preferable so you can stick with using standard speaker cables. Ofcourse, a mesa 2:90 would be infinately better than both of those, but also much. much more expensive. i would suggest watching your local used market for a peavey Classic 50/50 or Carvin TS100, or even anything similar.
Id be amazed if you found a mesa 2:90 for 300. Do you have a cab already? I'f not you will need one and if looking for amp and cab then it might be worth taking a look at the Atomic amps.

I used to run one of the older ones with an Xt live and as far as powering digital preamps goes its the best solution as its the only solution designed specifically for the job on the market.

The Atomic even did a great job of amplifying tube preamps when I got my old Engl e530.

Worth a look at least eh?

http://www.fractalaudio.com/
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by hot4teacher
what does a mesa 290 normally go for

I cant talk for the American market as I dont live there but if the EU market is anything to go by you are looking at around $800 - $1000 for a Mesa 2:90.

EDIT: I checked American ebay and $800-$1100 is bang on for that poweramp.

For that kind of money the world opens up and at this price point I see little or no merit in modelling when you can just afford a really nice amp...
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Last edited by halikus at Jul 6, 2010,