As you can see in my sig, I'm saving up for a Mark V. I just got a job and within a few months I should have the money. (A lot of people IRL are telling me I don't have the will power to save up for so long, but I'll show them!)

Now... I DO have a cab to go with whatever head I'm getting, but it's a crappy Crate cab. My band played a few shows the year before last and we got some money, bought the cab from a friend for 60 bucks and it's been in my closet for like 2 years.

Would it be shameful to spend so much on a Mark V and then play it through a Crate cab? I will also be doing a lot of direct/impulse recording.

Or should I get a Mark IV off the bay and get a cheap cab with V30s like the Harley Benton or an Avatar?

I guess what I'm REALLY asking is if the Mark V is really worth $600 more bucks. (Almost every Mark IV goes for about $1400 on ebay)
I'd probably go for the IV and good cab, but try both first if you can. They are pretty similar, but not the same. The IVs lead channel is meant to be more aggressive than the Vs, but the V has a better Crunch/R2 channel. Both are still great amps.
The Mark V is superior in basically every aspect IMO.

I was skeptical when I got one, but the clean channel is miles ahead of the Mark IV on the V. R2 on the V absolutely SLAYS R2 on the IV. The only place where it's really a toss up is on the lead channel. I myself couldn't find a tone I truly loved on the V's lead channel (though I really wasn't ever truly satisfied with the Mark IV's lead channel either), but R2's crunch mode with the gain maxed and EQ set to taste really made up for that one

That being said, for the price of both of them, there are other amps I'd much rather have.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 2, 2010,
Mark V has moar buttonz. Thus it is better.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by MatrixClaw

That being said, for the price of both of them, there are other amps I'd much rather have.

Well can you suggest any amps that do what the Mark V does but better? I've always loved John Petrucci's Mark tones more than anything and that had me a little convinced, but I'd never heard a Mark in real life. Then I went and saw BTBAM, Paul Waggoner's Mark V blasting me in the face, and then I knew I had to have it.

So I'm pretty set on it, but if there is truly something better for the price, I'm all ears.
well what type of sound are u looking for? any bands u are trying to sound like? Do u need good cleans?
If you like those tones, a Mark is definitely for you. Nothing else will really get the same tone, maybe similar but not the same, at least nothing I've heard or tried.
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Mark V is superior in basically every aspect IMO.

I was skeptical when I got one, but the clean channel is miles ahead of the Mark IV on the V. R2 on the V absolutely SLAYS R2 on the IV. The only place where it's really a toss up is on the lead channel. I myself couldn't find a tone I truly loved on the V's lead channel (though I really wasn't ever truly satisfied with the Mark IV's lead channel either), but R2's crunch mode with the gain maxed and EQ set to taste really made up for that one

You have to remember that Petrucci also has a nasa super computer (Enough processing power for one at least......) working with his amps also.

However you should really show off your willpower by buying the Mark V, using the crappy crate cab for a while whilst saving for a cab of your choosing.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works