Poll: so?
Poll Options
View poll results: so?
Edwards
24 55%
Gibson
20 45%
Voters: 44.
ok reading the thread title it should be an easy contest because i know people are going to be shouting "GIBSON" at their pc monitors, but hear me out

im currently waiting for a quote to get an Edwards E EX 125D but im expecting it to be around £750 (possibly more)

I know that i could also get a used gibson explorer for the same price or save another £300 and get a brand new one.

so what do you think?

do i go for the guitar i have always wanted since i imagined a natural stained explorer

OR

do i save for abit longer and go for the higher end explorer that i have never really been interested in but knowing that it will be a better quality....

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/ex/E-EX-125E.html

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer.aspx
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
If I were to buy online I'd get the Edwards..

gibsons are either hit or miss,its important that you try the same thing you're gonna buy..do you want to spend 1000 quid and end up with a complete lemon?
The edwards are just *better* ESP ltd guitars. They are good but the fact that you have to import them from Japan makes too expensive for what you get.

I would say you are far better off with a used Gibson. It is the better guitar, especially the wood it is made of sets it worlds apart from the Edwards. Just make sure you play it before you buy it as Gibsons quality control sucks these days!
My thoughts on the japanese copies of gibsons such as edwards, burny, greco, tokai etc are that they often are on par with some of the better gibsons in terms of playability and sound quality, but they are very generic and don't really have the same sort of "character" a gibson does. If you can find a gibson that feels right to you you'll definitely want to go for the gibson. There's just something very desirable about them to the extent that you'll pay any price for one if it feels right in your hands
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
edwardses are very expensive at the moment because of the exchange rate.

i don't think i've tried a gibson explorer, so I can't comment on that specific model. I'd order an edwards unseen before i'd order a gibson unseen. I agree, for edwardses anyway, that a little of what blompcube is saying about the genericness is true, though i don't think it's as big a deal as he's making out (edwardses aren't 100% MIJ either, I've tried tokais which are far better than any gibsons I've tried, though admittedly I haven't tried any CS gibsons). And I've also tried gibsons which were DO NOT WANT.

It's up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It seems that sometimes people give undue credit to Japanese guitars for understandable reasons... I actually had chance to try some of Edwards and Grassroots (both of which are sub-brand of ESP) while in Korea (both brands are, as far as I know, exclusively for Japanese and Korean markets only)

Edwards are good, but they are not really a substitute for a real gibson. They are good for their price (even the 90LTC that I personally tried, which is not even their highest priced model) but that's it.
However, the merit of price is reduced to almost nothing if you are living in a country where they must be imported... this seriously jacks up the price to the point where it would be better to just save up a bit more and get a Gibson...

just my opinion though
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
Quote by Dave_Mc
edwardses are very expensive at the moment because of the exchange rate.

i don't think i've tried a gibson explorer, so I can't comment on that specific model. I'd order an edwards unseen before i'd order a gibson unseen. I agree, for edwardses anyway, that a little of what blompcube is saying about the genericness is true, though i don't think it's as big a deal as he's making out (edwardses aren't 100% MIJ either, I've tried tokais which are far better than any gibsons I've tried, though admittedly I haven't tried any CS gibsons). And I've also tried gibsons which were DO NOT WANT.

It's up to you, really.

well yeah i think i exaggerated my point a little, sometimes i have to to be able to explain what i'm on about

an example of what i'm on about is that i love my gibson les paul even though it's not the best guitar in the world (far from it) - it just feels right, it feels unique, and i just enjoy holding it in my hands, whether i'm playing it or not, and i'm addicted to it. However, i played a Burny SG, which sounded better, and played MUCH better, and i'm seriously GASing for that SG right now. But it didn't feel special at all and just had no "personality" as such. it was an "excellent" guitar as opposed to a "lovely" guitar, if you know what i mean even though it's a better guitar i wouldn't like it so much, i guess.

on a side note - the burny sounded a lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GBgWnYDVww and that, to me, is the "holy grail" of tone
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
yeah, i know what you mean. I would say it depends on the model, too- the cheapest MIJ ones, like edwards (granted, not 100% MIJ) or the tokai ls80 or whatever are very nice guitars, probably better QC than a gibson, but might not have quite the mojo, kind of thing. But the couple of higher-end Tokais I've tried have been amazing. Not just almost as nice, flat out nicer than any gibson (non-CS) I've tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
CS GIbsons start at $3500 CAD here for a VOS 57 Gold Top and quickly hit $5000+ for R8, R9 etc. Great guitars but a serious price.

Because of all the hand work on Gibsons (even USA models) you need to try the non-CS ones out before buying. You can find a great guitar but they're not all great so I would never order one online.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 2, 2010,
Gibson, Cuz im not a fan of EMGs, and its fun to tell ur freinds u have a gibson
Eh.
I remember I read Shane from Bmusic saying that the Edwards Explorers aren't done as well as their les pauls. I'm just regurgitating though. Also, since the strap button is on the shoulder of the guitar (and not on the back) will it cause balance issues? All the explorers I've tried with the strap button in that location have had that problem.

I was interested in an Edwards explorer but avoided it because I wasn't sure about the balance and you can't exactly go try one out.