Poll: Which was more important to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which was more important to you?
ACT (with or without Writing)
9 32%
SAT (with or withouth Subject Tests)
9 32%
Both are important, imo.
10 36%
Voters: 28.
Hey guys,

So as you can see from the thread title education and spelling in the UK and France isn't that good, in my humble opinion that is. My aim is at the end of my senior year here in France, i.e. this coming year, to go and study in the US. Now all the colleges and Unis look for either the ACT + Writing, or the SAT + two subject tests.

My question to you people is: Which one is better? I've heard different ones from different people. Like the SAT is better for East and west coast, and the ACT is better for the Mid-West and the like.

Which ones did you guys do, and which one do you think was more important?
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
LOL, education is a lot worse in America unless you are able to pay extortionate tuition fees.

You get out what you put in. How about stay in France and work harder...
Education in the UK is actually very good... Much better than America. I mean, in the UK you don't get shot in your secondary school.
ACT for the midwest, SAT for the East Coast, and it's hit or miss on the West Coast.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Don't university fees in America cost shitloads?
Come to Australia dude It's relatively cheap

There's blood in the water
Sinking, always sinking

I took both. ACT is easier. Just do yourself a favor and take both - most colleges like to see that you have, plus you might do better on one than the other.

Also, they're kind of a different style of test. SAT is designed to test how prepared you are to learn in college or w/e while ACT is designed to test how well you learned your highschool curriculum... at least that's what it feels like to me.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Education in the UK is actually very good... Much better than America. I mean, in the UK you don't get shot in your secondary school.

No you get stabbed.... which is a lot more polite.
[
Quote by Skuzzmo

"Top o' the mornin' to ya, old chap!"

I took the ACT once, my junior year of high-school. I was a total wreck when I took it as tests or any sort freak me out. I ended up making like a 19 and that's with doing completely horrible on the Math portion. I'm not taking it again unless I have to.

And seeing as I live in America, I totally agree the price of a higher education is ridiculous. Especially when you are not eligible for student grants, or you weren't lucky enough to have connections to get a scholarship. >.>
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by KeepOnRotting
"Top o' the mornin' to ya, old chap!"

He was talking about England, not Ireland.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
LOL, education is a lot worse in America unless you are able to pay extortionate tuition fees.

But a lot of the time, they offer full scholarships to guys who have graduated in another language, and can pass the college's entry exam (in English). A portion of people I know who graduated in French here in Belgium have gotten full scholarships at some pretty prestigious colleges in the US like that.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
He was talking about England, not Ireland.

I think that's why he threw in "old chap".
"Edumacation"? What the hell
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Pengu1n
I think that's why he threw in "old chap".

Yeah, I pretty much just lump England, Ireland and Scotland in together as the same place.

Don't stab me
We use the ACT here in Ohio.

A bunch of French exchange students (like 20 of them or something) came over to the college of business and they aren't good at English sigh. I'm not in the college of business, but they came and would come to the cafeteria and stuff and I'd have to decipher them ("We don't have salad, but we have lettuce ").

And why would TS come over? Idk, we pay for them to come over. The foreigners here, although they have to technically pay more, get a lot in financial aid. A lot.. Something about "building diversity". I think it is rubbish.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Yeah, I pretty much just lump England, Ireland and Scotland in together as the same place.

Don't stab me

Quite a few people in Ireland would probably much rather blow you up for that instead.
Last edited by Matt-92 at Jul 2, 2010,
The ACT mattered more for me, but that's because I go to school in the Mid-West. Yeah, American colleges are going to cost a lot, but like a lot of people have said, pretty much anyone can get financial aid. ESPECIALLY foreigners. My brother's roommate was actually from Scotland when he was in school. It depends on what university you want to go to, but I'd take both the SAT and the ACT just to be safe.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I work hard enough and am in the top 5% of my class.

Quote by qwerty_555

Come to Australia dude It's relatively cheap

I could seeing as I have Aussie citizenship, but I don't really want to.

Quote by jfreyvogel
Be careful with choosing where and how you study in America, as with a lot of things here our average schools are terrible, however our good school are better than almost anywhere else.

I have, I've been looking around for a long time and have a shortlist, based on reviews, graduates that I know and so on and so forth.

Quote by Arrived+Dparted
Yeah, American colleges are going to cost a lot, but like a lot of people have said, pretty much anyone can get financial aid. ESPECIALLY foreigners. My brother's roommate was actually from Scotland when he was in school. It depends on what university you want to go to, but I'd take both the SAT and the ACT just to be safe.

Thanks, I think I will end up doing that anyway, but just wanted some opinions that aren't from people I know, impartial like, if you get me.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by KeepOnRotting

Don't stab me

Go fall out a window, ya bollix.

And to TS, I honestly can't see the point in uprooting yourself if you're really in the top 5% in your class.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by Skuzzmo

You only tend to get stabbed up north. It's pratically a different country up there; we southerners can barely understand them. Don't get me started on Wales though.
SAT is definitely better for better colleges. It has nothing to do with region, I got into a good midwestern college mostly on the back of my SAT scores(and decent grades). Just don't get me started on what I think of college, though. :lmao:
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I just took the SAT but it wasn't such a big deal for my school as to which test you took. Just as long as you took one of the tests, or both. SAT seems to be more prevalent in the south I think. Contact your school of interest and ask an academic advisor on which test you should take.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by bodyheatseeker

And to TS, I honestly can't see the point in uprooting yourself if you're really in the top 5% in your class.

To be honest, I'd like to get out of Europe, and I'm not the biggest fan of France in itself.

Quote by Zombee
SAT is definitely better for better colleges. It has nothing to do with region, I got into a good midwestern college mostly on the back of my SAT scores(and decent grades). Just don't get me started on what I think of college, though. :lmao:

Cool thanks! Which one do you go to?

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
You might as well take both if you're not sure where you're gonna end up. But if you have to choose one, I'd say the SAT is more universally accepted, but many schools will take either one.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Last edited by thefuzz454 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Dirge Humani
Nah, she's right.

Completely disagree. I have hardly paid anything towards school due to scholarships and have learned as much or even more in my courses than some of my friends who went to expensive universities. You get out what you put in in terms of effort and sincere desires to understand and educate yourself. Not money.
Basically you had it right in your OP, it has a lot to do with region. But also now many schools accept either. If you know what schools you are looking for then look them up and see what they require, but if not I would say take both.

Also the ACT is a bit easier than the SAT. From what I understand the difference between the two is that the ACT tests more of your reasoning and problem solving in different subjects while the SAT is more about testing comprehension, like how much you know in different subjects. Good Luck!
Thanks!

And also, I don't drink much, so I can live with the drinking age being higher.

And IMHO, it's the student that makes their education, not the school. As was said earlier here.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Don't listen to the haters here. American Universities are pretty sweet, as long as you know where the good ones are. Sure, it's expensive, but you learn a lot and pay it off quickly as long as you don't go to a university to have a useless degree in like theater.
Quote by Dirge Humani
That's my opinion too. But not the opinion of most other people in the US.

YEah I know, it seems to be a huge elitist thing there. My girlfriend got into Smith and Kenyon, but had to choose a school she didn't want due to money or something, and she thought that school was "below" her. She didn't listen to my opinion on that one.

As for degree, I'm planning on French and business, to go into commercial law after. It means more debt due to grad school, but it's worth it imo.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Dawginator
Cool thanks! Which one do you go to?

I went to Purdue.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Most schools prefer one but will accept either. Your best bet is probably both. Make SURE where you're applying actually cares about the Writing portion of the ACT though; none of them here do.
Quote by lt22

Also, they're kind of a different style of test. SAT is designed to test how prepared you are to learn in college or w/e while ACT is designed to test how well you learned your highschool curriculum... at least that's what it feels like to me.

Nay. Well I mean that's the format of those tests, sure, but they're designed to predict your likelihood of staying in college past your freshman year. Why would colleges want people who are only going to drop out, only paying a year's worth of tuition?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I only took the SAT. I got a 1930 or something and got into my first choice uni. I don't really see the point in the ACT, it just seems like it's an easier alternative.

Edit: IDK what the poll has to do with the title, but IMO US education is shit. Of course it's the only education I've known.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Last edited by walkinbazooka at Jul 2, 2010,