This may be difficult to explain but here goes!

So I don't know if there's a general rule from store to store or if they all differ greatly but, say you're looking for a specific guitar, and the store are willing to order one in for you. Is it common place to pay for the guitar there and then or are you under no obligation to buy the guitar?

Reason being I am looking at a certain guitar and no stores locally seem to stock it so I'd like to try it out before I buy it.

Good lord I hope that makes sense to other people!
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
probably dependant on the store.

I bet a place like Guitar center will only order it if youre going to buy it for sure.. but they still have a 30 day return policy, so im not sure..

there is a local store here that ordered a blackberry sunburst Ibanez s420 after I said I really liked the colors of it. they ordered it and said if you cant buy it someone else likely will..

so its likely dependant on the store, may have to ask around
I'm not sure, but I think that it varies from store to store. The storekeeper would probably be the best person to answer you on the specifics <:
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I did this last year i had gc order me a schecter tempest custom when i got it i took it home and played it a couple weeks decided i didnt like it and took it back and returned it no questions asked.
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I'm not sure, but I think that it varies from store to store. The storekeeper would probably be the best person to answer you on the specifics <:

+1

a lot will expect you to buy it. It's unlikely, but I guess if it's something that they think would sell if you didn't want it, they might consider ordering it in without any obligation, but I'm guessing that's going to be the exception rather than the rule.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A big box store like Sam Ash or Guitar Center will be different than a mom and pop music store. A mom and pop store will usually require you to pay a non refundable deposit when you order. I often had to pay 50% up front. The amount will vary. Once you inspect the guitar in the shop, pay, and take possession of the guitar it cannot be returned unless there is a serious factory defect.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Yeah, my local store only requires 50% of what the guitar costs. Then they order it, and then you pay the rest when the guitar arrives.
The price is the factor, if its very little then they generally dont ask for payment.

But tbh anything over a 100 in any currency they want you to pay.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
any currency? yen?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?