So after finally getting to grips with one legato technique, I still can't get this one down. I find it so fucking awkward, yet I see it all the time in some of the most basic solos - so what the hell is the picking pattern for something like this?

e|-7--------7--------7--------7--------|
B|---10p7-----10p7-----10p7-----10p7---|
G|--------9--------9--------9--------9-|

I've tried doing UUD and UDD, but nothing 'rolls' as nicely as that other one I used to do (topic linked above). It sounds godly whenever I hear others doing it, but ungodly on my own attempts.

Besides practicing and frustrating myself even more, might there be some hidden technique of which I need to know? Hell, it happened last time and good things happened.
Quote by blue_strat
I'd play that DUU.

Ack... Nothing worse than string-skipping with inside picking.
Quote by blue_strat
I'd play that DUU.

Same here. Usually when I try to learn a new lick, my picking hand just kind of plays it in the way most comfortable to me without me even thinking about it.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by guitarsftw
Hybrid pick it

either this, sweep it UUU, or play it UUD.

if you wanna make the return to the e-string easier you wanna end on a D
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
The part that has me struggling the most is shifting the index from e to B, whilst doing the 10p7. How the hell? Is it that rolling/barring thing again, like with sweeps...?

I can't find any good videos which teach this technique in detail. Gilbert touched on it once, but he didn't really say how he does it.
Last edited by DaFjory at Jul 2, 2010,
try it like this

--7--------------------
-----h10p7----------
---------------7-------
Quote by trashbeast
try it like this

--7--------------------
-----h10p7----------
---------------7-------

Feels better, but that little jump from the first to second strings still feels like shit. Am I supposed to roll the index slightly, or have it jump cleanly over whilst the h10 is happening?
Quote by DaFjory
Feels better, but that little jump from the first to second strings still feels like shit. Am I supposed to roll the index slightly, or have it jump cleanly over whilst the h10 is happening?

Whatever you want... some people lay the index and roll it some people just jump it. It doesn't really change the sound, unless you sound better with one over the other, but it's just about comfort. Laying the index might be easier but if your fingers are used to moving, then maybe just jump it.
Quote by fob12
Whatever you want... some people lay the index and roll it some people just jump it. It doesn't really change the sound, unless you sound better with one over the other, but it's just about comfort. Laying the index might be easier but if your fingers are used to moving, then maybe just jump it.

Makes sense. The picking also feels more natural and flowing when I do U on the first string and D on the third, with just a hammer from nowhere and a pull on the second.

Noise, however, is a problem on the third. The string keeps ringing out badly, especially since I'm playing this stuff with high gain. Should I be rolling my palm over every time after hitting it? I've got no other way of muting it...
Quote by DaFjory
Makes sense. The picking also feels more natural and flowing when I do U on the first string and D on the third, with just a hammer from nowhere and a pull on the second.

Noise, however, is a problem on the third. The string keeps ringing out badly, especially since I'm playing this stuff with high gain. Should I be rolling my palm over every time after hitting it? I've got no other way of muting it...

What I do it bend it and during the bend start the riff again and it goes so fast there's no time for it to ring. Even if it does, it's a blues riff. It's meant to sound a little dirty, so if you think it sounds pretty ballsy in a good way, then just keep it how you like.
Quote by trashbeast
try it like this

--7--------------------
-----h10p7----------
---------------7-------

Once again, just updating on how this turned out. Surprisingly, this specific method actually feels pretty comfortable now! I used to think I'd never get this type of lick down, but all it took was a friendly nudge in the right direction by this kind Canadian soul, and I'm now on my way.

A big thank you, to you!
Another update to bump this, just in case anyone else has had trouble with this type of lick. All in all, it's taken me 4 years to nail it just right! So this is how I'm doing it now, and it's completely up to speed (i.e. on the level of Fade To Black and Free Bird, where they feature prominently in the solos)...

V          V          V          V
e|-7----------7----------7----------7----------|
B|---h10p7------h10p7------h10p7------h10p7----|
G|---------h9---------h9---------h9---------h9-|

For the way I play (less picking, the better), those hammers are the all-important key to making it work. I don't understand how it could possibly be done any differently. The only note being picked is that upstroke on the first string, and the rest are hammers and pulls.

For the muting, I finally got things quiet by barring the first and second strings, and muting the third with my fingertip from below. Conveniently, my ring finger which does h10 ends up muting the picked 7, as it does for h9.

Hence, everything's hushed on the noise front. The whole thing 'rolls' very nicely.
Id play that UUD to be honest, that way youre moving down towards the high e already as the lick cycles again. the pulloff gives you some extra time to make the e on the g string a downstroke

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
i just alternate pick it.DUD UDU etc.
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Regarding the original legato lick -

Use a hammer on from nowhere when you change strings. Meaning the only note you should be picking in this sequence is that B on the 7th fret of the high E string. Everything else legato'd.

Also, the lick someone posted just before this - very blues rock cliche lick, just bend the G string with your middle and ring while your pinky and index do the pull-off on the next string.
Last edited by STONESHAKER at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by DaFjory
Ack... Nothing worse than string-skipping with inside picking.

Let me introduce you to a guitarist named PAUL GILBERT :d
Quote by STONESHAKER
Regarding the original legato lick -

Use a hammer on from nowhere when you change strings. Meaning the only note you should be picking in this sequence is that B on the 7th fret of the high E string. Everything else legato'd.

Yup. Which is exactly how I ended up with this, as I posted before...

V          V          V          V

Picking anything else but that B on the first string slows me down tremendously. Why would people want to be slowed down, anyway?

Quote by SmokeJs
Let me introduce you to a guitarist named PAUL GILBERT

... Who himself dislikes inside picking and has stated clearly that he doesn't see how people could skip strings without outside picking. So I dunno what you're talking about.
Quote by DaFjory
Yup. Which is exactly how I ended up with this, as I posted before...

V V V V

Picking anything else but that B on the first string slows me down tremendously. Why would people want to be slowed down, anyway?

... Who himself dislikes inside picking and has stated clearly that he doesn't see how people could skip strings without outside picking. So I dunno what you're talking about.

I play it using DUU and do the bending with my ring and middle finger.

I happen to have upload a video on youtube where i play a lick with the same pattern, check out the first 10 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VwXj_CzJE
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
I play it using DUU and do the bending with my ring and middle finger.

I happen to have upload a video on youtube where i play a lick with the same pattern, check out the first 10 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8VwXj_CzJE

you really should have turned that fan off :P

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I have a question about a lick that is the same as that, except it ends with a full step bend. How on earth do you make it sound clean and fast?

Also, this lick?

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---12-15----------12-15-----------12h15----------12h15-----------------
G-----------14b16----------14b16-----------14b16----------14b16--------
D--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do it slow, build up speed. I don't think there's any secret to this one, it's just something you have to work on the mechanics slowly with until you can build it up. Some of it could be hand strength as well if you haven't been playing for too long, but it comes with time (know that I say this because I was in your shoes not very long ago and I got it...so you can too).

In regards to the finger placement if it's not obvious: I would hammer on from 12 to 15 with my index/pinky and bend the 14th fret with my middle+ring fingers to make the bend easier and more accurate. Mute using your picking hand to keep the G string from ringing out after the bend.

I really have to emphasize doing it slowly though. Concentrate on hitting the bend accurately at the full step and muting it without letting it ring out as it comes down, then combine that with the 12h15 part.
Last edited by RockInPeaceDime at Jul 19, 2010,
I play it how Paul Gilbert plays it: UDD.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
do it like Dimebag Darrell did those licks... pick only the first note on the high e-string, rest is hammered on without any more picking!