Hey UG, its been a few months since I've posted anything in this forum area, so to get back into it I think I'll post a little cover I just did. Its the song Plush by Stone Temple Pilots, who just recently released an album by the same name. Tell me what you think, I'm going away for the weekend so the list of people I might need to comment on could get long... But, yeah. C4C, I'll get back to you eventually. Promise.

The song's here:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6226271/Plush.mp3

No vid, I'm too lazy.

EDIT: Its also here, too. Sorry if anyone clicked the other one to find nothing at all. :P

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/L2112Lif/music/all/play860551
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jul 2, 2010,
It wouldn't play the link so I went to your profile and listened to State of Mind. I like the track, It starts off a little slow but I like the feeling. With the electric guitar I would work on your tone a little it sounds muddy at times. Also, really focus on your phrasing (I need to work on this also) don't rush and let it flow. Good job man. Keep up the good work. If that link ever works for me I'll listen to that also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Yeah, thanks. Thats an old one from last year when I just got my mac. I might throw this one on my profile, but I don't think that anyone of Facebook's had a problem with it playing. There's a few seconds of silence as I try to get my bearings, though. Perhaps thats what it was?

EDIT: Its now on my profile too, which is here:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/L2112Lif/music/all/play860551
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jul 2, 2010,
haha it wouldn't start :p. ok the one on your profile works for me. It sounds like you need to tune your guitar just slightly. It is well played and has a nice warm tone. Did you do the vocals? They sound great. Overall it's sounding good. Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Yeah, my acoustic's battery died so I needed to record through a mic, which is different from the way I record, which uses a mic and direct input... The other downside to a dead battery is the fact that the tuner doesn't work, but G strings are pesky and drop out of tune all the time. But yeah, the vocals and guitar are both mine.
I'm no expert but honestly I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The vocals were so good I kinda forgot about the guitar lol. But I really liked the vocals, very strong and lots of emotion.
Last.fm

Baltimore Ravens
Washington Capitals
Baltimore Orioles
Jeff Gordon24
The vocals were REALLY REALLY awesome. The guitar was pretty good to, I like ur chord choice. Great job man
I just listened to this through my speakers for the first time right now, I actually wouldn't have put it up if I did this while I was editing, lol. Just an interesting thought, I usually don't like my vocal tone, but a lot of vocalists are insecure about their tone...
Really good!
I really like your voice, but it sounds somewhat distant with reverb (as in recorded far away from a microphone)
Did you do everything in one take with just one microphone or how did you record it?
I wish i had the balls (or voice) to sing. ;D

Great effort!
¯|(°_o)/¯
I had to do it in two takes, and the reverb and echo are there, literally, to cover the sound of a refrigerator and water pump in the basement. Its the best recording room, with those two exceptions, and there's no where thats really better. I ran out of battery in my Aco-Elect guitar, and I've only got one mic input, so I needed to record vocals and guitar separately (And now I'm pissed because I lost the little clip that the two 3 volt batteries are held on, so I need to wait for the manufacturer to send me a new one...)

I've got another version on my comp, and I'm considering using that one on my first 'release', an acoustic set of three covers and seven or eight originals to drum up support from venues and gather a band to make them... Well... Electric. :P

Everyone can sing, ya know? A Lot of people are out of tune or have trouble simply because they don't try it often. Tone comes with practice... I remember last year I sang like a choir boy, technically correct, but the tone was thin so that it fit with other voices. Now my voice has got a bit more body, and it came through practice and criticism.
very good in my opinion, the voice it's very good, I didn't noticed the "far away from mic" that they said before, it's awesome, I loved

Ps.: Thanks for the comment on mine
yeah, aside from the slight out-of-tuneness of the guitar, it was a very, very solid cover. there were a couple points i thought you might be straining your voice a little, but you did a stunning job on the bridge. i wouldn't have put quite as much echo on the vocals personally, but you said that was to cover up ambient noise, so that's okay. you might even experiment with some reverb on the guitar. very nice work man, i love that song.

you can listen/crit something on my profile if you want. like Say It Ain't So w/ EZD
Thanks dude, I'll check it out. I'm actually using the criticism to re-tool the mix a bit. Soon I'm gonna put up a cover of Sour Girl and an original recording in the Originals forum, so those might be worthwhile to take a look at when they're done. ^_^
hey man, i just had an idea. i just found a recording i did of Plush a while ago (not acoustic though) but i never recorded vocals because i didn't have a mic... see where i'm going with this?

you could send some vocals my way and we'd have a nice UG collab! tell me what you think.
okay give me a sec to upload the mp3 and i'll link you to it.

EDIT: here you go, it's about 12 MB only because it's 320 kbps quality.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jnrynol12jn/plush.mp3

tell me if you don't like anything about it. it's a rough draft and i'm still messing with the drums as well as the entire mix, so suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by gnomieowns at Jul 5, 2010,
If you're singing ,then hi 5 ! I'm trying to sing along the Metallica's Nothing Else Matter ,but it's a really tough thing combining those two I didn't recognize any mistakes for playing the guitar... Maybe in the beginning a few of notes from chord That's all ,mate
I'm definitely liking this! Good use of dynamics and articulation in order to put your feelings across on both the guitar and vocals.

Some really high notes on the vocals - you got them, and i can't hear any sort of strain. I've got to learn how to sing like that!
However, it seems as if you are trapping some of the sound at the back of the throat a bit. Perhaps try to project a tiny bit more by focusing your voice at a particular object in the room, or visualising yourself filling a large room with your voice.

No complaints about the guitar - nice accompaniment, recording quality great and everything 'strummed' perfectly!

Keep it up!

Comment on mine? Thanks
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329977
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319237
Quote by ankthebank
I'm definitely liking this! Good use of dynamics and articulation in order to put your feelings across on both the guitar and vocals.

Some really high notes on the vocals - you got them, and i can't hear any sort of strain. I've got to learn how to sing like that!
However, it seems as if you are trapping some of the sound at the back of the throat a bit. Perhaps try to project a tiny bit more by focusing your voice at a particular object in the room, or visualising yourself filling a large room with your voice.

No complaints about the guitar - nice accompaniment, recording quality great and everything 'strummed' perfectly!

Keep it up!

Comment on mine? Thanks
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329977
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319237

Yeah... My voice is usually pushed pretty far back for this, its the style Scott used in the original. Its not the most comfortable thing ever, but those high notes are where things get released, and they're not really super high for me... I've got a range similar to Chris Cornell, but with less bottom depth; I need to fry to get as low as he does in Beyond the Wheel. thanks, I'll take a listen!
nice one mate! you could have incorporated a bass line, would make it a killer one. The throwing of your voice is nice. Keep it up.

p.s. sorry for the late reply.