Sounds like some kind of guitar novel, eh?

I know that if you plug a bass guitar into a guitar amp, the speakers won't handle that very well, and will pretty much get destroyed. The same goes for plugging a keyboard into your guitar amp, at least I've been told to stay of the low octaves, because those will damage your amp.

But if it's that serious, won't baritone guitars or whammy pedals destroy the speakers too? I mean, with a Whammy IV I believe you can drop two full octaves. And bands like Porcupine Tree play baritone guitars played in drop-E (one octave below) trough their guitar amps.

Please help me out, why is there even a difference? Wouldn't you destroy your speakers just by playing around with a Whammy IV?
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
Some speakers can handle a Bari some can't.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
it really depends on how loud and how much bass you're pumping through. alot of studio recordings actually use guitar amps for bass guitars along with a bass amp. it's not normally recommended but you just have to watch your levels. i imagine a 4x12 will handle it better than say a 1x12
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Ok, then I will whammy away!
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

I posted this question a while ago.

Only somewhat realistic answer is that it isnt generally for extended periods of time.

Since its the frequency that the speakers have trouble reproducing, apparently, pitch is pitch, so it doesnt matter what instrument its bein played with.
Actually, i remembered something about this just the other day:

There are a bunch of guitar and bass amps that feature an aux in for MP3 and CD players, etc.
If the speaker can handle complete band songs (with all the instruments you can think of), why won't it be able to handle a different instrument through the input?

I can understand that a different instrument could damage the amplification circuit, but not the speaker itself.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Actually, i remembered something about this just the other day:

There are a bunch of guitar and bass amps that feature an aux in for MP3 and CD players, etc.
If the speaker can handle complete band songs (with all the instruments you can think of), why won't it be able to handle a different instrument through the input?

I can understand that a different instrument could damage the amplification circuit, but not the speaker itself.

A different instrument will not damage the amplification circuit, ever. Unless your instrument is a poweramplifier. Most likely, those aux ins have bass cuts to protect the speaker.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Apparently its to do with the resonances/harmonics of the instrument or something.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Penn100
Sounds like some kind of guitar novel, eh?

I know that if you plug a bass guitar into a guitar amp, the speakers won't handle that very well, and will pretty much get destroyed. The same goes for plugging a keyboard into your guitar amp, at least I've been told to stay of the low octaves, because those will damage your amp.

But if it's that serious, won't baritone guitars or whammy pedals destroy the speakers too? I mean, with a Whammy IV I believe you can drop two full octaves. And bands like Porcupine Tree play baritone guitars played in drop-E (one octave below) trough their guitar amps.

Please help me out, why is there even a difference? Wouldn't you destroy your speakers just by playing around with a Whammy IV?

You've just uncovered an Urban Myth - the majority of speakers will not be "destroyed" by low frequencies.

After all, those low frequencies need to be amplified. Your guitar puts out a pitful signal, it relies on the amp for essentially all it's volume. Most guitar amps are much lower wattage than bass amps and simply don't have the power to push the lower frequencies to the extent where it can cause any damage.

If you have speakers that are rated at a higher wattage than your amp, generally it works out alright. The main reason speakers die is because you feed them a much higher load than they can handle.

Think about small PC Speakers - you play music with shit tons of low end all the time. They don't crap out being turned up loud, generally, they just don't reproduce those bass frequencies very much to begin with.

You can plug a bass into a guitar amp and many people have played like this in the past. It just won't sound very good, or very loud if you're expecting it to sound like a regular bass amp.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Jul 2, 2010,
Sorry for necroing, but... drum samples? Or sampling in general. You know how with a lot of multieffects or loop pedals you get a couple of drum beats to play along to, wouldn't, say, the bass drum be pretty devastating?
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity