just done a little video showing that this little thing can do metalcore/metal easy beacuse ive heard alot of people saying it dosent have enough gain?! which is rubbish.
i did boost it with a maxon od 808 but i do that with all my amps because it tightens the bottom end nicely to my taste.
in the video i had the gain set at about 1:30pm so not much over halfway,
the maxon was set with the balance on half, and tone on half, no added overdrive just a clean boost.

the video is just to show it can do metalcore easy because i could not find any videos of anyone playing killswitch, parkway etc etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcIj-iZsVg
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
prs standard 24 platinum grey
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
dual rectifier 3 channel head
prs custom 24
tremonti se (duncan p/ups)
schecter tempest (red)
cleans are good, not fender! but more than good enough, its actually pretty loud, i only just got it so i havent used it with a drummer so i cant really answer that, its really good for home use though.
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
prs custom 24
schecter tempest (red)
yep it seems really great at just 5 watts for the bedroom guitarist
change the thread title, post some pics and do a review
have a HNAD enjoy
Last edited by metalheadblues at Jul 2, 2010,
Steps to make it sound better:

1) Put an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop to lessen the compression and have more midrange control

2) Thank me later
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22

1) Put an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop to lessen the compression and have more midrange control

2) Thank me later

How does an EQ lessen compression?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
yeah, tell me more about the eq! btw i have a marshall jvm 210 head aswell the overdrive on that has very slightly scooped mids compared to the most marshalls. will an eq in the loop help me there aswell, to get more mids and cut through? cheers
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
prs custom 24
schecter tempest (red)
cool tone. nice work. thanks for sharing

EQ in the loop is usually always a good thing. I'm not a JVM fan but how do compare your metal tones of the HT to the JVM?

Also, for some reason I had no video on your tube, only audio.
They are great amps, I just dont understand why people use them for modern metal when they are vintage styled, that just boggles me...
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
They are great amps, I just dont understand why people use them for modern metal when they are vintage styled, that just boggles me...

It boggles you that people care more about tone than style?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by NGMF-Sam

because they can

they are cheap

they are sexy

Gus G uses Blackstar
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
because they can

they are cheap

they are sexy

Gus G gets paid to stand in front of Blackstar cabinets onstage and has never used a Blackstar amp to record anything

I fixed that for you.
Quote by TOMMYB22

2) Thank me later

wat

EQs are not the solution to everything, particularly when there was never a stated problem.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have the same setup with the Maxon. I have a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the loop too and it gives it a nice sizzle - if you take it easy with it. Also try a fuzz on the clean channel. I have the Swollen Pickle and I get Corrosion of Conformity with it. The Mastertron is a good one too. Both get you to doom/sleep fuzz
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
cool tone. nice work. thanks for sharing

EQ in the loop is usually always a good thing. I'm not a JVM fan but how do compare your metal tones of the HT to the JVM?

the jvm has a really articulate gain i think, and they are so tight, no need for a boost. i love my jvm , i would say the jvm is more compressed than most marshalls.
the good thing about the blackstar is you can change the voicing between american and british which is really cool.
i would say the jvm gets a heavier tone and is capable of a lot more gain that you don't need! the jvm is also tighter than the ht 5 as standard, but both have there own nice qualities. the jvm's gain is more defined and cleaner though.
own;
peavey 6505
marshall 1960av cab
esp ltd ec1000 18V M0D
schecter black hawk
ibanez aeg10e acoustic

want;
prs custom 24
schecter tempest (red)
you really think the jvm is enough gain for most things? I didn't think it had that much gain at all when I played it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I got one about a month ago, but I got the full stack because it was on sale for $500 so I had to lol

I like it a lot. It just doesn't have a lot of bass. I'm using my Bad Monkey to boost the bass right now, but I'm thinking of getting the MXR 10 band EQ soon. The cleans are also kind of lacking, but if I get the EQ and scoop the mids I'm hoping that will help out a little.
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by Kanthras
How does an EQ lessen compression?

Maybe it wasn't the right term but using it to tweak the highs and upper mids seems to open it up quite a lot and to my ears, have that effect.

An EQ does help immensely though, in particular for modern metal, it just isn't voiced for that.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
congrats on the new amp. i retolexed mine white when i had it. not sure why, probably boredom.

Quote by AcousticMirror
the bass is probably more due to the speakers then the amp itself.

I don't really think thats the case. When using the Bad Monkey and turning the bass all the way up it brings the bass WAY higher than the amp can do by itself. It rumbles my entire house. So the speakers are capable, its just that the amp itself can't push them that hard without some help.
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by marshall_01
just done a little video showing that this little thing can do metalcore/metal easy beacuse ive heard alot of people saying it dosent have enough gain?! which is rubbish.
i did boost it with a maxon od 808 but i do that with all my amps because it tightens the bottom end nicely to my taste.
the maxon was set with the balance on half, and tone on half, no added overdrive just a clean boost.

the video is just to show it can do metalcore easy because i could not find any videos of anyone playing killswitch, parkway etc etc

Congratulations dude i been through three hts in three days hope yours has no problems.
Quote by jpnyc
I fixed that for you.

In this month's Guitar World he said that he recorded the new Ozzy CD with Blackstar Series One 100s...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by redick4ulous
I don't really think thats the case. When using the Bad Monkey and turning the bass all the way up it brings the bass WAY higher than the amp can do by itself. It rumbles my entire house. So the speakers are capable, its just that the amp itself can't push them that hard without some help.

Yeah, the Bad Monkey's bass boost is monstrous. Crank up the bass and treble and it turns the pedal into a fuzz, almost...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by MatrixClaw
In this month's Guitar World he said that he recorded the new Ozzy CD with Blackstar Series One 100s...

Yeah, some people seem to believe that Blackstar means the Ht5. The series one are absolutely amazing...if they were a few £hundred cheaper

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Raijouta
Yeah, the Bad Monkey's bass boost is monstrous. Crank up the bass and treble and it turns the pedal into a fuzz, almost...

Yea it actually does turn it into sort of a fuzz when I boost it through my Boss MT-2 with the right settings.
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Thanks for posting the video because like you said there arent a whole lot of people boosting ht5's that post the end result. I found another video of the same amp but the tone sounds better, maybe because of the V30's or AHB3 im tempted to get one of these amps but the ht40 has much better distortion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WO1_BoKb3o
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by TheBrownPenguin
Thanks for posting the video because like you said there arent a whole lot of people boosting ht5's that post the end result. I found another video of the same amp but the tone sounds better, maybe because of the V30's or AHB3 im tempted to get one of these amps but the ht40 has much better distortion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WO1_BoKb3o

I actually really hate the overdrive channel on my HT-5. It sounds so flat and dull even when I boost it with the Bad Monkey. Good thing it takes pedals well on the clean channel.
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by redick4ulous
I actually really hate the overdrive channel on my HT-5. It sounds so flat and dull even when I boost it with the Bad Monkey. Good thing it takes pedals well on the clean channel.

I was thinking of buying the HT-5 but I don't want to go shell out more money on distortion pedals in addition to the amp. I could get a bad monkey but I don't want to be having to buy distortion and heavy metal pedals to get a decent tone. I would like the amp to be able to do something on its own. Would you not recommend this amp then if I play mostly heavy distorted stuff and don't want to be buying a ton of pedals?
Last edited by Batmax at Jul 6, 2010,
Quote by marshall_01

So to prove everyone's opinion that, on its own, the Blackstar doesn't have enough gain for modern metal....

you threw an overdrive in front of it to boost it....?

Quote by Batmax
I was thinking of buying the HT-5 but I don't want to go shell out more money on distortion pedals in addition to the amp. I could get a bad monkey but I don't want to be having to buy distortion and heavy metal pedals to get a decent tone. I would like the amp to be able to do something on its own. Would you not recommend this amp then if I play mostly heavy distorted stuff and don't want to be buying a ton of pedals?

Personally, if you don't want to buy a distortion pedal or a booster then i wouldn't recommend it. I'm really not fond of the built in overdrive channel, but I know other people that are. You can check out some youtube videos of it before you buy it.
Guitars:
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Chorus
EHX Small Stone Phaser
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
A Fender Super Champ XD will beat it @ $300. I own both. My HT-5 head is on CL now. I'd rather just use a Epi Vjr head with my pedalboard. The HT-5 is ok now that the price is coming down. But Vjr stacks are showing up on CL all the time for under $200.
Quote by redick4ulous

I would definitely add a 10 band eq and a better od pedal like a OD808 or fulltone OCD to your amp and it will sound so much better
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.