Hey bass forum,

I have a question about whether or not an Acoustic B100 would sound good for a lead guitarist in a band setting.

My band is switching our practice space from the rhythm guitarist's house to the drummer's. At the rhythm guitarist's house, I would use his dad's Fender Vibrolux, and now that we're going to the drummer's house, I am out of an amp (my 4 watt Vox obviously won't cut it).

I am also interested in learning bass, so I was wondering if a guitar can sound "good" thru a solid state bass amp. I always hear about guitarists using bass amps, but I'm assuming those are old Bassmans that probably have tubes.

This isn't necessarily a "what bass/amp" thread, but I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

My budget for both a bass and a bass amp (for guitar and bass) is around $550,
The nearest city to me is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and for guitar my band's genre is basically half clean Hendrixy (Little Wing, Bold as Love) and the other half is White Stripes/Black Keys blues punk. Probably the same for bass.

Thanks in advance, this is probably really hard to read
Quote by Echohead
You seem like quite the gentleman, I must say.

Quote by MetalGuitarest
not relaly jazz fusion.. let alone do i even know what jazz fusion is.. but learn sharp dressed man by zz top
Last edited by Leggett10 at Jul 2, 2010,
I'm a guitar player, and i'm thinking of getting an Orange Crush 50 bass combo for practices myself (my Fender Frontman 15G is slowly dying, and carrying my huge Laney halfstack for rehearsals every week isn't an option).

I just want to make a couple more tests (how it reacts to my effects pedals, etc.) before i actually buy it.

And later on, i can buy a cheap bass (maybe a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass) and start learning bass as well.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman

I just want to make a couple more tests (how it reacts to my effects pedals, etc.) before i actually buy it.

That's my main worry, because i'll have to get all of my distortion from pedals, which I'm not crazy about.
Quote by Echohead

Quote by MetalGuitarest
not relaly jazz fusion.. let alone do i even know what jazz fusion is.. but learn sharp dressed man by zz top
Last edited by Leggett10 at Jul 2, 2010,
So I'm assuming we're all in agreement that guitars through bass amps sound good (subjective, of course). My budget is probably up to $350, or maybe up to $550 if I sell my Epiphone G-400. I'm going to go to Guitar Center, but I would like some specific amps to look for. Also, I'm probably going to get Squier vintage modified jazz bass.
Quote by Echohead

Quote by MetalGuitarest
Good choice of a bass. It will serve you well. As for amps, I would steer clear of 15 inch speakers. Go for tens or twelves.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-Bass-Amp-Head-and-B410-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-Stack?sku=484900

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB210-2x10-500W-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=581053

I am currently on the search for a dual amp also. My choice is the Gallien mb212 combo.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I play both guitar and bass through a Fender Rumble 60 and it does me for metal and punk.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by c3powil
Good choice of a bass. It will serve you well. As for amps, I would steer clear of 15 inch speakers. Go for tens or twelves.

I'm assuming that if i use a 1x15, it would get really boomy. Also I'd prefer the amps to be combos, because I think they're easier to deal with. Keep em coming
Quote by Echohead

Quote by MetalGuitarest
while you can play a guitar through a bass amp some will say that you lose some highs.
honestly ive never noticed any loss of the higher ranges on a guitar.

playing a guitar through a bass amp, i have noticed it does sound warmer, and a bit smoother then a guitar amp.
the squier VM series is a damn good series of basses and may even be just a step below a fender MIM
of course this is all subjective.
I've tried it and Im not a big fan. Through my 15" I loose a lot of high end and the low end just seems too boomy for my tastes. Haven't tried it with any effects pedals since I don't have any...
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Leggett10
That's my main worry, because i'll have to get all of my distortion from pedals, which I'm not crazy about.

Just buy one of these and you'll be fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOt85xh3rk8
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C210T300-EVO-II-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485033

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B450-450W-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-?sku=484907

These are more combo amps that I THINK may sound good with a guitar, although Im a bit iffy about the ashdown (they seem to color the tone a lot). I would go with the gallien combo, though. It is very transparant, very light, and also has room for an extention cab so if you are playing guitar and you feel like the amp gould use some highs, you can connect a guitar cab to it.
What you must remember is that todays Bass amps are dedicated for bass via the pre amp stage.
In the past most bassists used guitar amps with cabs loaded with bass speakers examples being Marshall, Hiwatt, Sound City, Orange etc.
Even as far back as Rock'n'Rollers Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane who both used Fender Bassmans.
So yes it will work but not the same as yesteryear.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Which is why I suggest using a guitar preamp/pedal in the effects loop after the bass preamp.
Quote by c3powil
Which is why I suggest using a guitar preamp/pedal in the effects loop after the bass preamp.

that makes sense, but I don't see the purpose for me, seeing how the preamp would cost a little less than half my amp.

If I were to use a preamp, I'd have to cut my budget for the amp considerably. Would it be better to get around a $300 amp with a guitar preamp, or just a $500 amp. I'm leaning towards the first one, because I doubt I'll ever need 400+ watts in a guitar amp, and most of the amps in the $500 range are ment for gigging bassists, not guitarists.
Quote by Echohead

Quote by MetalGuitarest
Last edited by Leggett10 at Jul 3, 2010,
I sometimes play my Strat through my Acoustic B100 and I think it sounds alot more punchy, like a bass should. It's a really great mellow clean sound. Not too shimmery and whatnot. It's very transparent, almost to the point of being sterile.

It's not the greatest clean sound, but it sounds good if you can find a use for it.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I play my guitar through an Acoustic (new aged one, so it is solid state)
it sounds great, nice and deep
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
I play my guitar through an Acoustic (new aged one, so it is solid state)
it sounds great, nice and deep

I think Accoustic have have just about always been solid state, certainly in their 70s heydays they were SS.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn