i went into my guitar guy today looking to get some new pick ups in my tele copy. he recommended "tele hots" which he said were the best pick ups there is for a telecaster. i went with it and left. when i got home i started to do some research and found that while having a good" fat/chunky" distorted sound, the pick ups suck on clean.

does anyone know for sure if they do have a bad clean tone?
These days, its easier to get a good distorted tone then a good clean tone.

Personally, I would play to the strengths of the instrument. If you're looking for heavy lead tones, then perhaps a different guitar with humbuckers would be a better option.

Personally, if it were me, I would use some mild pickups in the Tele and let those pickups capture the little nuances that make that guitar so great.

Of course.........that's just my line of thinking.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
i'm not looking for heavy leads though. the heaviest i would like to get is blues rock stuff. i was just going off what the guy was telling me. i don't know much about pick ups my self so i asked him.

what type of mild pick ups would you recommend?
Honestly, if you're looking to change your tone.......pickups would be the LAST thing I would change.

First and foremost, I would try to get an amp that got me 90% of the tone I wanted.

Then add your pedals effects (sounds like you're going to need a mild overdrive to get the tones you want).

Finally add some EQs to fine tune and sculpt your tone. (an EQ will do FAR more for your tone then pickups will).

Then, and only then, would I look at pickups. New p-ups are just too darned expensive for such a minor change in tone.

Get happy with your amp and overdrive first. Trust me, you're tone will be so much better in the long run.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
i'm getting new pick ups out of necessity. the old ones crapped out. i am more than happy with my trusty fender frontman 65R.
Are you sure its the pickups?

I've NEVER heard of a pickup failing completely. In all cases it's the internal wireing that has gone bad (and is cheap to replace).

Remember, a pickup is basically just a magnet........
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by zachm07
i'm getting new pick ups out of necessity. the old ones crapped out. i am more than happy with my trusty fender frontman 65R.

Look for an amp that's made for a chunky tone, Frontmans can't really do distortion great.
the pick ups didn't completely go out. i took it in to get it looked at because there was serious buzzing and the repair guy said it was probably pick ups. i decided to get fender vintage tele pick ups though. they'll do better than the tele hots.
Quote by zachm07
the pick ups didn't completely go out. i took it in to get it looked at because there was serious buzzing and the repair guy said it was probably pick ups. i decided to get fender vintage tele pick ups though. they'll do better than the tele hots.

It's most likely the wiring and not the pickups then.
Quote by darkcheef
It's most likely the wiring and not the pickups then.

That "buzzing" is probably a $20 fix at any reputable store.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100