This isn't a versus thread.

Why do Fender and Gibson have such differences in price but yet the Strat and Les Paul are two of the most iconic guitars ever and are just as good as each other?
Material.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Materials, labour costs, costs of everything else in their companies, how far they choose to push their brand.
What? I expected a game of "The Price Is Right"...

There are too many Strat variations...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Because MIM Strats =/= Standard Les Paul.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

That's how much people are willing to pay for them. Don't you know anything about economics?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
^Pretty much all the above.

Different woods cost more, the factories are different, some may charge for brand name [*cough*Gibson*cough ], and the different models you buy [a low end Fender doesn't cost as much as a high end Gibson, and a low end Gibson can't compete with a high end Fender].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Because MIM Strats =/= Standard Les Paul.

Epiphone LP100 =/= Eric Johnson Strat

They both have fairly broad target demographics.
Because Strats are clearly superior to Les Pauls, I'm sorry but its just the truth.
Fender designed their guitars around the tools they had available. They were meant to be easy to manufacture without compromising functionality. That was their "thing".

Gibson, on the other hand, were always more conservative, and their goal was to create the finest possible high quality guitar. Some say that Gibson is the Rolls Royce compared to Fender's Volkswagen or Toyota.

Fenders use cheaper materials and are much more simple to build. Gibsons use more expensive materials and take advantage of their heritage to push up the prices, knowing people will buy their guitars no matter what.

[/biased opinion]
Quote by So-Cal
Because Strats are clearly superior to Les Pauls, I'm sorry but its just the truth.

It is true, I double checked.
Fender: Assembly Line
Gibson: Hand made.

The same reason Ferraris and Ford's both have very iconic cars, but ferraris cost way more than fords.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

The same reason Ferraris and Ford's both have very iconic cars, but ferraris cost way more than fords.

What about the master builder Fenders? Some brilliant luthiers making instruments for them.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
What about the master builder Fenders? Some brilliant luthiers making instruments for them.

you know what I mean. i'm generalizing based on the majority. gibson also uses assembly lines, but only for some just like fender handbuilds, but only some
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you know what I mean. i'm generalizing based on the majority. gibson also uses assembly lines, but only for some just like fender handbuilds, but only some

Fair enough.

Im a fender man myself tbh, i prefer the feel of them and the tone, but lespauls are definatley worth it on the used market TS.

Also when compared to Tokai/Burny/Edwards, it batters pretty much everyone on price yet has amazing quality, So teh name does obviously have a point in the pricing
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
In my often wrong opinion, fender do the best they can possibly do with a little budget and gibson do the littlest they can do with a high budget.

It evens itself out.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

That depends on what you call "Hand Made". A lot of Gibson guitars, probably most of them outside of the custom shop, are carved using CNC machines (as with any large guitar manufacturer)