Currently i own a Sunlite acoustic/electric a very cheap guitar cost about 200. It was the first guitar i bought and didn't know what to look for that was 3 years ago.

I'm looking for a guiatar that sounds bright by that i mean clean like the acoustic sound that is sometimes heard played by Rise Against or by the song Shadowplay and Wonderwall.

I want to spend around $500 and less and that's pushing it. i can go higher but don't want to. I will play this guitar for small audiences like friends, gf, or family members

I was wondering what guitars i should look into and what kind of strings i should acquire. I really like the design on the Taylor and sound. What motivates me to buy a new guitar is mostly the overall tone and look not features

I was thinking of a dreadnought guitar not jumbo sized; medium sized. But i would want to know your opinion on clean sounding guitars like what sound best
I live in the U.S. west coast so pretty much access to anything
RAWL
you're not going to find a guitar that sounds really clean and really good for $500. if you could, there'd be no reason for most people to spend more, and guitar companies would be losing money since the best sounding guitars are voiced by people actually doing stuff.

otp's yamaha suggestions are probably your best bet, but you might also want to try alvarez.

a dread, btw, is a large guitar, not medium sized. a lot of guitars that are clean and bright but not overbright are smaller than a dread.
^ what they said

And plus you should check out Seagull guitars. They sound great for the price and are even better than some Taylors that I've played.
^ What kind of custon Taylor does your friend have? I'm just curious, I always like to know what's out there especially when it comes to customs and "one-offs"
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
walden makes some really nice guitars in that range the only problem is that they are hard to find
Also check out the Epiphone Masterbilt series. Once you break them in, they're fantastic little contraptions for what you pay. Don't have that ugly as sin standard Epi acoustic/semi-hollow headstock either, which is a MAJOR plus
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
you can't get a new masterbilt for under $500, and if he could go a little over $500, i'd have recommended a blueridge br-140 or a guild GAD. failing that, under $500 the seagull original s6 or s6 slim are very nice - same guitar, just a wider neck on the original .
+1 on Masterbilts. I have a nice AJ-500M I got new for around $350 online (of course after playing and verifying the return policy). It's fanastic and has tons of sustain and boom. Also has bone saddle/nut appointment which is a nice little throw in.
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography
Taylor big baby. Mid size, about $500. I have one and love it.
“Any other day I’d say no, but today I’m gonna go ahead and just say no.”

-Dr. Cox
Quote by patticake
you can't get a new masterbilt for under $500, and if he could go a little over $500, i'd have recommended a blueridge br-140 or a guild GAD. failing that, under $500 the seagull original s6 or s6 slim are very nice - same guitar, just a wider neck on the original .

Price is not a problem.( I can go way higher but in process of buying other stuff) Its just playing the guitar is kinda a hobby. I don't plan on going pro. So seagulls are good
RAWL
Quote by Natrone
Also check out the Epiphone Masterbilt series. Once you break them in, they're fantastic little contraptions for what you pay. Don't have that ugly as sin standard Epi acoustic/semi-hollow headstock either, which is a MAJOR plus

ill look into it
RAWL
Quote by patticake
you're not going to find a guitar that sounds really clean and really good for $500. if you could, there'd be no reason for most people to spend more, and guitar companies would be losing money since the best sounding guitars are voiced by people actually doing stuff.

otp's yamaha suggestions are probably your best bet, but you might also want to try alvarez.

a dread, btw, is a large guitar, not medium sized. a lot of guitars that are clean and bright but not overbright are smaller than a dread.

I had a feeling the guy at guitar center knew little about what he was talking about.( I was going by what he said)

Should I really dig deeper and get the Taylor or is the guitar overated? Thanks btw
RAWL
Quote by obeythepenguin
You aren't going to find a Taylor in that price range, I'll tell you that much.

If you want a bright (trebly) sound, look at Takamine. If you aren't really sure what you're looking for, or need a bit more versatility, you can't go wrong with a Yamaha in any price range. Look at the FG730S or FGX720SCA for starters -- second one has electronics and a cutaway.

As far as strings, phosphor bronze tend to be brighter, while silk & steels are warm and mellow. I currently have Martin Clapton's Choice lights on mine, which are basically phosphor bronze .012's. I'd say focus on the guitar first, and decide what strings you like best from there.

Will do. I'll change my strings first and then see what happens. Thank you for your advice and opinion.* not like the people trying to sell me stuff At guitar center
RAWL
i prefer the seagull s6 and the yamaha fg730s to the taylor 110 or big baby, but that's my personal taste. all of these are sold at guitar centers, so hopefully you can compare.

if you want to try something out of your price range to compare them to, one of the cleaner sounding guitars around is the taylor gc8. at guitar centers, they're usually in the expensive room. play one, then go back to the other guitars and listen to see which stand up pretty well by comparison.
Quote by Crashton
I sold my taylor 310-ce on craigslist for 600. I'm sure you can find a similar taylor on craigslist for cheap.

That's it? Was it thrashed or something? That's actually quite a low selling price from my experience for a used 3xx.
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography