Hello my friends, i need an good combo amp for pop-punk and harcore/pop kinda sound (Paramore, Four Year Strong, A Day To Remember. My budget is around 650 dollars (or 5500 swedish kronor). Built in effects isnt nesscesary, if it could play heavier stuff its a big plus! Ive been looking at the bugera 333xl combo but its so god damn expensive here in sweden so i wont be buying that one!

And an other question, is the digitech whammy 4 any good?
I know I may get flamed relentlessly for this, but a 50W Peavey Valveking is worth a look. (It'll do Paramore fine, but it'll likely need a boost/OD for ADTR though). However, it'll definitely need a speaker swap later on down the road.

A Bugera 6262 would also work well for you. It has more than enough gain on tap and should do ADTR without any boosts. (It would also fit your budget perfectly here in the US, but I'm not sure about Sweden).

Edit: Will you be gigging or jamming with friends at all?
Also, is buying used an option for you?
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jul 2, 2010,
the 6260 isnt really an option for me, its in the same price range as the 333xl here about 850 dollars (thats ****ed up right?)

I will use the amp to play with my band, its a pretty small rehersal space and used isnt a great option because its not many amps in my pricerange, small country you know!
Last edited by elleild at Jul 2, 2010,
To be honest...you're gonna be hard pushed to find an amp that nails all of those tones. Now I don't know how gear prices convert for you over there, but I'm gonna throw out stuff that I would look at between 300-500 quid.

Marshall JCM200 DSL - I've got one and I love it for lower gain punkier stuff like FYS, Paramore NFG, SYG, etc. Unboosted the low end is far too loose for ADTR, with a boost it will tighten up, but it's never gonna be ideal for anything particularly high gain.

Marshall JCM800 - would also be a good idea...more suited to metal than the 2000 but I've not played one for a long time so I'm not 100% on how it'll handle the lower gain.

A dual recto would be a good one, but almost certainly out of your price range. I would also have a look at any Oranges you can afford, personally, I don't like them....but they're similarly voiced to Marshalls and a lot of people prefer them.

As for 5150/6505 and the Bugera counterparts...I wouldn't recommend them personally. They kick all sorts of ass for metal and would do ADTR well, but I wouldn't use one for Paramore. They're not especially good for lower gain sounds.

For the versatility you're after you might want to look at modellers too...maybe the vypyr tube or the valveking. Like the other guy said, you'll probably need a boost to get it to ADTR but I played one a while back and was pretty impressed.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Not sure if it's available in Sweden, but also look into a Randall RG50TC. Never played one myself, but it sounds pretty damn good in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcwqrWf0Js (Of course, we all know that demo videos do no one piece of gear full justice.)

Sounds pretty heavy to me, so it should be able to pull off ADTR without a boost. Plus, I think it's within your budget (here in the US it would be, but again, I'm not sure about Sweden). The tone range on it sounded fairly wide in that clip, so it should be easily able to do Paramore also.

Edit: I second the 60W Tube Vypyr. Get that and a Sanpera 2 footcontroller (provided your budget will allow it, you'll need it to make the most of the amp. Hence, controlling the onboard effects if you need them and also to switch between clean/dirty) and you can practically do any genre under the sun (yes, even the stuff you play).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jul 12, 2010,
Well, ive looked at the tube 60 and it seems pretty good. just one question, does the sanpera include a wah?
I'll second the Valve King 1x12. It's a little cheaper (around $400 new) which means you'll have money left over for a new speaker and an EQ pedal - both of which are necessary to really maximize the amp's potential. I have one and I love it, and with the right speaker it can get fairly brootal. There's also a huge modding community for it too.
Quote by britishsligean
have a look at the blackstar ht-40 or the marshall ma50

I would suggest staying away from the Marshall MA Series, horrible amps, and really not as cheap as they make them seem. With that said I wouldn't suggest a Peavey Vypyr or Valveking either. If you actually want a good tone stay away from these.

JCM 800 or 900 would probably be good.
And don't shoot down bugera just cause that one dude said to, they actually make pretty good amps for under/around $500 new. Orange might be a good company to look at as well.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
. With that said I wouldn't suggest a Peavey Vypyr or Valveking either. If you actually want a good tone stay away from these.

I don't know about the Vypyr, but you can get some pretty awesome tones out of the Valve King if you're willing to put a little work into it. Like the ~$5 dummy jack mod (it's on the VK wiki for anyone curious) which practically turbocharged my tone. Throw in a speaker swap and a decent EQ pedal and it's a monster.
well im sure lots of amps can sound decent if buttered up with tons of mods and pedals, i'd rather just get an amp that actually sounds good.... i mean with the money you pay for these amps i don't want to have to put more money into modding it just to make it sound decent.
Quote by handbanana
I would suggest staying away from the Marshall MA Series, horrible amps, and really not as cheap as they make them seem. With that said I wouldn't suggest a Peavey Vypyr or Valveking either. If you actually want a good tone stay away from these.

JCM 800 or 900 would probably be good.
And don't shoot down bugera just cause that one dude said to, they actually make pretty good amps for under/around $500 new. Orange might be a good company to look at as well.

I just want to clarify what I said just in case people are getting the wrong end of the stick...

I think the Bugera amps are fantastic, I've only really spent any substantial time with the 6260 and 6262 though. And those sound amazing for metal etc. but imo, if you're looking for things to play Paramore on you can do a lot better.

For TS's price range he's not gonna get something that excels at that variety of tones...so he either should go for a good modeller that will do them all decently, or something that excels at one and not the other. I recommended against the 6260 because TS seemed to be looking for more of the lower gain punk sound, which (again imo) is not as well suited to that sound as others in that price range. However, if TS is going to be playing mainly metal then I would recommend the 6262 in a heartbeat..it'll slay anything else in the pricerange for metal and you could probably get a passable lower gain tone from the clean channel, but it won't be a good one.

Although by all means go out and make your own decision...the JSX could be a good bet if you can find it used in your range.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

One of the guitarists from Paramore uses a marshal jcm 2000
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
JCM 800> JCM 900 > JCM 2000

just saying, the 2000 is pretty overrated if you ask me
I don't know if the 2000 is overrated or not...

I picked mine up used for a bargain price (£300) and at that price it can't be touched. To be honest, like I said above, I love it for punk, but as soon as you go past there I would not recommend it.

Paramore, NFG, SYG, FYS, etc. it sounds really nice, but you can't go past there in terms of gain or it'll sound really loose and flabby...and in my experience (only with a bad monkey, bear in mind) boosting it tightens everything up, but makes it so fizzy it's useless.

Oh, and Riot and Brand New Eyes were both recorded (mainly) with the JCM2000 DSL100, with a couple of different Marshalls for leads and other rhythms here and there....maybe an Orange or two as well.

Like I've been saying before, it really depends on what sound TS values the most...

300 euros is a pretty good price, if I could find any kind of JCM or 5150 for under $400 i'd probably buy it right now