Page 1 of 2
Couldn't find a thread about this so I'm posting it here.

It would seem that the next installment of the Rock Band franchise is going to include an actual Squier Stratocaster as its controller. IE, you could play the guitar on your console and then go plug it into an amp and jam.

I feel very...strange about this...for two reasons.

1. On one hand, I think that this is great. Rap, Hip Hop, etc is taking over the younger generation. Most of it took 3 seconds to write and took even less time to develop a beat for. It's tasteless and is usually demeaning to women, racist, and promotes more violence than 90% of metal.

Getting more kids into guitar oriented music is great.

2. On the other hand, It seems kind of unfair to other guitarists. Here I was, spending hours a day learning how to play a song reading tabs. Every song on Rock Band 3 has a tutorial of how to play it, with detailed visual explanations and music theory incorporated into it.

In short, now EVERYBODY will know how to play guitar. People spent hours and hours playing Guitar Hero 1-5 and Rock band 1-2. They will do the same for Rock Band 3. It's not inconceivable that the guitarist population will increase substantially, possibly double.

What do you guys think about this?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Tom 1.0
old news mate
Ok. There was no thread about it, and nobody was talking about it, and I wanted to gather some opinions on it. Thanks.
This may be old news to you, it isn't to everyone.

(edited for the sake of niceness)
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
Ok. There was no thread about it, and nobody was talking about it, and I wanted to gather some opinions on it. Shut up? Thanks.
This may be old news to you, it isn't to everyone.

That was kind of harsh wasn't it?
Well,it doesn't really matter.Having more people exposed to guitar is actually quite great.
No matter what guitar hero includes,we,or at least the majority of people here,actually take our music seriously and train ourselves constantly so,competition-wise,people with GH tutorials can't do much.
Quote by Ayses

In short, now EVERYBODY will know how to play guitar. People spent hours and hours playing Guitar Hero 1-5 and Rock band 1-2. They will do the same for Rock Band 3. It's not inconceivable that the guitarist population will increase substantially, possibly double.

Not everybody will play RB3. Not everybody is willing to buy the most likely over 200$$ guitar controller. Many people will still play the game with the old 5 button controller.
Quote by Tarsplitter
Not everybody will play RB3. Not everybody is willing to buy the most likely over 200$$ guitar controller. Many people will still play the game with the old 5 button controller.

Word.
Quote by Ayses

2. On the other hand, It seems kind of unfair to other guitarists. Here I was, spending hours a day learning how to play a song reading tabs. Every song on Rock Band 3 has a tutorial of how to play it, with detailed visual explanations and music theory incorporated into it.

Regarding that argument.There are tons of tutorials in youtube alone.Also there are,brace yourself,tutorials on how to play songs with detailed visual explanations and music theory incorporated into them that you can actually buy.So a videogame about playing guitar,which people will also buy,decided to chime in and toss a couple of lessons,big deal.
^yeah I agree mostly. The thing is, people only look at Youtube videos and stuff if they own a guitar and are serious about it.

People who haven't ever played guitar before will suddenly have a guitar in their hands simply because it says Rock Band 3 on it. And they'll have all the "detailed visual explanations" and stuff.

And I think that's great. it's also just very...different and new. And strange. Which is why I have mixed feeling about it.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Personally I wish I had a video game that would walk me through all of the songs I wanted to learn gradually. Would make it fun and would probably learn it faster. A 30 minute practice session would turn into an addictive 3 hour session or however long your hands permit.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Who gives a shit? Really? There are three games coming out with this technology for guitar/bass, a couple are increasing the realism of their drum peripherals, one of 'ems getting keyboards added... and nobody cares. You don't see dance instructors bitching about Just Dance being top of the UK sales charts for weeks on end.

Also, welcome to two weeks ago. Actually, seven weeks ago in some respects.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Who gives a shit? Really? There are three games coming out with this technology for guitar/bass, a couple are increasing the realism of their drum peripherals, one of 'ems getting keyboards added... and nobody cares. You don't see dance instructors bitching about Just Dance being top of the UK sales charts for weeks on end.

All I retained from that was "shit", "bitch", and "peripherals"
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
this feels like a pit thread to me.

to be honest, no one here cares about guitar band, beyond
getting stoned and playing a game.

reported*
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by MrFlibble

Sorry to burst your bubble here, Flibble, but the guitar controller with strings was mostly made popular after E3.... It was the first time I had ever heard anything about it and I get GameInformer magazine monthly.

So about 3 weeks ago.

But to add into the thread:

I personally think RockBand and Guitar Hero are stupid. I use to play Guitar Hero like mad with my brother. But after a few months, it just gets boring. Then after that I got an actual guitar.

But not everyone will by the controller or RockBand 3. So... it doesn't really affect me. I'd rather continue spending $20 a week on hands-on private guitar lessons. Much more efficient and effective.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Sorry to burst your bubble here, Flibble, but the guitar controller with strings was mostly made popular after E3.... It was the first time I had ever heard anything about it and I get GameInformer magazine monthly.

So about 3 weeks ago.
And that is exactly why magazines died off years ago and blogs have taken over.

Set your homepage to Wire.vg, job done.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There's a difference between a gamer and a guitarist.

guitarist will sit down and learn his instrument to perfection
gamers want to play games

they won't have the same dedication most od.

but i'm sure this will inspire many to actually play and that's good
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
What do I think?

We all had/have a reason why were/are drawn into guitar. For me , it was because I was socially awkward, a introvert that needed a outlet to what was burning inside. In my younger years the "cool factor" was the guy with long hair in a band who got attention and that in part led me to it...I guess.

What started as that led to a obsession , not to just be "cool" but the great feeling of when you are happy with what you learned, came up with, and pass your own seal of approval. The life long process of getting better and goal reaching with it.

So if a video game is the mechanism for someone finding a life passion, well cool. The fact is those in the end with it in their mind and soul will continue, the rest will move on. And, for me I am glad to see the game may make a younger generation know about some songs they might never of heard otherwise. Yeah, and anything to fight back against rap.
Quote by diofan88
There's a difference between a gamer and a guitarist.

guitarist will sit down and learn his instrument to perfection
gamers want to play games

they won't have the same dedication most od.
I'm actually the other way around. I'm lazy when it comes to guitar, I just like collecting 'em and trying new ones out. I pick mine up, play something basic, think to myself "okay, that was fun" then put it down and not give it a second thought. On the other hand with games I'll not stop playing until I've beaten every last optional boss or whatever, in the case of fighting games I get to the point where I'm frame-counting, I'll spend hours tweaking a car in a racing game, etc etc. Yes, I can do Through The Fire & Flames on Expert. I can dedicate seven hours a day for every day of the week for three months solid to one game but I really struggle to convince myself to play guitar for any more than about fifteen minutes a day on average.

But then, that's why I'm pursuing a career in video game journalism while I'm more than happy to leave guitar as my casual hobby.
Quote by MrFlibble
And that is exactly why magazines died off years ago and blogs have taken over.

Set your homepage to Wire.vg, job done.

Magazines > rubbish Internet blogs.

I don't have the time to sit and read blogs all day long about stuff. Magazines are easier to flip through and find out if they're is anything interesting. Live E3 coverage is even easier.

I prefer Musician's Friend catalog over the website, as well.
That's why you use Wire, then you don't have to deal with ''rubbish'' blogs. Get all the headlines, filter the sites you know are shite.

Also, watching E3 for yourself > any coverage.

I hated blogs at first too, I lvoed my few magazines and I already had contacts in place with some here, was goign to do an internship with one until the internet happened and the magazines all died off. But I got over that, gave the blogs a chance and so long as you stick to the good ones, they really are superior than magazines.
I see what the topic poster is saying about how one may view it as unfair but its a good thing that people will actually benefit from playing a music video game. Also, as many people say, if someone is willing to spend the 200 dollars for the guitar and actually stay committed enough to not give up and go back to the old controller guitars, then sure, let them learn how to play, they obviously have the desire to if they dont revert to the old controllers.
Quote by jj1565
this feels like a pit thread to me.

to be honest, no one here cares about guitar band, beyond
getting stoned and playing a game.

reported*
Please leave these forums. Nobody likes people like you.

HURDURR REPORTED HURDURR I'M A RETARD!!!!!!111oneeleven!!!!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Actually, everyone likes Jenny. :/
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Ayses

stop acting like a butthurt 12 year old.
Quote by Ayses

Dude you're a prick. If anyone should leave the forums it's you.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'm actually the other way around. I'm lazy when it comes to guitar, I just like collecting 'em and trying new ones out. I pick mine up, play something basic, think to myself "okay, that was fun" then put it down and not give it a second thought. On the other hand with games I'll not stop playing until I've beaten every last optional boss or whatever, in the case of fighting games I get to the point where I'm frame-counting, I'll spend hours tweaking a car in a racing game, etc etc. Yes, I can do Through The Fire & Flames on Expert. I can dedicate seven hours a day for every day of the week for three months solid to one game but I really struggle to convince myself to play guitar for any more than about fifteen minutes a day on average.

But then, that's why I'm pursuing a career in video game journalism while I'm more than happy to leave guitar as my casual hobby.

I am like exactly like you haha. Forza 3 and Street Fighter 4 by any chance?

Oh well back on topic. I think this is pretty awesome. Whether or not people want to learn the guitar, how many kids are gonna want this because it's a real freakin' guitar lol. Heck I wanna buy it and I play guitar, just cuz I think it's awesome lol
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Dude you're a prick. If anyone should leave the forums it's you.
How am I the prick? I make a perfectly fine thread and this jackass comes out of nowhere with "REPORTED"

It's just dumb.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Ayses
How am I the prick? I make a perfectly fine thread and this jackass comes out of nowhere with "REPORTED"

It's just dumb.

stop name calling, you sound like a child throwing a tantrum.

i reported to move the thread, because this, imo is not an electric guitar thread.

when guitar hero became popular, we were inundated with dozens of these threads weekly, and if you are sensing that people are upset in your thread, that's the reason why.

Jof let it stay, but if you have brain 1 , you'll count yourself ahead of the game, shut your mouth, and focus on whatever point you were trying to make.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'd also like to come in and just say this:
Piss off with all the rap hate, alright? Grouping all rap under the typical amoral groupings is like saying all metal is Satanist.
Is this demeaning to women? Or promoting violence? Or Racist?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMzfqq0I5oQ
Or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiksNkqJpBA
Or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaonSDPw7Y
Rap is music, just like any metal or rock is. It takes just as long to write a rap song as it does to write a rock song. The lyrics are in general much more complex, clever, and meaningful than a good portion of rock/metal.
And God forbid that the youth of the next generation listen to music that you hate! That's how jazz got popular, with the youth. It's how rock, metal, punk, pop, and techno all got popular.

But on the main topic, I don't think we are to judge what is deemed appropriate distribution of instruments. It's quite elitist and arrogant to assume that a kid playing video-games isn't 'punk' or 'rock' or 'metal' enough to play guitar. Just suck it up and play it yourself, instead of complaining about others.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
In short, now EVERYBODY will know how to play guitar.

But we're gonna be better. I've heard a LOT of people say "yeah, I've been playing guitar". What they mean by that is they learned a couple chords and maybe a song or two. At any rate, i doubt most people will be able to reach (my) skill level without going through the same amount of practice and learning that I did.

Piss off with all the rap hate, alright? Grouping all rap under the typical amoral groupings is like saying all metal is Satanist.

Seconded. If rap was really that easy to write, why are there only a handful of successful rappers? Saying rap is just a simple beat and stupid lyrics is like saying that metal is just a bunch of banging and screaming "noise" on a guitar.
It's a game. It may be developing into an extremely realistic game, but its still a game. If it exposes more people to the joys of making music, great. Some people think its fun, some don't. Those who don't are not required to play it, and shouldn't feel threatened by it. It's not like Rockband is hurting anyone or damaging anything.

If people want to be able to master the most difficult settings, they'll have to practice just as much as anyone learning off youtube videos, or off of books, taking lessons, etc. Putting it in a video game is simply another method (and a popular one) of conveying the same information.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Most people who end up getting it, will be like LOL I'LL LEARN REAL GUITAR

then relise real guitar takes alot of work and practice and they'll give up

Those who know it will take time and practice will generally seek out tabs and other things and become decent players.
Quote by cjmabry
I am like exactly like you haha. Forza 3 and Street Fighter 4 by any chance?
Sort of. Forza 3 definitely, but only until either Gran Turismo 5 finally comes out or they hurry up and make a proper Burnout game again. I'm currently rocking Super Street Fighter 4 but eh, I'm not so thrilled with it, I love pure 2D fighters and pure 3D fighters; this odd mix of 3D model interaction but on a 2D plane isn't really doing much for me. Plus both SF4 and SSF4 have been so horribly unbalanced. It's kind of sad that Dead Or Alive 4 is still the best balanced and tightest fighting game on either the 360 or the PS3 and that came out what, over four years ago now? They need to hurry up and make another, proper Guilty Gear sequel. Or hell, I'd even take Killer Instinct 3. Anything to save us from the long run of utterly mediocre fighters we've had over the last few years.

Quote by Ayses

Quote by Ayses

It's just dumb.
You need to lurk more, for lack of a better term. Do not make presumptions or assumptions on what or who is or isn't acceptable here.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 3, 2010,
i feiil that it is a good idea...instad of people playing a plastic controller they can play a realy guitar

but i dont think its going to pe popular since guitars are hard to play...especially guitars with higher action such as beginner squiers (even though i have one and i love it and the action is very good).

remember how hard it was when we all picked up the guitar...a couple of hours and our fingers hurt. the average person might not want that and would see it as a waste
Quote by Ayses

It would seem that the next installment of the Rock Band franchise is going to include an actual Squier Stratocaster as its controller. IE, you could play the guitar on your console and then go plug it into an amp and jam.

1. On one hand, I think that this is great. Rap, Hip Hop, etc is taking over the younger generation. Most of it took 3 seconds to write and took even less time to develop a beat for. It's tasteless and is usually demeaning to women, racist, and promotes more violence than 90% of metal.

Getting more kids into guitar oriented music is great.

I think you're a whiny crybaby.

Quote by MrFlibble

18 months ago actually

This technology's been floating around for ages, I'm a bit surprised it's taken this long for someone to finally get it working properly.

http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising-for-real-guitar-heroes
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Ayses
EVERYBODY will know how to play guitar. People spent hours and hours playing Guitar Hero 1-5 and Rock band 1-2. They will do the same for Rock Band 3. It's not inconceivable that the guitarist population will increase substantially, possibly double.
This shouldn't be a negative, this is fucking fantastic. Perhaps if you're insecure and define yourself by your guitar playing because it makes you unique and edgy, you may be stuck buying a motorcycle, but just think of the potential gains to the industry- as companies make more money we could see wider new lines from our old favorites, new guitar makers, maybe even better prices as manufacturers compete eachother down. I'd be thrilled if the guitar-playing population doubled and suddenly we were swimming in affordable custom-shops. Hell, maybe GIRLS will start playing, and I can meet that snarky death metal girl I've always pined for. Hell, maybe we'll see a complete metal revival, until black metal replaces pop and the world looks like Brutal Legend. Fingers crossed...
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Ayses

1. On one hand, I think that this is great. Rap, Hip Hop, etc is taking over the younger generation. Most of it took 3 seconds to write and took even less time to develop a beat for.

I already concluded that you're a dick who shouldn't be allowed an opinion when i read to this part.

Cry me a river you closed minded self righteous bell end.
Page 1 of 2