hi i like to play metal like thrash, but i don't know where to start in theory. im an absolute beginner when it comes to theory.where do i start?major scale,modes? could somebody point me in the right direction for metal. and this is not counting ug's lesson based. ty
Bobby
Quote by Bobby2001
is there one specific for metal?
Bobby

Metal theory isn't that different from classical theory, believe it or not.
Quote by Bobby2001
is there one specific for metal?
Bobby

That is for metal...

Cause, well, metal is music isn't it?

There is a site that someone posted here that had theory specifically for metal, but I don't remember where it is.
Start learning chords (open and barre chords) and the names and positions of them.

If you want them to be "metal" just add distortion
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
but what direction do i go like do i stick with harmonic minors for metal or learn the modes, of the major scale, what direction should i go. ty
Bobby
p.s im a experienced guitarist 6 years
Last edited by Bobby2001 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Bobby2001
but what direction do i go like do i stick with harmonic minors for metal or learn the modes, of the major scale, what direction should i go. ty
Bobby

Start at lesson one of the website given to you... and go from there. Just adjust it to fit your playing.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
That is for metal...

Cause, well, metal is music isn't it?

There is a site that someone posted here that had theory specifically for metal, but I don't remember where it is.

Tritones, phrygian scales, harmonic minor, diminished 7 arpeggios, done.
thnaks all, while im here what scales are used in hangar 18. i know marty likes to arpeggio the chord hes playing over but what scale, is in that song ty.
Bobby