Today I bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (which is a lovely guitar) but soon after getting home, 2 of the strings broke shortly after, so I changed them. Anyways, about 40 or so frustrating minutes later, I finally got the guitar back in tune. One thing I noticed was that the D string out of all strings sounded muffled and quiet, but still audible. It wasn't too big of a deal but compared to the D string every other string seemed to just jump out at you in sound. Also, the pickup selector doesn't work outside of the most outward position, any time I change it it just cuts out all sound altogether.

I tried changing the battery which just yielded the same results, so my topic title is the question I'm wondering. This was also the on-display model of the Hellraiser at Guitar Center, I believe, so obviously it has been used a decent amount, I'm sure. I like everything else about it but the muffled string and pickup selector/pickups are giving me trouble. Thanks for any answers in advance.
it's most likely dirt in the switch.

spray can compressed air into the switch while flicking it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^YOU're a mess! out of ordeR??? This whole courTROom is out...

oh nevermind.

yeah, also, you should take it back if the switch is already cutting out.

my schecter same thing, happened . the air thing worked. but you're allso cutting strings,,, so.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Take that back. Sounds like a mess.

I probably will, but it worked fine in the store when I played it for around 20 minutes or so.
yeah dirt in the switch can do that.

if he sprays it for you and it works, then it'll probably be fine.

but make sure there arent any sharp edges on the saddles, causing strings to break.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah dirt in the switch can do that.

if he sprays it for you and it works, then it'll probably be fine.

but make sure there arent any sharp edges on the saddles, causing strings to break.

The strings broke up around the tuning peg, so I'm pretty sure it was just wear from being used in the store.

And the air thing might fix it, but that doesn't explain why my D-string sounds so muffled on a clean channel, even after I re-strung the guitar.

Also, I forgot to note that outside of my amp my strings all sound equal in volume and throwing on my distortion, the D string sounds "normal" as well. But just plugged into the amp with nothing except the amp and guitar, the D string is quieter than the others.
you probably messed up the bridge on your restring. do the strings sound muffled unplugged? most likely the strings are too close to the bridge and not having enuf room to bounce around and stuff.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
you probably messed up the bridge on your restring. do the strings sound muffled unplugged? most likely the strings are too close to the bridge and not having enuf room to bounce around and stuff.

Nope, see my last post. Everything sounds fine unplugged and with distortion. Otherwise, the D string sounds quiet in comparison to the other strings.
Hm, I guess nobody is really sure then. I'm only asking in case the problem arises again or if there's some sort of quick fix I don't know about.
How are your tone knobs on the guitar. I'm sure you tried them but just in case :p

And if it sounds fine with distortion, maybe it's the amp? Try a different amp, or play around with the EQ different from distorted.

And is it better or worse with both pickups or neck or bridge?
Quote by cjmabry
How are your tone knobs on the guitar. I'm sure you tried them but just in case :p

And if it sounds fine with distortion, maybe it's the amp? Try a different amp, or play around with the EQ different from distorted.

And is it better or worse with both pickups or neck or bridge?

1. Tone knobs work fine, but pulling them out for the single coils doesn't work on two of them.

2. Nah, I actually took a Laguna back earlier today for a refund to put towards said Schecter in my post. The Laguna worked really well (besides sounding eh and going out of tune, obviously) with the amp and distortion so that's not the problem.

3. I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm a newbie to Active Pickups on guitars with the selector, but I do know that one of the pickup combinations work, and the other 2 don't (like I mentioned before, if I leave the switch pointing towards the floor, it works, but the other 2 positions just drop the sound altogether). I think it's a pickup issue, but I wasn't entirely sure. Either way I'll be taking it back up to Guitar Center hopefully tomorrow and getting a Hellraiser that hasn't been used by the general public, they're bound to have some in the back of the store.
Quote by BassicDragon33
1. Tone knobs work fine, but pulling them out for the single coils doesn't work on two of them.

2. Nah, I actually took a Laguna back earlier today for a refund to put towards said Schecter in my post. The Laguna worked really well (besides sounding eh and going out of tune, obviously) with the amp and distortion so that's not the problem.

3. I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm a newbie to Active Pickups on guitars with the selector, but I do know that one of the pickup combinations work, and the other 2 don't (like I mentioned before, if I leave the switch pointing towards the floor, it works, but the other 2 positions just drop the sound altogether). I think it's a pickup issue, but I wasn't entirely sure. Either way I'll be taking it back up to Guitar Center hopefully tomorrow and getting a Hellraiser that hasn't been used by the general public, they're bound to have some in the back of the store.

Sounds like it's one of the pickups that is bad. If it's pointed to the floor that means you have just one of the pickups selected if I'm correct, which would explain why it sounds good on one but not the other. One is bad and the others not.

Anyways take it back. Hope you get a good one! And remember to post some pics and clips :P

HNGD anyways! haha
Quote by cjmabry
Sounds like it's one of the pickups that is bad. If it's pointed to the floor that means you have just one of the pickups selected if I'm correct, which would explain why it sounds good on one but not the other. One is bad and the others not.

Anyways take it back. Hope you get a good one! And remember to post some pics and clips :P

HNGD anyways! haha

Thanks for the pickups information, because I honestly didn't know exactly what each position meant, yet.

That sounds right though, it would possibly explain the whole "D string being quiet" deal. Appreciate it though, helpful information even if it's just a little snippet.

Also thanks, haha. It's always great getting a new guitar, as long as it works :P
i'm telling you its almost NEVER a defunct pickup.

i know it's an active set, so there are more wiring concerns, But

like said, 1 string, might mean the action is too low on that string after the restring.

if you're getting in and out full volumes and cut outs, the output jack seems solid and
your cable is good and flicking the switch makes a difference, then cleaning the switch is the first thing to try.

and as for those strings? you can get a burr at your tuners too.

imo, unless you play like mad, those strings shouldnt have popped.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62