I haven't plugged my amp in for ages. Am i not getting the most out of my practice sessions by not using it?

And if i did use it, is it best to practice (scales,modes etc) with or without Distortion or effects?

Also if you want to recommend any amps (combo, heads whatever) for 600USD or less that would be cool, because mine blows and thats the budget I'm on.
I play a lot of Melodic Death Metal.

In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Bodom, Kalmah etc.

Also some more straightforward stuff like Akercocke, Nile, Death, Behemoth etc.

so keep that in mind if you recommend an amp
Last edited by ErikV at Jul 2, 2010,
here's the thing, since you like to play death metal i would say it is absolutely essential considering your probably sweeping and tapping, without an amp on you won't be able to tell if your playing the runs clean. And that goes for the technique in general, it's hard to play clean if you can't hear your mistakes... so I definately suggest playing an amp on, especially Metal come on dude it's Metal balls to the walls! if there is a noise issue, for ex. i live in an apartment building, get some headphones. Oh and you definately want an amp for those artificial harmoncis!
As for practicing with or without distortion and effects, you should do both.
practice with your amp on clean, after you get pretty good start practicing in both clean and distortion channels.
oh and everything i said in regards to playing clean etc. has to do with playing with distortion on.
Quote by TisPyon
practice with your amp on clean, after you get pretty good start practicing in both clean and distortion channels.

What a waste of time. Just play it the way it's meant to. Things will sound different clean than distorted, and chances are something that sounds good when playing clean might sound ass with a distorted tone (not muting correctly, this is hard to notice on clean while it's absolutely devastating with distortion). That's rhythm though, as for leads and solos, I guess it won't make that big a difference if you get an amp with good distortion (no MG solid state wank).
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 2, 2010,
I'd definitely recommend playing with an amp (and distortion), metal requires you to have good muting techniques and those just aren't going to develop if you never play with distortion. However, it is good to practise unplugged too, it helps develop accenting and consistency (e.g. not getting any crappy quiet pick strokes in there).
As for an amp, that really depends on what you want to do with it, are you just looking for a practise amp? Do you want to do gigs with it? If it's just a practise amp you're after I'd recommend a modelling amp, probably a Peavey Vypyr. If you're looking at gigging or if noise isn't an issue, then there's a lot to choose from but I can definitely say you want tubes! I play similar stuff to you and I was looking at the Bugera 333 (or the 6260) as fairly cheap amps that sound good but remember, try before you buy!
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I think you can get a used Peavey 6505 combo at that price.... If not, try a B-52 AT 112, or if you want effects, maybe a Peavey Vypyr
EDIT:
I was right.
Here you go
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Last edited by simpleben09 at Jul 2, 2010,
Wow, i didn't think i would get that many responses haha

thanks for all your answers...guess i'll be lookin for a new amp..

Thank you for the 6505 suggestion. I'm looking into it.

I've heard good things about Marshall too, minus the MG series, which is supposedly shit. Any Marshall players out there?
Last edited by ErikV at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by ErikV
I haven't plugged my amp in for ages. Am i not getting the most out of my practice sessions by not using it?

And if i did use it, is it best to practice (scales,modes etc) with or without Distortion or effects?

Also if you want to recommend any amps (combo, heads whatever) for 600USD or less that would be cool, because mine blows and thats the budget I'm on.

You are not practicing at all if you are not plugged in, you are just wasting your time. You will sound really shit when you plug into a decent valve amp, I can guarantee that.

Blackstar mini stack would be my recommendation, considering music you like. Most definitely do not get one of these cheap modelling amps (that includes Peavey Vypyr and Line 6 Spiders), your articulation will suffer in long term, these amps are totally unresponsive and tend to mask a lot of mistakes, that's why beginners use them. Get a proper valve amp and start practicing for real.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by mdeeRocks
Get a proper valve amp and start practicing for real.

Will do.
Playing with an amp is preferred since you're into death metal, and practice with the tone that you're going to use. Practice the clean parts on a clean setting, and the distorted parts on a distorted settings, that way you'd practicing on getting them to sound good in the right context. If you're practicing scales or modes just for the sake of learning their positions on the fretboard, then it doesn't matter what channel you use.