is there such a pedal that like "tightens" up distortion or like reduces the muddyness of my distortion?
That would be a tubescreamer, definitely.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Noise gate, OD, Comp I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting, the noise gate removes the noise obviously, an OD tightens your amp up and the comp... Does something in between I believe. try em
Last edited by Ascendant at Jul 2, 2010,
You could use an overdrive or distortion pedal that sounds tighter and run a clean channel on your amp or, depending on your amp, using an overdrive pedal to boost the signal and turning down the gain on your amp may be a better option.
What are your amp's eq settings and what are the settings for your distortion? What distortion pedal are you using? Alot of things can make it sound muddy...lets start there first...

Making it tighter...I use a comp and a gate. The comp will help make up for the gate's fast cut off.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
also an EQ pedal can do this... If you put it in ur effects loop you can really shape the sound of your distortion.
The boost infront of the amp will increase tightness too.
Compressor just adds more noise (you wont need it, once u've boosted the signal anyway)

So if you want total control of ur sound, boost infront... EQ in loop

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by mr7string
get a noise gate and thurn the threshold really high

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8hBHok2xI

the first guy in this has a really tight sound, just listen out for when he talks about his noise gate!

Those guys have a sick setup, but i wouldn't want a compressor in my chain, kills all dynamics.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
also an EQ pedal can do this... If you put it in ur effects loop you can really shape the sound of your distortion.
The boost infront of the amp will increase tightness too.
Compressor just adds more noise (you wont need it, once u've boosted the signal anyway)

So if you want total control of ur sound, boost infront... EQ in loop

Toodles!

The noise gate will cancel most of the noise from a comp. I have two NS-2s and a couple of ebtech hum eliminators in my rig...it is the quietest I think I can get it and took me awhile to put together. I keep the sensitivity pretty low on my comp, I only wanted it to add a little more sustain to my rig. Its pretty good keeping most of the dynamics where I have it.

Good idea though...I completely forgot about using an EQ pedal and boost...
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by Ranelbau
is there such a pedal that like "tightens" up distortion or like reduces the muddyness of my distortion?

Try an EQ pedal in front of the amp. Nice clean boost, less noise than an OD pedal, and much more shapeable. I run my EQ with the volume up at around 7 with a SLIGHT bass boost, and a more significant mid boost.

As for gates, I run an ISP Decimator in the front, and a Rocktron Hush Super C in the loop.
Silent when I want it silent, and lets notes on the clean channel ring out.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Jul 3, 2010,
Yeah comps and gates sound like your best bet. I use the compressor from my prophesy and the gate from my prophesy in front and a rocktron hush ultra in the loop of my amp. I get very tight rhythm sound now and the sound cuts off instantly when I stop playing. You can also use a compressor as a boost instead of using an OD.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works