ok so i hav been playing with my distortion pedal for over an hour. oter than determining that it sounds better on my solid state spyder than it does with my tube amp (bugera v22), i have found something else.

the amp is a vintage voiced amp, so not meant for high gain. when i click on the pedal, turn the level up, an start turning up the gain, the amp start to should AWEFUL. almost like its struggling. it seems like at some point the gain/disortion is getting so high the amp is choking out. it sounds like i am literally killing my amp.

what is happening? am i overloading my tubes? too much for them to handle? they are the stock bugera el84s. there are 2 of em, and 3 12ax7s.

also, the pedal with the clean sound sound a ton different than the pedal on the dirty sound.

and my last question is: if i were to replacde my tubes with say EH. they offer soft, medium and hard. if i were to gt hard tubes, could i drive them harder and get more gain out of my amp? whereas softer ones would break up and sound like choking death?
It's called tube clipping, the tubes in your preamp are clipping too much cause of all the excess gain, basically driving them too hard.

Get some JJ's, they are designed to handle a lot of gain, the VK guys love em, since the VK is geared more towards classic rock and rock, and these guys(including myself) play some decent sounding metal on them.
cool. yeah i heard JJ's are nice. well what about my EH tube question. would getting a HARD tubr allow more gain, and a SOFT tube would clip even harder?
EH are just Sovteks which is what you probably already have in there, for what you are describing I'd go JJ. A hard tube will clip later, ie a soft valve will clip with less effort.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah i know. but in terms of driving tubes hard, does hard and soft mean that hard can handle more gain without souding like death?

like will a soft tube choke death at a gain of 6 whereas ahard one will go like 8-9 or somthing?
Not really no, it just means that it will start to distort with less signal applied. Hard and soft refers to the vacuum ie. a hard tube has a hard vaccuum - more thoroughly evacuated. A hard valve is actually a better manufactured tube. It should last longer and take more abuse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
try turning the gain and eq settings down and just using your pedal as your eq

also what kind of distortion pedal is it? Different pedals seem to work better with different amps. I would suggest trying something not too br00tal sounding, like a digitech Bad Monkey or a Tube Screamer as opposed to say a metal zone or metal muff. I don't like boss overdrives too much, but I think the OD-3 would actually be perfect for the v22, it along with the bad monkey has more of a natural gain more than overloading super gain
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 3, 2010,
there shouldn't be any reason why your amp should immediately start sounding awful. I've run like 12 pedals into a hot rod deluxe and if i turn everything up it will sound bad but not immediately. you're preamp tubes can take a lot of signal.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
there shouldn't be any reason why your amp should immediately start sounding awful. I've run like 12 pedals into a hot rod deluxe and if i turn everything up it will sound bad but not immediately. you're preamp tubes can take a lot of signal.

Yeah, but most of the lower quality tube amps come shipped with shitty tubes, like they're already almost used up and they just throw them on there. Ask any Valveking owner, most of us replaced the tubes within a year, and they come shipped with JJ's and EH's.

Soft tube will start to clip and distort sooner, a hard tube will take much longer to clip and distort, meaning it can handle more abuse and gain, also it will last longer. Get soft tubes if you want quicker breakup, for say you want tube saturation at low volume levels, then soft is for you, if you want a shit tone of gain with a lot of volume, then get hard tubes.
He still hasn't told us what kind of pedal it is, its probably like a DS-1 or something cheap
boss OS-2. it sounds a lot better with a solid state amp than it does with my bugera, however on my friends fender champ it works great, and on the hot rod it was un-inspiring.

what i mean is, with my spider, if i crank the distortion and gain i can get a heavy metal sound. with teh v22 it just gets fuzzy and is a weak **s excuse for any form of metal sound. for example.

what i am doing now is turning down the settings on the boss, adding a little gain and more volume. it is mostly on the overdrive side. it is acting almost like a clean boost. but when it is on the dirty channel, it still adds volume and a bit of gain for a lead sound.

today, i scooped mids, cranked the gain, took off the mid boost, and put the pedal on how it is now, and it got a decent higher gain sound with no clipping.

it is only when i turn the gain or volume on the pedal higher it start sounding AWEFUL.

i was just wondering if a better/harder tube will allow a better dirty sound.
i think this same thing is happening with my shitty silvertone practice amp. however, all im doing is turning the sound and overdrive knobs the whole way up. i get a really bad high pitched sound.

Silvertone Bluesmaster SSLA-30
Samick Revolver Bass
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Quote by ikey_
i was just wondering if a better/harder tube will allow a better dirty sound.
Try it. If it doesn't improve your sound what have you lost? It's always good to have spares - it's not like they go stale on the shelf.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ikey_
boss OS-2. it sounds a lot better with a solid state amp than it does with my bugera, however on my friends fender champ it works great, and on the hot rod it was un-inspiring.

It's almost like the OS-2 isn't a metal-tone-in-a-box pedal.......

Quote by jameszq7
i think this same thing is happening with my shitty silvertone practice amp. however, all im doing is turning the sound and overdrive knobs the whole way up. i get a really bad high pitched sound.

It's almost like you're giving the amp shit tons of gain, so it's feeding back uncontrollably....