Hey guys, this is my first post in these forums, I hope i will be welcomed Anyway, I've played acoustic guitar for 2 years and have gotten good enough in my opinion to venture onwards and buy an electric guitar.

Since i'm no John Mayer or anything, the guitar ive decided to buy is a guitar recommended to me by my teacher and online as well as a great budget guitar: The yamaha pacifica 112V (will run me about 400 dollars canadian with my student discount including the amp). I've looked at some squiers, but ive heard many mixed reviews about them and since this will be my first electric that i plan to have last a while before i get a new one, i have already made up my mind that this is the one.

Now, onto the main point of this post I was just wondering out of the two colors here, which guitar color for the pacifica out of the 2 im considering is best? I find black/white is classy but a bit cliche, and the white is unique but may turn yellowish overtime or something. Both i really like the appearance of though. Please assume both will have MAPLE fretboards, even though this white one has a rosewood one, I couldn't find a picture with maple for it.

Color 1: http://www.rockandrollmusic.co.uk/xcart/images/P/YAMAHA%2BPA112VCXVW.JPG

Color 2: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/57b1054a26bb283f9e1073233c95f999.jpg

*assume maple fretboard for both please

Secondly What is the best budget amplifier for an electric guitar. I've been thinking a small 20 watt roland amp is a good cheap one, but i don't really know to be honest :P

So thank you to anyone who takes time to read and respond to this, I won't pain you to read something this long in the future, I'm just quite ambitious regarding buying my first electric axe.
Last edited by Dee Ay at Jul 2, 2010,
A Roland Cube is a good choice. Another amp for you to look at is a Peavey Vypyr. Avoid the Line 6 Spiders... Their sound is whack.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Dee Ay

Secondly What is the best budget amplifier for an electric guitar. I've been thinking a small 20 watt roland amp is a good cheap one, but i don't really know to be honest :P

So thank you to anyone who takes time to read and respond to this, I won't pain you to read something this long in the future, I'm just quite ambitious regarding buying my first electric axe.

I have a slight distaste for strats, so I'll just skip to the amp question.

I always recommend buying a decent tube amp. You can get a small one, like a 10 or 20 watt, and that will plenty for you. Solid state amps can be (and usually are) very digital sounding, and if you buy one, you will start realizing over time how much better tube amps can really sound.

I noticed you said you're getting an amp with the guitar, so I'd recommend using that until you can save up enough for a good tube amp. Just as a starting point, have a look at the Marshall Class 5. It's a 5 watt tube amp, and it has a great sound for such a little amp.

Keep in mind, tube amps are much more expensive than solid state amps, but they're something that you (most likely) won't want to throw out a window after a couple months.

Good luck on your search!
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
@The38 thanks for the feedback i think i will go for the cube, but i will look into the other things, I just want to minimize my costs and maximize my benefits (relative to the price i pay)

@Jsteele Hm, will the 5W tube amp really outperform a 20w Roland cube, considering you say it will cost more?

@Himel Thanks for the feedback too, will check it out pickguards are interchangeable too so i can spice things up that way too, theres so much freedom in guitars i love it Do you think the white guitar will go yellow though? (its vintage white, not pure white already, but still?)
Last edited by Dee Ay at Jul 2, 2010,
I'd go with the first Pacifica (don't read my signature :P). It's an awesome guitar, the only "weak" point of it, is the humbucker when coil-split, which isn't a big deal, it's useable, just not great.

Have mine for almost 2 years now, and hasn't yellowed or anything. Keeps tune perfectly over months (and I have my bridge floating), even with heavy bending (using .010's). Nut is perfectly cut (unlike some reviews I found saying the strings slip out, mine haven't, not even once). Awesome guitar for the price.

Also, you couldn't find the VCX with maple fretboard because there isn't one. The VCX is a special edition 112V that comes in all black or white/red pickguard, both with rosewood boards.

For amp, I'd look at the Roland Microcube or Vox Da5, both great practice amps. If you're looking tube amp, Bugera V5, sounds quite good for a practice 5W tube amp, with reverb and attenuation. Very cheap to boot.
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
@Boiler haha at your signature. Yellowing I thought would have been an issue with a white guitar, but i'll take your word for it Im not too sure what the difference between that tube amp above and the roland 20x microcube ive been looking at (i'm still a freshman when it comes to amps and electric guitars). It is disappointing that I cannot put a maple neck on the guitar though, i really don't like rosewood a whole lot, I like the 1piece look maple necks give and maple is better for my dark hands :P so hmmm, that is rather unfortunate...then again, ill likely buy another guitar in my lifetime... :P
Quote by Dee Ay

@Jsteele Hm, will the 5W tube amp really outperform a 20w Roland cube, considering you say it will cost more?

Yes, absolutely. It takes 10x the wattage to make an amp twice as loud, so there's not much of a difference in maximum volume between the 5 and 20 watts. Also, the Roland Cube is solid state, where the Marshall Class 5 is all-tube, meaning it's all organic sound, with no digital processing.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by Jsteele1408
Yes, absolutely. It takes 10x the wattage to make an amp twice as loud, so there's not much of a difference in maximum volume between the 5 and 20 watts. Also, the Roland Cube is solid state, where the Marshall Class 5 is all-tube, meaning it's all organic sound, with no digital processing.

I wouldn't say that a 5W boutique tube amp will out perform a 20W solid state amp.

I mean, tubes are loud, but a 5W tube amp has the lower of maybe a 15W SS amp max, which will also vary on the speaker size. The Bugera only has one 12AX7 and one EL84... that's really nothing too much to get excited about. Once you start getting into 2+ preamp tubes and 2+ output tubes, then things start getting more ballsy.

You guys are throwing all these tube amps at him, but what if he ends up liking acoustic more? At least in a SS modeling amp, he can find the ideal sound he wants out of an electric guitar (if he even chooses to stick with me) and upgrade to something better later.

I put a multi-effect pedal in front of my Spider and it sound's pretty dece. I only ever use it for recording purposes, but still. You guys act like you need to have a tube amp to get a good sound.
if u want a maple fretboard on the white guitar buy a new neck down the road and put it on your yamaha. but the white looks better, and try a vox valvetronix, ive heard there good. i personally hav a marshall mg 15. its digital but its great, look into tht
Thanks so far for the feedback, im always appreciative of more and more people trying to help. I'm keeping a more open mind on amps now, i will look into tubes, the marshall, and still keep the roland in mind and see for the price i will get in town which one does the most that i could want for my dollar.

Also it is rather unfortunate that the white guitar doesnt come with a maple fretboard, even though almost all the others ones do, im not sure if im skilled enough to replace the whole neck with a maple one manually without damaging it but i really dislike rosewood necks on electrics (Despite loving them on acoustics) i don't know why but it's just something about me that has made me not enjoy the rosewood necks i have played on in stores nearly as much. Probably the look of it doesnt appeal to me which makes my mind perceive the guitar to not sound as nice as it probably does... darn psychological mindtricks haha
Last edited by Dee Ay at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Dee Ay
Thanks so far for the feedback, im always appreciative of more and more people trying to help. I'm keeping a more open mind on amps now, i will look into tubes, the marshall, and still keep the roland in mind and see for the price i will get in town which one does the most that i could want for my dollar.

Also it is rather unfortunate that the white guitar doesnt come with a maple fretboard, even though almost all the others ones do, im not sure if im skilled enough to replace the whole neck with a maple one manually without damaging it but i really dislike rosewood necks on electrics (Despite loving them on acoustics) i don't know why but it's just something about me that has made me not enjoy the rosewood necks i have played on in stores nearly as much. Probably the look of it doesnt appeal to me which makes my mind perceive the guitar to not sound as nice as it probably does... darn psychological mindtricks haha

Just to clarify: Is there an amp that comes with the guitar, or are you asking what you should get as your FIRST amp?
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
what type of music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@jsteele no i have to buy the amp separately, and since the guitar will already set me back like 400 dollars, the amp can't be too expensive because i dont really want to spend all my summer job's worth on guitar (or at least my parents dont want me to :P). I already have a crate acoustic amp i will be trading in for my electric guitar amp since i dont use the acoustic amp and i figure i can plug my acoustic into the electric amp anyway so its a 2 for 1 replacement.

@Dave_Mc I like MOSTLY R&B guitar, and some bluesy stuff. I hear the pacifica is very versatile and can cover this and more if i decide to try other outlets. However, upon doing more research and talking to some friends, all my whole 5 months idea of the yamaha pacifica 112 being the ideal first guitar is facing some doubts since many people are also recommending some mexican fender strats. However, i do remember these guitars being way more expensive the yamaha so i doubt my choice of guitar will change. Ill start with the yammy but im planning to get an american strat standard down the line (like 3 or 4 years from now) anyway so getting a mexican one instead of the yammy doesnt make much sense.
Last edited by Dee Ay at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Jsteele1408

solid state and digital are not the same thing. at all. there are many solid state amps that are not digital, and they thus dont sound digital. they may or may not sound good to your ears, but that is a different story.

anyway, i would recomend a nicer solid state amp to start. something that has a few features so you can get different tones. a beggining guitarist is likely to change their style, or at least experiment some. a small tube amp is typically going to give one sound, or a very limited pallet. it may sound better, but it is probably not the best option as a first amp for a beginner.

my recomendation would be something along the lines of the vox valvetronix. it has a wide variety of options and some decent modeling that should suit your styles Dee.
if you ask me the yamaha is more versatile than the MIM strats, unless you're talking about an MIM fat strat (and they only have 21 frets i think, personally i'd prefer 22).

what do you mean by r&b? modern r&b or 60s r&b like clapton?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You say you will have it for a while, I doubt it. The GAS is gon' get ya.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
@Dave_Mc MOre modern stuff but eric clapton is what i consider bluesy and hes my blues guy haha, i also like john mayer's more bluesy sstuff. The modern R&B and blues is what i like most. And i'm guessing you agree I should not look at the MIM strats if ill get an american down the line and focus my attention for the moment on the yamaha? The price difference is like 200 dollars where i am from a 400 dollar pacifica 112vcx to the 600 dollar MIM strat, which is a factor i've kept in mind that is dissuading me from the MIM strats.

@Bassist haha then what would your reccommendation be??
assuming you mean clapton's more modern tones, and mayer, then a strat of some kind would be a good idea. the pacifica should work for it too, and the humbucker would give you a bit more versatility for heavier stuff.

i guess your logic is sound regarding the yamaha versus MIM fender, but i mean they're both pretty similar guitars anyway, and i mean there's no law saying you can't buy a mia fender if you already have an mim. I would just buy whichever you prefer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get the white one and replace the pickguard with a white/matching color one. would be great...
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Black strats with maple fretboards are as classy as you can possibly get definitely go for that one and for that price i think the cube is a fine choice.
SMILE!
@DaveMC Thanks man, if they are as similar as i think i think itll be a good idea to save more money on the pacifica and then get a MIA strat in the future, if i get a MIM one and the MIA, the MIM would never get played after i upgraded, at least with the yamaha there would be some difference that may grant it a few play sessions :P. I always assumed strat shapes gave more bluesy sounds and stuff, it was what i was told, i never really have looked at single cutaway guitars for this reason, i also like the concept behind strat shaped guitars with the double cut.

@Metalter Ill buy more pickguards down the line for sure, i think they are easy to change right so i can spice things up with different pickguards in the future!

@Mr.Deadduck I think ill get the white yamaha provided i can find out if it comes with a maple board like i want and then when i get my MIA strat down the line ill do that black white pickguard with the maple for sure because yes eric clapton is the man and i have to do that on a MIA strat, just wouldnt be right any other way. Also i notice you have a pacifica 612v, is that similar to the 112v or different, i will look it up a bit now but you will know more about it i guess
Last edited by Dee Ay at Jul 4, 2010,
yeah, a 612v is just a higher-end pacifica, i haven't tried it but I've tried the 812v (which is higher-end again), and it's really nice. I think they've been discontinued, though, which is a shame, they were really nice guitars at a decent price, and you didn't really need to upgrade anything on them (the 812v).

you can change how a guitar sounds a lot by swapping pickups etc., so i wouldn't worry too much there. the body shape does make a little difference to the sound, but not that much, there are other things making a bigger difference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm, point noted, thank you. I will try to play the MIM strat and the Yamaha pacifica 112v in the separate stores they are sold in and figure out around what price i could get after bartering for each. I still think the yamaha is a good bang for my buck, ill probably swap pickups and all that later, i doubt I could tell the difference early on with the electrics and their pickups.
Yeah, I'm sorry. I thought you were getting an amp with the guitar and wondering what the next one should be.

Since that's not the case, a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix will do you fine. I had a Vox Valvetronix 15-watt and it was a great little amp, I would certainly recommend it. It seems like a good fit for your desired playing style, too.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
@Jsteele ok thank you, ive seen a lot of roland amps where i take lessons, but i will look up a vox amp now, would you say amps or guitars are the more important factor, because it seems a lot of more talk came towards the amp than the guitar in this discussion haha :P
Quote by Dee Ay
@Jsteele ok thank you, ive seen a lot of roland amps where i take lessons, but i will look up a vox amp now, would you say amps or guitars are the more important factor, because it seems a lot of more talk came towards the amp than the guitar in this discussion haha :P

I'd say they're both equally as important. Without a good amp, your guitar won't sound good. Without a good guitar, your playing will suffer.

I think there's more amp talk because you seem pretty confident in your choice of guitar, but were looking for more advice on the amp. (Also, the exact model of my Vox amp was AD15VT-XL, just for a little more information.)
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
^ agreed. i would say a valvetronix would be better too, I like the cubes, but they're more aimed at hard rock and metal tones, the valvetronixes are more aimed at lighter tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well ok I found out some more info about the actual guitar. And its annoying because previously someone here said there is no maple neck available for the vintage white guitar with the red pickguard. SO i called the store to make sure and the guy got back to me today after calling the Yamaha store he'd order it from.

He told me yes there is a maple one...and im like "on the white one" and then he says. .." hmm...i think it was a yellowish one" and then i'm thinking in my head maybe he thinks its yellow cuz its vintage white, but maybe its actually yellow because its the VMX yellow natural satin color and not the VCX and i shouldnt order it because i do not want a bright yellow guitar.

SO its a bit weird how yellowish is defined because he doesnt remember if it had a red pickguard but he claims its a VCX which is white and black base colors only...so maybe its the vintage white one or maybe its the wrong model, i dont want to guess and order in the wrong guitar.
Last edited by Dee Ay at Jul 5, 2010,
ok. im not going to tell you which guitar looks better. because thats completely personal opinion and i have zero idea what looks good to you.

as for yamaha vs MIM, where do you live that an MIM strat costs 600? but, as far as i know they're pretty similar guitars so I don't think it's a big difference either way. On the subject, you seemed to think that the shape of the body determined the sound. The shape is a pretty minor factor behind things like the wood its made from, the strings, the pickups and the amp.

And the amp (probably the most important factor in your tone) id suggest looking into the valvetronix as mentioned above. check out the roland cube and peavey vypyr as well, though those are both geared a bit more towards harder stuff than you want to play, but i'm sure they'd both do fine. stay away from line 6 spiders and marshall mgs. they have a crappy, thin, digital sound that you might not notice now, but after your ears develop a bit, you'll be kicking yourself every time you play.
@Saint ok thanks man, your information is good to know. I actually was loooking more at the micro cube but this forum has made me change my mind now that i hear a lot of people say the vox is better for my style. Good to do your research (unlike before i bought my first acoustic guitar of my 2 haha) So i will look for a vox valvetronix amp,does it have as many features as rolands that can change the tone of the guitar and add special effects?

Also i live in Belleville Ontario, the guitar store that carries fender/gibsons exclusively for my town, Harmonie's, sells the MIM standard strats for $596 BEFORE TAX...Are you saying thats a bad price or a steal price, I couldnt tell. The yamaha dealer is a different store and the 112v series is actual 400, not 430, so i think its smarter to go for that as i initially thought and have told many people here now after feedback.
is that USD or canadian?

i live near chicago and MIMs are only like 500 new though ive seen them for less, which is why i was wondering.
Quote by Dee Ay
So i will look for a vox valvetronix amp,does it have as many features as rolands that can change the tone of the guitar and add special effects?

Absolutely, my Vox (the XL version) has 11 amp models, and about a dozen effects like Chorus, Phaser, Reverb, Compression (SUPER USEFUL), Delay, all that good stuff. They sound great, too! Could not have been happier with that choice of amp, I never regretted it.
Gear:
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by saint22
is that USD or canadian?

i live near chicago and MIMs are only like 500 new though ive seen them for less, which is why i was wondering.

he's from canada.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Yes i am from canada and ive decided to order in the yamaha with my dad so im happy it will be arriving soon. I still havent paid yet but im wondering if i should sell my acoustic amp to lower the price of buying my electric guitar + amp.

Im thinking of doing this since i havent used my acoustic guitar amp for any of my acoustics that i should sell it towards getting the electric guitar amp since an acoustic can sound through an electric amp anyway...right? theres no point in having the electric amp and the acoustic amp when the electric has more features and can do sound for acoustic guitars too right...?
i have no real experience with acoustics, but i'm guessing an acoustic amp would likely sound better for acoustic than an electric amp. At very least, you could wait until the electric amp arrives to see which is better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the Grayish color

As for amps, I personally think a great starter amp is getting a small bass amp (Peavey or Roland is my preference) and a distortion pedal. But I personally like a dark guitar sound and that may not be your cup of tea.
Got my yamaha pacifica 112vcx today (the white one with the red tort) and i must say it looks nicer in real life than the picture. Didnt get the maple board but rosewood is fine. Im not skilled enough to do a review and videos so i wont lol. I ended up getting a roland cube 20 since the vox 30 and cube 30 were too expensive and the roland was at the same store, so my dad decided its best to buy the amp thats at the store instead of travelling from store to store cuz he didnt want to do that.

The whole package costed $711, 400 (plus tax) for the guitar, and 230 (plus tax) for the amp, with a free gig bag and crappy strap, that i will replace with an actually comfortable one.

Havent plugged it in yet since ive been entertaining some younger children, but im getting the guitar guy in the store on wednesday to adjust and tweak everything, along with getting an electric guitar stand and elixer strings on it (i always go elixer). thanks for everyones help on this forum.
no problem, glad you got something you like
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?