Page 1 of 2
Listen to this guy's tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qEDJy_dauI&feature=related

Now, ignore the fact that it's a mediocre deathcore chug and listen to the tone. It's not muddy or digital. How the hell can I get this? Any distortion model in the Pod Farm I is completely muddy and digital. I can't seem to fix it. The Treadplate Dual has an irremovable flubby low end and is muddy and digital. The JCM-800 clone is fizzy and is muddy and digital. See where I'm going with this? I was expecting this with the shitty Line 6 simulations, but ALL of them? Even following the instructions of the guy in the vid lower on that page, I can't get it. There's plenty of other vids on Youtube with exceptional ton as well. Am I doing something wrong? Can I just plug in my amp and record with that? Will have to get that Metal amp pack to get a decent distortion model?
Well to me it sounded really trebly and maybe mid-scooped. He didn't use THAT much gain and it sounded dual or quad tracked. Also i didn't think it sounded like a heavy chug at all
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

"L6 Six band semi-parametric EQ"

Sounds like this could be your best friend
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The guy's tone isn't muddy? Hell yes it is.

I use Pod Farm too. I too was disappointed at first with all the amp models. Spend some time with the 4-band EQ. Maybe throw in a compressor as well. My personal fav. for metal is the Line 6 Chemical X model. Also play around with the different cab and mic models they have. Try the Treadplate cab + Chemical X + SM57 off-axis; I think you'll get somewhere with that. Also remember, if you want huge gain, I find it better to leave the amp gain around noon and use a tubescreamer to add gain.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
if you go onto my profile i have recordings using POD farm, i dont think my tone is as bad as him but check it out and see what you think, and its not metalcore or what ever to so

EDIT: if you know what you are doing the cleans dont sound muddy at all, i actually prefer my clean settings on the POD farm than my amp
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Jul 2, 2010,
This thread will help you out a lot.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

A step-by-step guide to set-up VST amp simulators. These VSTs sound far better than anything found in Pod Farm, and they're all free to download.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by Guitar-KID125
Well to me it sounded really trebly and maybe mid-scooped. He didn't use THAT much gain and it sounded dual or quad tracked. Also i didn't think it sounded like a heavy chug at all

Any way to tell when something will sound good doubled or quadrupled when it hasn't been layered yet? The whole time I've played guitar it's just been me, my guitar, and one amp. I'm not sure what to listen for.
Quote by Guitar-KID125

Any way to tell when something will sound good doubled or quadrupled when it hasn't been layered yet? The whole time I've played guitar it's just been me, my guitar, and one amp. I'm not sure what to listen for.
Quote by cxrlxscr
This thread will help you out a lot.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

A step-by-step guide to set-up VST amp simulators. These VSTs sound far better than anything found in Pod Farm, and they're all free to download.

Very much disagree.

I've been using the free VSTs for months trying to get a passable tone, but they're all basically the same. I got POD Farm Platinum on Monday and the models in the addon packs absolutely demolish every free VST I've used, you just need to spend the time tweaking.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Very much disagree.

I've been using the free VSTs for months trying to get a passable tone, but they're all basically the same. I got POD Farm Platinum on Monday and the models in the addon packs absolutely demolish every free VST I've used, you just need to spend the time tweaking.

this. Pod Farm IMO is the ultimate amp modeling for the price
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Sounds pretty muddy to me,

Listen to my tone on my youtube for enter sandman, It sounds digital but IMo it's not muddy,

To get a decent sound you really need to double track and EQ with podfarm (i didn't EQ mine tho)
really? this is the best sound ive ever heard from something transistor based/not tube. i almost thought it was tube at first. he might have pod farm 2 btw. either way, this guys video is def reassuring me for planning to buy the UX2 soon.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Not a fan, but all of Attack Attack's songs are POD Farm with very minimal post-production.

The guitar on my band's song "Death Sensitive" is all POD Farm's Diamond Plate: myspace.com/illariarock
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 3, 2010,
the trick with pod farm is cutting out a lot of the high end as all the amp models are trebly
and using the screamer pedal with the drive and gain at about 1/3 and the amps gain at about half way but the metal pack is pretty much a must if you want decent metal tones from pod farm
AAAARRGGHHHH THE PAIN IN MY EARS!!!

yep thats pod farm for you. it does not and will not sound good but it is handy, fun and functional.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado

yep thats pod farm for you. it does not and will not sound good but it is handy, fun and functional.

No offense, but anyone who says POD Farm does not, and will not sound good, hasn't spent enough time with it. POD Farm is the best sounding modeling software on the market right now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Very much disagree.

the best free VST ive used is shred by acme bar gig. not a fan of most of those listed in that thread either, but the revalver demo is nice (except the hiss).

havent used pod farm, but i know a lot of people like it. not sure i would go so far as say it is the best modeller out there, but i cant really think of anything that would be better for less.
Quote by jof1029
the best free VST ive used is shred by acme bar gig. not a fan of most of those listed in that thread either, but the revalver demo is nice (except the hiss).

havent used pod farm, but i know a lot of people like it. not sure i would go so far as say it is the best modeller out there, but i cant really think of anything that would be better for less.

I dunno, I tried Shred and I couldn't get a single usable tone for a recording out of it. It was cool to mess around with, but there was just something lacking from every single one of their models.

My favorite free VSTs have been the Nick Crowe 8505/7170 and almost anything by LePou. Revalver is an awesome modeling software, I will definitely agree with that one, it's the only one I've really thought was close to POD Farm, the settings on that software is insanely tweakable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
the only model i really end up using on shred is the marvel (marshall type model). i do think that it sounds more record-able when using different cab sims. the stuff they have is nice for practicing, but doesnt sit as well in the mix IMO. throw on one of the cab impulses from Ryan and i think it works a lot better.
Quote by MatrixClaw
No offense, but anyone who says POD Farm does not, and will not sound good, hasn't spent enough time with it. POD Farm is the best sounding modeling software on the market right now.

Tried Amplitube 3?

TS- what monitors are you using?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't know if it's the best, but I just picked up a used Toneport KB37 (Toneport with midi keyboard) for $60. I've got it running into a mixer then to some Samson Resolv 65a powered monitors. I'm totally impressed with the tone and I've hardly messed with it. Anybody that thinks it sounds bad has other issues. There's nothing wrong with Pod Farm. Except it'd be nice if you could have more flexibility in pedal order, and multiple Mod pedals in a chain.
Quote by fly135
I don't know if it's the best, but I just picked up a used Toneport KB37 (Toneport with midi keyboard) for $60. I've got it running into a mixer then to some Samson Resolv 65a powered monitors. I'm totally impressed with the tone and I've hardly messed with it. Anybody that thinks it sounds bad has other issues. There's nothing wrong with Pod Farm. Except it'd be nice if you could have more flexibility in pedal order, and multiple Mod pedals in a chain.

If you upgrade to version 2 you're allowed to do all of that. You can even run multiple of the same effects in one chain.
Quote by Meelad360
If you upgrade to version 2 you're allowed to do all of that. You can even run multiple of the same effects in one chain.
Dang, they're always thinking of ways to get my money.
Quote by TheFunkyAvocado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGS8vvQKg14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqqXzZMD2M

I disagree.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Jul 3, 2010,
No offense, but you guys who claim that Podfarm can't produce good results are either stupid, deaf, pretentious or just plain lazy. Any producer worth his salt can squeeze good/excellent tone out of what he has to work with. Podfarm just makes that process easier and more efficient.
I find that you can get usable metal tones outta podfarm specifically with the Metal Shop addon (from what ive heard). Now, for someone like me who plays modern rock, I find it hard to get a good medium gain (think newer Offspring, Chevelle). I have the standard version, the best tone i've gotten is from the screamer-treadplate-treadplate cab setup(ive had podfarm for two years, this is the best setup for standard podfarm) .The tone however is lacking, it's either really shrill, or if I turn down the treble it sounds really weak. You can listen to some of my songs for an example at www.soundclick.com/bleakperfect. all recorded with podfarm.

My question is, can I get this 'medium gain' tone outta Metal Shop?
i didn't even realise.. GAHHHH
People need to stop necrobumping. All that work of linking ma clips for nothing
Even though this is ube rold, I'll go ahead and point out that Joey Sturgis uses pod farm for the stuff he records. He has recorded bands like the devil wears prada, attack attack, oceano, and we came as romans. Regardless of whether you like the bands, their tone definitely doesn't suck,
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You've probably heard most of them already Just the effort of linking them all to proove a 2 year old point..
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Even though this is ube rold, I'll go ahead and point out that Joey Sturgis uses pod farm for the stuff he records. He has recorded bands like the devil wears prada, attack attack, oceano, and we came as romans. Regardless of whether you like the bands, their tone definitely doesn't suck,

I think I've heard this before.

So this means when you watch their videos, and see all those Mesa stacks, what you're really hearing is Pod Farm?
Quote by coolstoryangus
You've probably heard most of them already Just the effort of linking them all to proove a 2 year old point..

still kinda relevant and he wasn't asking a 'what amp' thread. i probably have listened to most of those but I'll check again tomorrow when I have more time. I'm dead tired right now and typing on fumes.
Quote by Ignite
I think I've heard this before.

So this means when you watch their videos, and see all those Mesa stacks, what you're really hearing is Pod Farm?

yes and no hahaha. They use the mesa/whatever brand stacks live. So when you see them live you're hearing mesa stacks. But yeah in the video itself you're hearing pod farm.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
yes and no hahaha. They use the mesa/whatever brand stacks live. So when you see them live you're hearing mesa stacks. But yeah in the video itself you're hearing pod farm.

Yeah that's what I meant. More specifically, the Stick Stickly video. The song is a joke, but I always thought the tone sounded like a recto. Then it shows recto stacks so I assumed it was. So now I'm kind of shocked.

Also tone TS posted sounds like ass.

Listen to the isolated guitar tracks of My Curse by KSE to hear the best metalcore tone ever created, and then try to copy it as best you can.

Impulses have the most impact on your tone when you're going direct. First is getting the dynamics right (gain, how it responds, etc, pretty much just finding the right amp model) then it's impulse time. That's when you realize life sucks and you'll never be happy going direct. /minirant
^I can match that tone to a point that you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference, with amp modeling
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^I can match that tone to a point that you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference, with amp modeling

Give me a patch. Nao.

edit:
actually I've heard someone replicate EOH's tone almost perfectly with Amplitube. I asked how, and to share the patch but then never responded
Last edited by Ignite at Jan 21, 2012,
Page 1 of 2