I'm going to customize my Warlock and I want it to have all black hardware. However, If I were to buy everything black it would cost about $100. Would it work if I just spray painted all the hardware on it black, and then buy anything else that I think needs replacing(tuners, etc.), or would the paint just come off?
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
It'd look like ass compared to black chrome.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Haha. So I guess I shouldn't cheap out on it?
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Well, if you cheap out on it it'll look cheap and probably wear off. If you buy black hardware it'll look like its price lol
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
It'll wear out real quick if you try to paint it. Just buy new hardware.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I think for the trouble you'd have to go to so you could get them powder wouldn't be worth it.

Id buy new hardware,
and I agree with the other guys that it would eventually get chipped and scratched if you just paint it.
It would cost you more to powder coat it than buying black hardware, I bet.

Every time I see a guitar with painted hardware, I actually laugh at how cheesy it looks. It never comes out well, and it rubs off almost immediately. Best thing is, it won't rub off in the angles and tight spaces... so you can't remove all of it after you realize how bad it looks.

Try Warmoth for hardware. You'd be surprised how cheap you can get stuff like bridges, tuners, etc... that are of great quality. (Gotoh bridge, tailpiece, SG38 tuners, for example)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
The paint will be coming off in places, before you even have it all assembled.

There isn't the room on bridges etc to do a good enough paint job, that will last for a while.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
what kind of hardware do you plan on painting??? gfs has black hardware for cheap.
Quote by savage94
what kind of hardware do you plan on painting??? gfs has black hardware for cheap.

Seconded, but I think he said bridge in OP.

You shouldn't paint it, but you can.
I'd say, either buy new, or powder coat it.
About the tuners, no need to replace them really, the ones on my Wartribe are good. It's the nut that's the problem. I've been meaning to replace my plastic nut with a bone nut for a while now. Just haven't got the money to buy the tools.
..I was watching my death.
Well i dont know whats on it at the moment, but i assume its chrome.

As long as you key the hardware, i.e sand it till the surface is smooth and matte, etch prime it and then paint over the top then you should be fine.

If you want a perfect gloss finish then leave it to cure and then sand it completely smooth with wet and dry paper and buff it with cutting compound and water (but it should dry glossy anyway, only need to do that if it dries looking crappy or your a perfectionist)

Oh, and if you get fingerpints on it after sanding, clean it off with meths or white spirit etc.

It will only flake off if you didnt key the surface and painted straight onto it, because it wont have stuck on.

Best of luck

D&O