So I'm not that great at guitar, but I know enough to know that my Line 6 Spider III 15w sounds like crap. I know I'm a better guitar player than what I sound like, so I REALLY need a new amp. I've been looking at some ~5w tube amps, and they sound pretty nice, but there's a problem: they might actually be too loud for practice . The thing is, my house is really tiny, and my parents get mad at me if I put the volume on the Line 6 even above 1 . Tube amps that small don't usually have power attenuators, so I couldn't play quietly. The only way I could get a good overdrive tone would be to crank the amp, which I couldn't do. If I had a solid state amp, I could get a good overdrive tone and turn the master volume down so I could play quietly. Of course, though, solid state amps don't sound as good as tube amps.

I occasionally like to jam with my friends, and every once in a while I do a coffehouse gig (in a VERY small room), but mostly it would just be for home practice. I'm looking for tone and convenience, not volume. I probably won't even need to use any more than 5 watts any time in the near future. What are your opinions? What do you think would be a better investment?
if you cant put your line 6 on one your screwed with guitar. cause thats not loud enough to hear anything. i have a spyder as a practice amp before i got my tube. when i play, master is on 5, channel is on about 4. if i play loud, channel is on 5-6.

but again even a small 5 watt amp will be VERY loud. it will just sound like crap turned up. same with your spyder.

cheapest bet is a bugera v5. it has an attenuator down to 1/4 watt. sounds ok, but it does NOT sound like its older cousins. i have a v22 and played a v55. i walked inot the guitar store and tested a guitar on a v5. i did a double take. i cant even belive its te same model line. sounds nothing alike to me.

its probably because its so small and its got no EQ, just 1 tone knob.

a lot of other tubr amps will be more. like the vox 1 watt. its class a and is supposed to sound good, but you pay about 250-300 bucks for it.

basically if your looking at a tube over 1 watt, its going to cost you about 400 bucks. i mean even most 5 watt heads...just hte heads cost like 350ish like the blackheart and blackstar ones.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 2, 2010,
What genre of music?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You should possibly look at amps that have tube preamp but not tube poweramp, that way you get nice tone but not too much power. I was actually in your position so i bought a vintage Carvin amp, only downside was i had to get a pedal for distortion.
I played this at Guitar Center a little while ago and had a nice amount of gain at low volume. It's tube and it sounds pretty good for 5 watts.
Quote by ikey_
but again even a small 5 watt amp will be VERY loud. it will just sound like crap turned up. same with your spyder.

I'm sure a 5W tube amp would sound a lot better cranked up then at low volumes. Tube amps sound better the higher the volume.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Cathbard
What genre of music?

yea we really need to know this because...

Quote by makaveli864
i got the vox ac4tv its a 5 watter and its has an attenuator.
good practice amp

this could be a great idea.

either way i honestly recommend that you invest in a half way decent set of headphones. not earbuds, actual headphones. hearing yourself somewhat loud will help you with techniques in muting, vibrato and countless other things.
so whatever amp you get, a headphone jack would be a big plus.

but if you play metal the vox ac4 is probably not the best option. unless you have a distortion pedal that you love.

also, knowing how much you want to spend would help us a lot here...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by RIPURJAWOFF
You should possibly look at amps that have tube preamp but not tube poweramp, that way you get nice tone but not too much power.
It's soooooooo the other way around (IMO) but that's a whole different debate. Small tube amps are cool, but it would be creamville at any loud volume.

Why do you need a small amp? You could get some cool 2x12 and a fitting amp head. Killer tones, and still has a volume knob. You do crank it when nobody is around, yeah?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Headphones + power attenuator

Don't know which phones to get? Sennheiser HD555 or Audio Technica AD700. Those are easily some of the best for the money.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
Well I'm 15 years old, so my budget is pretty limited. I wanna say, like, $300 max. I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, and pop. I'm not really a metal guy. The Vox AC4TV looks pretty cool. I've also been looking at the Bugera V5. Any opinions on that?

Also, no one has said anything about solid state amps. Are tube amps really that much better? 'Cause I've played some pretty nice solid state amps, like the Peavey Vypyr and the Roland Cube.
Fender Super Champ XD. You can cover all the tones without having to buy pedals. And it's got a 15 watt tube power amp.
^ or the Vibro Champ XD, which is essentially the same (minus a feature or two I think) except 5 watts.

For solid state, you could look at the Vox Pathfinder 15R or the Orange Crush PiX 12w, as well as the Vox Valvetronix VT15.

Low-wattage solid state amps are, compared to low-wattage tube amps, generally cheaper and (from what I've seen) have more features. Since harmonic distortion on tube amps doesn't come through until the tubes are cranked (say half volume or higher) it won't make too much of a tonal difference if you go with solid state considering you said you won't be rocking the house down anyway. Also, solid state practice amps usually come with headphone jacks.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Jul 3, 2010,
solid state? roland cubes. probably some of the best solid state amps ive ever seem. and VOX valvetronix IF you use the settings. stock...they could get better if you play iwth them.

quite honestly, if i run pedals through my spyder i find it ok to practice with. its not a tube, but its not gross.

a spider by itself. ugh. i fooled around last night. ew.

however i get a beter high gain sound with my spider and a pedal than my bugera v22 and a pedal, because its a vintage voiced amp. but i dont have the cash for a high gain tube amp. but thats still just practicing. loud enough for a band type scenario....it would still sound like crap.

you know the best use for a spider amp? getting the line in and hooking up your i pod to it for house parties. we all knw how loud amps get. louder than an form of music player or most audio systems.

and....its cheaer than most audio systems that would play that loud. and its a spider. so if it breaks....meh. what is the 15 watt worth used? 20-30ish bucks maybe?

an i pod dock is 100.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 3, 2010,
To be honest, your parents are jerks. They should be able to tolerate some level of noise. I'm sure they do things which are just as noisy.

You'll probably have to go with Headphones so get an amp that has a headphone out(probably SS).
Quote by nachosftw20
Well I'm 15 years old, so my budget is pretty limited. I wanna say, like, $300 max. I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, and pop. I'm not really a metal guy. The Vox AC4TV looks pretty cool. I've also been looking at the Bugera V5. Any opinions on that?

Also, no one has said anything about solid state amps. Are tube amps really that much better? 'Cause I've played some pretty nice solid state amps, like the Peavey Vypyr and the Roland Cube.

This forum can get pretty obnoxiously tube purist. An SS amp is honestly much better for your situation.

Even attenuated a Vox AC4TV is loud cranked for example.

Get a good SS amp with a headphone jack. That or a Super Champ XD.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
To be honest, your parents are jerks. They should be able to tolerate some level of noise. I'm sure they do things which are just as noisy.

Right! My mom lets me have and practice in the basement, doesn't even mind it if shes home (thanks mum). I have possibly been playing longer than you though, I know at first I had to always turn down.

I guess I'm just saying that they will have to get used to it, because musicians are loud.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."