well i want a new amp. nothing big. im going to college soon so theres no need. but i hear tubes are great and id like to get in on that. ive been looking around and seen somethings that i like. today i went to a pawn shop and found a peavey rage 158. it says transTUBE series but i figure that doesnt really mean its a tube amp. anyway its $100 and not very beat up at all. so i ask...

Good deal? or keep shopping?
Quote by a_muster121
well i want a new amp. nothing big. im going to college soon so theres no need. but i hear tubes are great and id like to get in on that. ive been looking around and seen somethings that i like. today i went to a pawn shop and found a peavey rage 158. it says transTUBE series but i figure that doesnt really mean its a tube amp. anyway its $100 and not very beat up at all. so i ask...

Good deal? or keep shopping?

Keep shopping! It's not tube. You can get a Fender Champion 5 watt tube amp for $150 and it's plenty loud. You won't want over 5W in a dorm room anyway, assuming that's where you'll be. Plus the Peavey isn't worth $100 - maybe $40 which I'd say they'll make a deal with you.
Guitars: Gibson LP Studio Faded Brown, Fender Strat
Amp: Ampeg VT-120
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech Whammy, ProCo Vintage Rat, Boss TU-2 Tuner, BBE Green Screamer, Behringer EQ700, Behringer DD400 Delay, MXR Phase 90
Don't buy a tube amp just because you heard they are good. You need to research exactly what kind of amps are suitable for your needs. A tube amp isn't always the best solution. What's your budget, and what kind of music will you be playing? A good modeller may very well be better suited to your needs.
ok well i play a schecter damien with emgs that are are about to be replaced with seymour duncans and im probably gooing to set up a split coil type deal. run that through a behringer v-amp hooked to a fender frontman 25r. sometimes i like the sound and other days i dont even like looking at it after ive played a little. and the amp sometimes does this buzz thing till i hit it like fonzy(exuse spelling if incorrect). but i like everything from metal to a little country so i want versatilty... whatcha think?
Blackstar HT-5. Find it used for $300, great for teh Brootalz. I'm GASing for the HT-Dist-X pedal.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON