I saw this band live @ a club last week, and this is one of the pics I found on facebook from that day, still I kinda liked the bassist's tone but I had never before seen a bass like that. I have no clue what kind of bass it could be, any help? The only thing I know about the band is that they played funk and that bass sounded amazing when slapped.

So what bass is it? Is it any good?
That would be an Ernie Ball Bongo, I will own one one day once I have enough money.

EDIT: It's great for more than just funk, I'm saving up for the 6-string version which is what John Myung currently uses. Those are about $2000, the 4 string ones should be cheaper.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jul 3, 2010,
yeah its a bongo. I would sell my left testicle (and probably would have to) to get a bongo.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Mmmmmm, Bongo's. Wonderful, versatile basses. A bit expensive, but top notch stuff from MM.

It's a pity I really don't like them at all
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Mmmmmm, Bongo's. Wonderful, versatile basses. A bit expensive, but top notch stuff from MM.

This
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Tostitos

But why exactly don't you like them?
Quote by Silveroon009

One of my friends claims the neck is too fat. I personally like it that way, makes it good for funk.
Quote by Silveroon009

I just find that their bodies are uncomfortable and awkwardly shaped, and while I have nothing against basswood, I'd prefer some nicer, non-transparent tonewoods if I'm spending $1500 or more on a bass.

Plus I think they're ugly as sin tbh. But its all IMO of course, if you like them, they're fantastic, well put together basses.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
greaet sound but personally i find them so vissualy unappealing
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96

Agreed. I used to own a Bongo 5 HH and it sounded amazing, but everytime I looked at it next to my Stingray it looked ugly as sin
Quote by JessyB96

yeah xD dunno why but they remind of them being half finished designs dunno why lol.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by JessyB96

You reckon? I think they look fantastic. I guess it's just personal opinion though.
Musicman seem to have a habit of making wonderful things look so unappealing. The big Al 5 is an AMAZING bass versatility wise but I cant imagine myself ever being comfortable with it aesthetically
Le Sraah
I think they are ugly as all hell, and after playing a couple I really just don't like them at all. I've never been much for Musicmans anyways, though.
They are a really odd shape (and the pickguard doesn't help in the toilet analogy), but god they are the epitome of a sonic labyrinth. Versatile doesn't begin to describe them. And they are great for funk.