Im not understanding the baritone and 7-string guitar tunings...

A baritone is (atleast with Taproot songs)...tuned to Drop A.

b
g
d
a
e
A

Right? But a 7-string is:

e
b
g
d
a
e
B

But is the 7-string tuning exactly standard tuning except with a B string on the top? Or is it like the other 5 strings with a baritone?

God, this is hard to explain. Im trying to convert baritone tabs to a 7-string, but Guitar Pro for some reason will transpose the 5th string of a baritone (e) to the 6th string of a 7-string (e)...but wouldnt it be an octave lower?

Why is it when I tune my new 7-string B string to an A, it works as a powerchord with the E and a strings? Should they have to be the a and d strings tuned down to an e and a??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
The only thing you would have to transpose would be if you wanted to play notes on the high e string of your 7-string. Otherwise, tuning your 7 string to drop A is the same as slapping a high e string on the drop A tuned baritone.
drop tuning is when you take the bottom string and detune it a whole step, while 7 string guitars add an extra string to the bottom in standard tuning to give you extended range. thats the difference. and depending on how you form the powerchord, idk what to tell you. all it is is root and fifth, if you have those viola.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
whats so hard to understand? a 7 string in standard is tuned like a normal 6 string, then the B is added because the interval repeats. a 6 string baritone is the bottom 6 strings on a 7 string. drop A is the 7th string dropped OR the 6th string baritone string dropped.

unless im completely reading this wrong?
Last edited by bbetances at Jul 3, 2010,
On a six string guitar B standard baritone tuning is

B-E-A-D-F♯-B

drop a would be aeadf#b

a seven string is B-e-a-d-g-b-e not quite the same.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

B-E-A-D-F♯-B

drop a would be aeadf#b

In that case, you could tune the low B down 1 whole step and tune the g down a half step and ignore the high e, and it's the same.
Quote by AcousticMirror

B-E-A-D-F♯-B

drop a would be aeadf#b

This guy get it.

What everyone is saying doesnt really make sense, because then you could play a normal 6 string tuned to standard and have it be the same as a baritone in Drop A? No...thats not right...The e-a-d strings on a baritone arent the same as the e-a-d on a 7-string...they are tuned down...arent they?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there