I'm in a 4-piece post-hardcore/metalcore band, and we've done probably more than enough songs and played probably like 3 shows so far and there's a problem that we're trying to fix, our guitarist and bassist never head bang whenever we play. Now it seems like it's not that big of a deal, but in our last show, we played 8 songs and out of the 8 songs, they probably actually only moved around/head banged in 2 songs.

I'm not just saying "head banging" but they have no emotion, movement, or feeling when the play, they just stand there... and play their instrument
While me and our drummer are completely into it. It doesn't really seem to get the crowd going if only the singer and drummer are moving around showing feeling in what we're playing. We talked to our bassist and he said he didn't want to move around or anything because he didn't like the show? I've shown them how to do it many times(I originally played guitar, then moved to vocals) but they don't seem to get it.

So is their anything I can do to get our guitarist/bassist to have feeling when they play?
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

//Are you as think as i drunk you are?//

Quote by DrPants PhD

-Some pregnant teacher threw up on my sister, lawl.
OWNED
Last edited by heavymetal31 at Jul 3, 2010,
*mesmerized by TS's avatar...*

uh...

*ahem*

Maybe they're bored.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Well, is their playing good? Besides the fact that they don't run around while playing?
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by Momentosis

I really cannot look away...

Bandleading forum.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by mcjosh
Well, is their playing good? Besides the fact that they don't run around while playing?
our guitarist is nothing to worry about how he plays, but the bassist isn't THAT good =/
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

Quote by DrPants PhD

OWNED
sometimes its hard playing a song correctly AND headbanging. i say its best to play the song correctly than look cool and sound like s**t
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
They don't have to head bang. Work it into your image. Have them stand there, slouching, motionless except for playing their instruments, with a completely blank stare. Then rename your band "The Psychotics and the Stroke Victims" or something similar.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
They're probably not comfortable with thier instruments. Once they get more used to playing the songs (once it gets into thier muscle memory), then it's gonna be easier to do other shit while playing.
Well, I don't see how moving around makes you sound soulful. I can play with emotion but I usually stand sorta still.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

maybe they're not into the songs they're playing, so ask them to play some songs they might like and actually get more into?
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
Create two human bobblehead dolls.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by daniel c b
maybe they're not into the songs they're playing, so ask them to play some songs they might like and actually get more into?
the stupid thing is.... they doo like the songs we play, I know they do, they've told me
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

Quote by DrPants PhD

OWNED
Last edited by heavymetal31 at Jul 3, 2010,

Would like to have a word with you.

You don't have to move to play a good show.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by BigBlackPimp
ask yourself what a real brutalz viking would do......

listen to yo niggaz.
Oh, you DO want a free demo?
Quote by larrytheguitar

This. Get him a PRS and cut his hair and your music will sound good.
or be BTBAM.
Quote by BigBlackPimp
ask yourself what a real brutalz viking would do......

Or a celtic madman.

Honestly, who cares. Get new players if u odnt like em?
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I don't see the big deal. When some musicians just stand and others go crazy, the contrast it creates actually looks pretty cool.

Just ask Tool.

In the EDIT:

Quote by larrytheguitar

Isn't this guy supposed to be a vegan?

Cause he sure doesn't look like a vegan.

<_<

>_>
Last edited by In The Mist at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by heavymetal31
he said he didn't want to move around or anything because he didn't like the show?

Sounds like a stuck-up faggot to me. Get rid of him.
Quote by Momentosis

Too true...

But if they're not that good it might be hard for them?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by larrytheguitar

DUSTIEEE
Sig.
IMO, you can't change a person.

If he doesn't bangeth his head in a righteous manner, that's just how he is. He's not trying to spite you two (I hope not).
hue
Practice it during practice. If they're not moving during practice, I'm not sure why you'd expect them to move during a gig. Practice standing up and presenting yourselves as if you were at a gig. If they are still not moving, have a chat to them.

But otherwise standing completely still is usually a symptom of nerves, and fretboard staring.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
just give them few beers...that will fix the problem^^
Last edited by dem0x at Jul 3, 2010,
Maybe the music is too difficult for them to play without standing still? If this is the case then practice is all I can suggest, have them practice playing the songs without looking at the fretboards, and then gradually move on to headbanging and moving around on stage, and practice playing the songs in rehearsals as you intend to play them live, it always annoys me when people stand still or sit down in rehearsal, you're practising your entire band presentation, not just playing the music.

However, there could just be an attitude problem. As your bassist said he "didn't like the show," I'm guessing that means he may have felt the venue was too small or not good enough for him to play in, so he therefore didn't give 100%, which is not a good attitude to have at all.

And to all the people mentioning BTBAM, you're not considering the context at all here.
Their music is extremely difficult to play so it pretty much requires that he stand still to play it. TS plays in a metalcore band, not a progressive band, so I'm guessing the music is much easier to play and therefore it would be easier to headbang while performing. Besides, energetic stage shows are a common trait of metalcore gigs, watch any KSE or As I Lay Dying concert video, they don't just stand still and do nothing.
Idk what role you play in the band, but approach them during the songs. I'm the bass player and often times I will walk up face to face with my lead guitarist and we can feed off eachother with motions and groove.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
Idk what role you play in the band, but approach them during the songs. I'm the bass player and often times I will walk up face to face with my lead guitarist and we can feed off eachother with motions and groove.
I'm the vocalist and even when we're rehearsing I'm energetic when we play
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

Quote by DrPants PhD

OWNED
Quote by whalepudding
They don't have to head bang. Work it into your image. Have them stand there, slouching, motionless except for playing their instruments, with a completely blank stare. Then rename your band "The Psychotics and the Stroke Victims" or something similar.

The only flaw is that apart from the beatles and thelonius monk, there are no good bands that begin with "the".
This thread is so full of spam that I have two choices:
1. Give a bunch of warnings
2. Close the thread

I'll choose #2.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.