I am saving up to get a custom made Carvin DC727C and I have a couple of questions about some of the choices I am trying to make.

The most important one for me right now is how would the guitar sound with an alder body and a flamed maple top sound compared to a mahogany body, flamed maple top?

Also what would be a good/best neck wood for my situation: mahogany neck, maple neck, walnut neck, koa neck.

And with what stripes? (5-Piece Mahogany Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes, 5-Piece Koa Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes, 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Koa Stripes, 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes, or 5-Piece Walnut Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes)

What is the difference between the normal edges and round edges?

I am looking at a set of DiMarzio Blaze pups, but again I have no clue what I am going to put in the guitar. So what are some good pups for what I like to play (see below)

I will be running the guitar through a Peavey JSX and eventually a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and Dual Rectifier Multi-watt head (2010 model).

I will be playing basically any type of metal that is tuned to B standard down to A standard but mainly Dream Theater, Nevermore, Trivium, Amon Amarth, At the Gates, Carcass, Steve Vai, Scar Symmetry, Behemoth, Strapping Young Lad/ Devin Townsend, Lacuna Coil, Fear Factory, Ayreon, Meshuggah, etc.

Also I will be recording original material in the style of thrash/death/melodic death/prog/power metal.
Last edited by SCopeland24 at Jul 3, 2010,
By making this topic, you prove to yourself that you're not ready yet to buy a custom guitar. A custom guitar is only a good choice when you PERFECTLY know what you want. If you have SO MANY questions on SO MANY subjects, it's clear that a normal guitar will be just fine for your needs.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Ok, my original post was very vague. I know what I want, I'm just curious about how an alder body with a flamed maple top would sound compared to a mahogany body, flamed maple top and what neck would best compliment the body wood. I know what I want in terms of color, treatment, fingerboard, neck radius, hardware, etc.

I know that mahogany is warm and tends to sound deeper and has more lows and lower mids, where alder is more balanced and a bit on the bright side. I know that adding a maple top will make the guitar brighter, but will a alder body, mapled top guitar with an ebony fretboard be too bright? And if I go mahogany, should I just go mahongany throughout and get a mahogany neck as well? And how does a koa, or walnut striped maple neck sound/ affect the guitar compared to a solid neck? My ibanez prestige has a walnut/maple neck and I couldn't tell you for the love of God what difference that makes tonally.

And I can't find a normal guitar with the specs I like in the seven string department that are under $2000. So the carvin is my best bet.
Last edited by SCopeland24 at Jul 3, 2010,
Personally if I were to order one and had no cost limits, had those bands in mind, I would be getting a 5 piece Koa and Mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard, mahogany body, and maple top.

But that's me.

Alder will be brighter and more open, mahogany will have a warmer low end and give you a fuller midrange.

Koa is like the low mids of mahogany mixed with the brightness of maple.
The stringers ideally just add more stability, but obviously will add a tiny bit of that wood's quality to the attack and sustain.

TL;DR: Go to the Tone Wood thread in the GB&C and look up wood characteristics there. You can find the link in one of the threads stickied at the top of the forum.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 3, 2010,
I know about wood characterists. I just want to know if alder + flamed maple top + ebony board = overly bright and how does the tiny stripes in either a maple or mahogany neck affect the tone, as in drastically, not really, things like that.