To be a great guitar, pano, drum .etc player or too be able play all of them but only be average at each?

I started off as a drummer a few years ago but I'm now more of a guitarist/bassist and I play a bit of piano though I'm not amazing at any of them. I've realised that, had I stuck with drums (I've stopped lessons this year) I'd be quite a good drummer rather than being an average one and could be more widely known in my town. I do enjoy being able to understand, write and play for each instrument.

Bad explanation

How about you guys?
I'm good at guitar and keyboards cuz I've been playing for a while, and I wouldn't wanna be crap at them plus being crap at drums or bass too.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by MousseMoose
Who said you can only master one instrument?

This.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by MousseMoose
Who said you can only master one instrument?

Oh true, but it's obviously a lot harder to evenly practice and work on your skills on each. I'm a decent player at each instrument and I'm definitely improving I was just thinking today that my drumming ability would be a lot better if I had left my focus solely on that.
YO, I rather be a great guitarist than an average everything.

Edit: Actually thiking about it, I rather be a great guitarist and an average everything else.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Jul 3, 2010,
Well although my primary instrument is the guitar, learning bass, drums and how to sing helped me understand the guitar's place in a band better, and how to arrange songs more creatively.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Depends. Do you want to be multiinstrumentalist? As you can see there are many musicians who are more than average on instruments (Wonder etc). If you plan to be a guitarist then practice guitar, altough it never hurts to know some other instruments.
Live each day as if its your last.
Well, I think it's a good thing to get to know as much different instruments as possible.
It's good to have different perspectives on music.

I wouldnt try to master more then 2 instruments tho.. I'd say have an instrument of choice and one other (different type) instrument to get somewhat proficient in.
Two could also work, but that's already a stretch.
I would like to be seen as being proficient at playing the guitar and capable of playing some other instruments as well.

I have a list of instruments that I want to be able to play with some ability, but I know that I'll never have the time and dedication to master them.
Id rather be great at lots of instruments, or at least be able to play competently on some and me great on a few others.
Oh yeah, and I would like to add that musicianship is a skill on it's own, independent from any instrument.

Making music is more than the technical knowledge of an instrument. Improving your playing skills on an instrument will better translate your musicality to the instrument, but experiencing other ways of making music will definitly improve both your feeling&expressing side of being a musician as well as your intelectual, theory understanding of things.

Slightly related, it's also cool and usefull to learn pieces written for a different instrument. Like a brass piece. Or maybe a organ piece from Bach? Sometimes stuff wont work, or translate easily, so you're practicing your creativity. Also, a lot of musical instruments kinda live in their own worlds, it's kinda like a guitar players mostly looking and practicing from other guitar players. Sometimes it's fresh to learn from a different 'culture', no?