You guys probably think they're peices of shit with strings but I love the tone you can get with the right one. I'm starting a project on a stang' and I need some opinions here.

As you probably know Mustang pickup swaps are a must. I want the tone to remain somewhat similar to the original minus the buzz with higher output pickups. I was thinking of Kinmans, Lace Sensor, or Seymour Duncans but would these change that mustang growl that sounds somewhat between a tele and a strat? Are their any other pickups that will make the mustang sound somewhat like the original? Any thoughts?
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 3, 2010,
I love Mustangs! This guy I know has an original 69' with the competition stripe, it sits in his case under his bed and is in dire need of some TLC. I want it.

ANYWAY I've heard tons of good things about Seymour Duncan, and while browsing Musicians friend I can across these.http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SSL1-Vintage-Staggered-Guitar-Pickup?sku=300321 or http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/progressive/fivetwo_for_str/

or the Seymour Duncan's recommended below.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jul 3, 2010,
Wow. I was so excited that I saw a Mustang thread that I completely forgot that.
Epic Fail on my part.

I shall correct this.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jul 3, 2010,
I thought the whole reason to own a mustang was to get its unique sound made by the pups, to have a nice trem and to have a 24" scale guitar... Anyway, I don't own one but it sounds different. Its not high on my list of guitars to buy but if I found one for cheap I'd get it and play it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I thought the whole reason to own a mustang was to get its unique sound made by the pups, to have a nice trem and to have a 24" scale guitar... Anyway, I don't own one but it sounds different. Its not high on my list of guitars to buy but if I found one for cheap I'd get it and play it.

Which brings me to the whole point.. I want to get that same tone only I want to get rid of the buzz and I want a higher output. I played some Mustangs before and I loved the way they played and sounded but I just wanted a little more of a kick from those reissues pickups. I love their tone and the way they look, they fit exactly what I'm trying to do music wise.
I wouldn't buy one since I'm a bigger guy and it would just look stupid on me. But I love the tone! I've heard great things about Seymour Duncan Antiquity series pups. http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SEYAIIMM

As I understand, 'Stang pups are just Strat pups that have flush-mounted polepieces (think Tele) so that they can fit the flat cover. I'm not sure how different this sounds, the difference between flush-mounted or ones that stick out? It'd be interesting to hear the two side by side.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I wouldn't buy one since I'm a bigger guy and it would just look stupid on me. But I love the tone! I've heard great things about Seymour Duncan Antiquity series pups. http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SEYAIIMM

As I understand, 'Stang pups are just Strat pups that have flush-mounted polepieces (think Tele) so that they can fit the flat cover. I'm not sure how different this sounds, the difference between flush-mounted or ones that stick out? It'd be interesting to hear the two side by side.

I'm a big guy too but I like the short scale necks. For some reason the strats i've played and the Mustangs I played sound different output wise. (My primary guitar is a 1695 reissue American Stratocaster.) Anyhow what do people think of the Kinman pickups? They intrigue me.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Just looked at those Seymour Duncan pups, they look good. Those ones are noiseless correct and they'd keep a similar tone to the originals?
Quote by SmokeJs
Just looked at those Seymour Duncan pups, they look good. Those ones are noiseless correct and they'd keep a similar tone to the originals?

It's a tough call. The Neovin bridge pup in my Tele is noiseless and sounds just as twangy as any other Tele I've heard.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden