I'm trying to experiment with getting some guitar tones, and then basing mine off of them, and I was wondering, is it just me or is the AFI Guitar tone from Sing the Sorrow pretty high on bass and mids, and low on treble/highs, or am i hearing it wrong?

EDIT: I was refering to the distorted tone there. It seems like the clean tone might have a bit more treble. Right?
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Jul 3, 2010,
I don't know man. I'm not that good with tones. AFI is pretty sweet though. Might check them out now. I used to listen to them before I moved on.
Sing The Sorrow was recorded with a Dual Rectifier, a heavily modded Marshall Plexi and Vox AC30 for cleans. Sing the Sorrow is my all time favourite album

Jade's tone was quite mid heavy but Dreamworks did wonders for the production of that album also. What kind of amp are you using because they had a lot of great gear behind them. A Dual Rectifier or Marshall DSL would be a good place to start
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 3, 2010,
Yeah well I have nothing even close to those x.x
It's a shitty Marshall Solid State...

I'm working on upgrading, though.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Which Marshall solid state, because I have a 1988 Marshall Lead 12 and it's great for mid to high gain hard rock tones. Assuming it's an MG though, a new amp is on the cards for you
My favorite album of all time. My favorite rhythm guitar tone of all time.

Jade pretty much said this himself:
The tone is 80% modified Marshall Plexi (Billie Joe mod), and 20% Dual Rectifier. Not sure how he did it, but most likely mic'd both amps at once and mixed accordingly, or reamped through both amps, and again, mixed 80/20.

The best place to start, as someone said above, would be a Dual Rectifier. You'll also be able to nail BSITS and AOD tones as he used only a Dual Recto for those.

edit:
As for settings, I don't really understand the tone myself. It seems be a bit mid-rangey, but also scooped and modern at the same time. It's got a bit of fizz, but it's very full. It's not too bassy though. It's also not as high gain as you'd think. The distorted tones are VERY mid-gain. As you can hear, his palm mutes are very subtle, though punchy. He turned the gain WAY down for STS as opposed to BSITS and AOD.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 3, 2010,