I notice that my picky moves up and away from the string farther than any other finger. I tried to keep it down over some chromatic excersises, but it takes a lot of work. Just like anything, time and practice will only be the contributer to what I want to achieve.....

BUT!, I noticed many great players like for instance, rusty cooley(not saying I'm a fan of his music), still flutter their pinky out more than their other fingers, and they obviously still play flawlessly and very speedily.

So is focusing on getting the pinky to move less really going to have any major benefits(speed, precision)or is it just going to make me feel a little better on the inside everything i see a fluttering pinky?
When you look at it from an economy-of-motion standpoint, it would make a difference, but only if you were playing at higher tempos.
Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.

Cool.
My pinky does that too - most great guitarists pinky moves alot, the less motion you can play accurately and fast with the better though. Try to keep the pinky down as it will help in the long run, make a conscious effort to do it but dont think its the most important thing.
do u mean that when we don't use pinky our pinky will shake???coz i had the problem too...
Quote by kenz.94
do u mean that when we don't use pinky our pinky will shake???coz i had the problem too...

No, didnt say that. Ive gotten to a point to where my pinky isnt flying all over the place without direction. It sits pretty just like I tell it to - its a matter of doing the right exercises to strengthen it. Chromatics work and so do trills. Try rocking an easy trill for as long as possible like

e|-----------
B|-----------
G|-----------
D|-----------
A|-----------
E|-1h4p1h4p1-

Do it on every string =)
Quote by uberwigget
BUT!, I noticed many great players like for instance, rusty cooley(not saying I'm a fan of his music), still flutter their pinky out more than their other fingers, and they obviously still play flawlessly and very speedily.

First off, nobody is flawless. It can e ones goal, but the real progress is found somewhere inbetween slop and perfection. A lot of guitarists people feel the need to worship actually aren't THAT great. They just put some time in. Look at any video of John Petrucci playing, his pinky is tucked behind the freaking neck. Horrible. If you want your pinky to behave, then work on it, but don't stress out too much over it, okay?

Remember; you DO have to move your fingers to play guitar. If I had found a way to play with absolutely no motion, trust me you would all know by now.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."