Hey guys.
My problem is simply: I cannot play with a metronome.
As soon as I hit start button my right hand gets frustrated to keep the timing right and as a result I play out of rythm and tensed.
As soon as I turn metronome off my right hand feels free and completely relaxed. I can play easily faster aswell without a metronome.

I don't know what to do at this point, really.
My teacher ran out of ideas of how to keep my timing exact while playing with a metronome.
And it's not a killing tempo. I cannot play it properly at 90bpm x_X.
It's also extremely frustrating for me and ruins my positive vibe for the rest of the day .

Have you got any ideas for me?
It playing to a metronome something you can get used/reused to throughout a time and should I keep on tryin no matter that my right hand gets crazy while I do play with a metronome?
Gettin' better ^_^
Sounds like performance anxiety. Try setting the metronome and keeping the beat in your head, turning off the metronome, then marching your feet and swinging your picking hand up and down to the beat.
Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.

Cool.
Try starting with half notes (or even whole notes) first. Always start really slow.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Maybe I should get some rythm excercises that don't involve guitar?
Gettin' better ^_^
That couldn't hurt. I recommend pots and pans.
Quote by Tsucchi

Cool.
You take various sized pots and pans, 2 wooden spatulas, sit yourself down on the ground, arrange said pots and pans around you, put on some music, and become the best drummer your kitchen has ever seen.
Quote by Tsucchi

Cool.
Are there any other forms of training my rythmic ear? Like some sort of excercies that I could check results with correct answers or something?
Gettin' better ^_^
If you are new to playing a metronome than this is really regular. It is hard to play to a metronome at first but you get used to it. 90bpm? maybe you should turn it down to 60-70bpm and play a simple exercise like the 6 string spider to it (2 notes per beat) so that you can get used to playing with a metronome. or just pick a simple chord like G and just strum downstrokes on the beat.

I remembered it was a struggle at first but like everything else on a guitar, keep at it and things will click in to place (no pun intended).

As for ear exercises....well listening to the metronome and tapping your foot to the beat is a good idea. or mini-headbang your head to it. I cant tap my foot and play to metronome but when I play with a metronome i do a mini-headbang to each beat. This can even be done to your own music on your ipod when you are out and about. Ive been trying to keep the beat to my music as of late when im waiting for or on buses
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Quote by Sadokun
.well listening to the metronome and tapping your foot to the beat is a good idea. or mini-headbang your head to it. I cant tap my foot and play to metronome but when I play with a metronome i do a mini-headbang to each beat.

What he said. Plus, when you start the metronome just headbang to the beat for... I don't know, like a minute until you "get" it. Then get the guitar and play to it. Maybe you'll find it easier this way.

And why don't you try to find a pc metronome that has other sounds too? Like a snare drum, or kick. This way, it might be more "natural" for you to hear an actual drum sound... If I remember, I'll upload this metronome for you.
How to Program a Metalhead ?
That metronome with the drum beat sounds good

I can play to a metronome with standard 4/4 but i can't play 8/4 or 18/4 for the life of my at all

Even going 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 doesn't seem to help >_<
Quote by Wise_One
What he said. Plus, when you start the metronome just headbang to the beat for... I don't know, like a minute until you "get" it. Then get the guitar and play to it. Maybe you'll find it easier this way.

And why don't you try to find a pc metronome that has other sounds too? Like a snare drum, or kick. This way, it might be more "natural" for you to hear an actual drum sound... If I remember, I'll upload this metronome for you.

Cheers for backing up.

Adding to yours, try this:
http://advanced.bestmetronome.com/
I found it a few hours ago, I aint used it yet because it needs an add-on and im on someone elses pc. Seems to be what Wise_one described
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Don't try to chase the metronome and kill yourself over being perfectly on the beat. Use the metronome to feel the beat, and keep the beat yourself. If you hear yourself getting off the beat, just stop and correct it.

I find that it helps to always be moving some part of my body. Maybe tap your foot or nod your head, or even rock your whole body back and forth with the beat. Also, before you even start playing, it's a good idea to just sit and listen to the tempo for a few measures to really get it into your head. Again, tap your foot or something.

I bet you're fine when you're playing along with a drummer or playing to a song, right? You're feeling the beat there. Honestly, I mostly use the metronome to work on accents and playing different divisions of the beat (triplets, eighths, sixteenths, etc.)
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
I've tried your advices and atm I finally got the beat. I can feel it.
But as I go to 100bpm and higher my biceps/triceps (whatever- the higher part of my art above elbow) tenses up quite badly.
Should I slow down until it feels completely effortless for all of my muslces?
Gettin' better ^_^
You need to learn how to do it without your guitar, to make it more natural you have to use only your body

A good excersize would be to keep the beat of the metronome clapping your hands or tapping your foot, and above that, sing the melody or riff or anything you are trying to play
Quote by Shadowy
But as I go to 100bpm and higher my biceps/triceps (whatever- the higher part of my art above elbow) tenses up quite badly.
Yup, play slowly and relaxed. You'll get up to the higher tempos. The point of a metronome isn't to build speed though. It's for your timing. Speed will come naturally as you practice at speeds where you can nail all the notes in time.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
What happens if you replaced the metronome click with a steady drum beat?
Quote by Shadowy
Hey guys.
My problem is simply: I cannot play with a metronome.
As soon as I hit start button my right hand gets frustrated to keep the timing right and as a result I play out of rythm and tensed.
As soon as I turn metronome off my right hand feels free and completely relaxed. I can play easily faster aswell without a metronome.

I don't know what to do at this point, really.
My teacher ran out of ideas of how to keep my timing exact while playing with a metronome.
And it's not a killing tempo. I cannot play it properly at 90bpm x_X.
It's also extremely frustrating for me and ruins my positive vibe for the rest of the day .

Have you got any ideas for me?
It playing to a metronome something you can get used/reused to throughout a time and should I keep on tryin no matter that my right hand gets crazy while I do play with a metronome?

Talk it out with your hand =) Listen and repeat the beat and pick to your voice.. for instance start with whole notes.. go 1 2 3 4 then halfs 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and then thirds 1 e and 2 e and 3 e and 4 e and then move to 16th notes 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a... Pick as your keep beat with your voice - this will help you alot.
Quote by Shadowy

Stretch before playing, mellow out - Listen to a slow song and find the rhythm with your pick.. try to use your wrist more than your arm for picking, dont think that hitting the string hard is extremely important get the mechanics of movement down by just doing it over and over again with only your wrist. Move on from there =)
But some of my wrist muscles have to be somehow involed in my right hand movement even if I play from the wrist (what I do). At some degree they must be working to make my wrist move up and down along with the right hand.
How do I tell whether certain tension of working muslces is to much and I should slow down?
Gettin' better ^_^
I finally managed to get the hang of 8/4 man i feel so good about that now, Managed to get up to 120BMP without errors and started from 80BPM I only did it for 15mins or so

But i figured by doing

11 22 33 44 (fret wise)

I had to change fret each "click"
Quote by BoL7z
I finally managed to get the hang of 8/4 man i feel so good about that now, Managed to get up to 120BMP without errors and started from 80BPM I only did it for 15mins or so

But i figured by doing

11 22 33 44 (fret wise)

I had to change fret each "click"

Awesome =) Rock it out with single notes and do 4 notes per click =) You were playing 8th notes =) which is great ! Keep it up - push the envelope it will keep you advancing =)
I can get it relaxed at 90. That's pathetic. At 100 it costs me some unpleasant effort to keep it in time and controlled. I've got ono idea how to get passed 90...
Gettin' better ^_^
Shadowy... from what I know, you just keep going up by 2 BPM each time. Find out where your plateau is at, then drop it by 2-4BPM. Practice at that speed for a while, and go up 2-4 more BPM. This is all from reading though - I'm still trying to get the hang of the damn things. But from what I know you have to just go VERY slow with your increments to help gradually build up your technique. It is possible for your body to learn it at one speed, but if you don't apply it to other speeds (Such as others in between) then you will have trouble just jumping up to that "next" speed.

I have a question though that perhaps someone can answer for me. First - music is denoted by it's time signature ie 4/4 etc. Well on tabs you just get a BPM value sometimes. How does the BPM corrolate to the time signature? Is it just another way of stating the same thing or does it really change how the song sounds, what determines the BPM of a song, just whoever made it up or is it partially due to some of the notes they are playing?
Try playing to a drum track instead, or a jam track. If you can do that, you should be able to do it with a click.
Okay. Today I've had a lesson with me teacher and we got it up to 150. Small movements on the strings and strenght control is a key to this.
Gettin' better ^_^